Author Topic: First time handgun purchase, advice?  (Read 3955 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: First time handgun purchase, advice?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 01:03:11 am »
Well if you ever do.  Keep the gun close and sleep with one eye open

The burbs ain't bad - I spent some time around Tualatin and Gresham.

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 01:07:25 am »
   Shooting your girlfriend will only strengthen her resolve, I don't recommend it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 01:19:42 am »
First handgun?  One word:  Revolver.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 01:24:36 am »
   Shooting your girlfriend will only strengthen her resolve, I don't recommend it.

I will reckon he is about to find a reason for disagreement with his darlin. I doubt she will be very supportive with his venture into 'assault weapons'... :whistle:

A test if there ever was one... Followed by 'I'm thinking of taking up hunting....'

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 01:26:11 am »
I will reckon he is about to find a reason for disagreement with his darlin. I doubt she will be very supportive with his venture into 'assault weapons'... :whistle:

A test if there ever was one... Followed by 'I'm thinking of taking up hunting....'

He can just tell her the AR-15 is a "Sporting Rifle."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:28 am »
He can just tell her the AR-15 is a "Sporting Rifle."

...Which it actually is...  :whistle:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:55 am »
YEP. It's nice like that. And .357 mag is enough for taking out a hoomin. Heck, a .38 will make em want to go home... But then, griz. Ol Warden Louie Kiss had a bear turn on him when he was letting it out (relocation bear), and that bear took all 6 at extremely close range and still messed him up bad.

That was when I decided to upgrade to .45 Colt, and stayed there most my life.
We have that in common. Traded my .357 for a Springfield 1911 mil-spec. Surprisingly accurate, as well.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 01:36:49 am »
We have that in common. Traded my .357 for a Springfield 1911 mil-spec. Surprisingly accurate, as well.

"A 9mm kills your body, a .45 will kill your soul."
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 01:41:39 am »

Yep. I got a Rock Island 1911 in .45 ACP to replace the Peacemaker... I will probably keep it, but it is hard to shift 35 years of muscle memory. I am going back to a .45 Colt single action where I belong.  :shrug:

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28:34 pm »
-Affordable/easy to find
-Affordable/easy to find ammo

Here's where you're going to have a problem.  We are in the sixth month of what is arguably the largest gun run in American history.  Gun availability is intermittent at best.  Ammo supplies, especially of handgun ammo, are almost non-existent.  What can be had is ridiculously priced most places. 

The Taurus G2C/G3 is a good recommendation.  Also look at the Smith & Wesson 9 Shield EZ.  You're probably going to end up having to take what you can find - don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  If you basically like it and can afford it you should get it - now. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 12:33:52 pm »
I have to admit I really like my Taurus G2C. Shoots nice and easy to break down for cleaning. And it was inexpensive.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rustynail

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 12:37:34 pm »
Could a gun thread be started to gather information about gun ownership?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 01:06:22 pm »
First handgun?  One word:  Revolver.

I agree. I taught myself to shoot handguns with 2 revolvers. A Ruger Single Six in .22 and a 3in bbl S&W Model 36 38Special. You can't beat learning to shoot with a 22. Now for a 38, it should be easy to find a good used S&W Model 10 as they made over 6 Million of them. As I had taught myself reloading when I purchased my first gun at 13, I've done most of my handgun shooting with my 38 as I can reload 38s for cheaper than I can purchase 22 shells. But reloading is a whole nuther topic.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 01:08:50 pm »

Worth thinking about.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 01:35:58 pm »

Gun Ownership to me; I taught myself, as my mother was totally afraid of guns. My grandfather had 3 girls, had guns all over the house, but did no firearm training for any of them. My mom forbid me to even have a bb gun. My GrandPa gave me a 22 rifle but I had to leave it at his house. Finally I broke my mom down and she let me get a bb gun. I bought my own gun magazines and reinstilled a love to hunt in my dad. And then it was on. To me for almost all my life, gun ownership was for hunting, can plinking, and target shooting. It never occurred to me to have a handgun solely for protection. While hunting I'd strap on my Ruger Blackhawk .45, but not for protection from 2 legged creatures.

Start your children, or even yourself, out with a BB Gun, then an Air Rifle, and then a .22 rifle. Read Sporting/Wildllife magazines. Find a safe place to shoot. I hate having to go and shoot at a range. Find a place to hunt. You can start out with small game. Then you can then step up to handguns.

Gun ownership solely for personal protection is a concept that is really foreign to me. Yes, I've carried a concealed weapon, mostly when I walk my dogs, in case of attacking dogs. But I really didn't want to shoot a dog, so I now carry an ASP baton. For house protection, I have my M1Carbine at the ready, with many backups avail.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2020, 01:52:44 pm »
How to Buy Your First Handgun 101 - Your Guide To Buying Your First Pistol. Official Video

•Mar 31, 2014

Bond Arms

http://bondarms.com

Discover how to buy the perfect first handgun for you.  How to buy your first handgun 101 was created to help you pick your first handgun.  For a limited time we are taking our full length DVD and making it available for free to show you how you can make sure to get the best handgun for your needs.

In the video we cover:

-Overall Buying a Handgun concepts
-Firearm Safety
-Handgun Terminology for semi-automatic, revolvers and derringers
-Pros And Cons Of Different Handgun Styles
-What to Consider When Purchasing Your New Handgun
-What's the Best Ammunition For Me?
-Bonus Features

Visit http://bondarms.com or http://doublebarrelproducts.com for more information

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »

It ain't that I own guns. It's finding the guns I own. For every one I have here, there are two out in the sticks. And the same goes for ammo.

While we're on the subject, anybody got a recommendation for a good takedown recurve bow?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2020, 02:04:09 pm »
It ain't that I own guns. It's finding the guns I own. For every one I have here, there are two out in the sticks. And the same goes for ammo.

While we're on the subject, anybody got a recommendation for a good takedown recurve bow?

I was thinking a bit more on this - given the rush to buy firearms by millions of Americans this past year, and over the past decade for that matter, monitoring a thread like this trying to get a useful amount of info would be a colossal waste of time. Still prolly a good idea to limit what we tell over the interwebs.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2020, 02:14:59 pm »
I was thinking a bit more on this - given the rush to buy firearms by millions of Americans this past year, and over the past decade for that matter, monitoring a thread like this trying to get a useful amount of info would be a colossal waste of time. Still prolly a good idea to limit what we tell over the interwebs.

It is certainly a waste of time in my case. All my guns were bought cash second hand with the exception of two. There is no record on em, nothing to track. Even trying to guess how many I own would be impossible. But I have enough. Other than that little Mossberg sawed off upthread. I don't have enough of them. This is the year to beef up my 12ga I guess. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 02:25:01 pm »

Valid point.  In my case, both of my weapons are registered and I have no problem advertising to anyone hostile to my interests that I own them.  I do realize we are but one election away from my guns suddenly getting "stolen."  That would be a doggone shame, but better stolen than confiscated, I say.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:22 pm »
...but then there was that unfortunate boating accident on Lake Powell.....
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2020, 12:22:56 am »
@NewEnglandConservatarian

A -shot 357 Magnum double action revolver with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. There is no gun safer for a new user to own or handle,and you  can buy and shoot the cheaper 38 Special bullets to learn how to handle the gun safely and shoot it accurately.

Do NOT buy a "snub gun" because they are wildly inaccurate unless you are an experienced shooter. Stay with the 4 to 6 inch barrels in a medium-frame revolver.

MY suggestion is a stainless steel Ruger.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:24:31 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2020, 12:26:37 am »
I don't think your $150 threshold is realistic.

I would say impossible unless you are buying a stolen gun.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2020, 12:27:59 am »
Any suggestions anyone on plentiful and affordable ammo?

Look around for a gun store that sells reloads,and buy your 357 Magnun/38 Special revolver from that store.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:31 am »
Valid point.  In my case, both of my weapons are registered and I have no problem advertising to anyone hostile to my interests that I own them.  I do realize we are but one election away from my guns suddenly getting "stolen."  That would be a doggone shame, but better stolen than confiscated, I say.

I have read gun stores are only obligated to keep records for a limited time - 7 years? - and after that there is no record of purchase. By law the government is not able to store background check info. No one knows anything about what I own and I intend to keep it that way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:30:52 am by skeeter »