Author Topic: Cops Find 200 ‘Irreplaceable’ Books—Including Originals by Galileo Galilei and Isaac Newton—Buried i  (Read 821 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

ROME—For the last three years, police in the U.K., Italy, and Romania have been trying to figure out what three men convicted of stealing $3.2 million worth of “irreplaceable” books did with them.

This week, they got their break after searching a home in Neamt in northeastern Romania where they lifted floorboards to find a cement tomb with all 200 books carefully wrapped and hidden.

The spectacular book heist in January 2017 could be a Mission Impossible plot line, with two of the thieves cutting a hole in the skylights of a postal transit warehouse in West London, and then balancing on rafters and upper bookshelves while they fished original first edition tomes written by Galileo, Isaac Newton, and Goya off the shelves, skirting the laser detectors on the floors.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cops-find-200-irreplaceable-books-including-originals-by-galileo-galilei-and-isaac-newton-buried-in-romania
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I find it wonderful that the books have been recovered. When you consider all of the possible misfortunes which might have occurred, it is good that these have survived and were put up relatively carefully in the first place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis