Author Topic: The enduring popularity of the brisket-doughnut sandwich  (Read 265 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The enduring popularity of the brisket-doughnut sandwich
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:11:00 am »
Houston Chronicle by  J.C. Reid Sep. 25, 2020

Texas barbecue has evolved wildly in the past 10 years by combining both traditional and innovative ingredients and techniques. Certainly, the Texas trinity of brisket, pork ribs and sausage still rules the roost for menu items that will be found on essentially every barbecue-joint menu.

Beyond that, menu items can spin off in many different directions. For instance, beef and pork burnt ends — a traditional dish of Kansas City barbecue — have become creative outlets for Texas pitmasters.

One of the more enduring and head-scratching menu items is the brisket-doughnut sandwich. At its most basic, this is a glazed doughnut cut in half so that the two slices act as a bun, which is then filled with chopped brisket and sauce. Pickles, jalapeños or onions add acidity to the flood of fat, sugar and salt.

It’s a Texas-barbecue take on the recent food trend of blending sweet and savory ingredients. Perhaps the earliest and most famous example of this trend is the McDonald’s McGriddle sandwich that combines eggs and bacon in maple-syrup-soaked pancake buns.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/The-enduring-popularity-of-the-brisket-doughnut-15596882.php

Apple fritter slider (left) and brisket doughnut (right) at Pizzitola’s Bar-B-Cue

Online rustynail

Re: The enduring popularity of the brisket-doughnut sandwich
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:39:00 am »
I would try them.  They look good.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 05:04:21 pm »
Do it maple-glazed and forget M's "McGriddle"! Or plain glazed with a creamy wasabi sauce, :smokin: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:12:15 pm »
Ewww. Not a fan of glazed doughnuts. Much as I love brisket, this one's a "NO."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 05:40:21 pm »
Ewww. Not a fan of glazed doughnuts. Much as I love brisket, this one's a "NO."

Depends on who's. I can't stand Krispy Kreme, but I love Shipley's and Mary Lee's glazed donuts.

But if you don't care for glazed, then its brisket kolache's for you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »
I decline to condemn this food choice until I have had the opportunity to try one myself.    One drawback of modern criticism is the laziness to forego primary research. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide