Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg to lie in repose at the Supreme Court this week The public will be allowed to pa  (Read 929 times)

Offline RedHead

So no where does it say that hearings are required. This means that Cocaine Mitch can, after receiving the official nomination call the vote during the Judiciary Committee Meeting, and after receiving a Majority of Yea's put it up to a Senate vote, or even just take it right to the Senate with no committee meeting. Which is exactly what a number of us have stated.
Senate rules say hearings are required.  Article I, Section 5: "Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."   If the Senate decides it needs to hold hearings before voting on a nomination then there is nothing unconstitutional about it.  And since McConnell is not on the Judiciary Committee he can call the vote.  That would be Lindsay Graham.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
:pondering: Is this out of respect or to make sure she doesn't rise from the dead.....................................again.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm sure Mr. McConnell will schedule -some- kind of "hearings", if only pro forma and only for a couple of days. It would help if he excluded all cameras and live reporting, so the democrat-communists couldn't grandstand to them.

Having said that, hearings or no hearings, here's another "Fishrrman you read it here from me first" prediction:

When nothing else appears to be working, watch the Senate democrat-communists do a "walk out" to deny the Republicans a quorum, and in doing so prevent a floor vote.

They did this back when Scott Walker was governor of Wisconsin, and I seem to recall them doing it somewhere else, too -- was it in Indiana?

Don't put this past them.
They'll try anything...

Offline RedHead

Yeah here's the thing Senate Consideration of Presidential
Nominations: Committee and Floor Procedure
 https://www.senate.gov/CRSpubs/74919ab6-b407-451c-b429-702e9ae8dcb1.pdf

No where in there does it say they are required. So it is no so much a "rule" as a formality.

"When nominations shall be made by the President of the United States to the Senate, they shall, unless otherwise ordered, be referred to appropriate committees;"  In order to bypass that both the majority and minority leader need to agree.  What do you suppose the chance of that is?

Regardless, Trump's nominee is going to be approved.  Probably before the election. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Outside of the Orthodox societies, funerals seldom take place within 24 hours.  It's supposed to happen as soon as possible but that's a nebulous term.  Since Ginsburg wasn't an Orthodox Jew this delay in burial isn't surprising.

She also died on Rosh Hashanah Eve so even if she was an ordinary person she had to wait til the holiday was over to be buried. My father passed on Rosh Hashanah Eve and we had to wait a few days before we could bury him.
@RedHead 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:39:54 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline RedHead

I'm sure Mr. McConnell will schedule -some- kind of "hearings", if only pro forma and only for a couple of days. It would help if he excluded all cameras and live reporting, so the democrat-communists couldn't grandstand to them.

No cameras?  Then how will the individual senators showboat during the hearings?

Having said that, hearings or no hearings, here's another "Fishrrman you read it here from me first" prediction:

When nothing else appears to be working, watch the Senate democrat-communists do a "walk out" to deny the Republicans a quorum, and in doing so prevent a floor vote.

Fifty-one Senators constitute a quorum.  It can be less than that because a quorum is presumed unless a rollcall is called.  And if no Democrats are present then who will call for a rollcall?

They did this back when Scott Walker was governor of Wisconsin, and I seem to recall them doing it somewhere else, too -- was it in Indiana?

Don't put this past them.
They'll try anything...

Senate rules for the Wisconsin legislature are not the same as for the U.S. Senate.

Offline mountaineer

...   Anyway, I've had my fill of all the lefty Jews and lefty lefties running out of the room in their tear buckets for RBG, RIP. Bader Ginsburg was born Jewish, but turned away from Judaism purposely and decisively. Period. She was more animated by leftist principles than Jewish ones, and even the biggest "Justice, justice shall you pursue" sign on a door, as she is alleged to have had, does not make it otherwise.

Lying in state is not Jewish, by the way. It's definitely one of the least Jewish death-related things around, other than cremation. She is being venerated for her leftist values by the masses, not for Jewish ones. Having said that, according to Jewish law, a Jew remains a Jew, regardless of professions of faith or a lack thereof.   ...
Laura Rosen Cohen, writing at Steyn Online
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org