Author Topic: Column: The rumor mill in Oregon has got the wildfires figured out — it’s all antifa’s fault  (Read 460 times)

rangerrebew

Column: The rumor mill in Oregon has got the wildfires figured out — it’s all antifa’s fault

Alissa Azar stopped her car near Molalla, Ore. on Sept. 10, 2020 to take a photograph of this sign when she was confronted by men with guns who said they were trying to prevent looting and rioting.

By Robin AbcarianColumnist
Sep. 16, 2020

Alissa Azar, an independent journalist who spent the summer covering protests and political clashes in Portland, changed her focus after unprecedented wildfires broke out in western Oregon.

She wanted to cover stories about how people pitched in to help one another in a time of crisis.

Last week, she and two colleagues were near Molalla, a hamlet about 30 miles south of Portland. Fire authorities had just ordered the town evacuated, and Azar, along with journalists Justin Yau and Sergio Olmos, pulled over to take a picture of a fire danger meter, which was all the way in the red.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-09-16/oregon-rumor-mill-wildfires-fault-of-antifa

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From that article, and where the LA Times sinks to new lows on my credibility scale:

The Republican Party in Multnomah County (home to Portland), formally decided to hire two right-wing militia groups — Three Percenters and Oath Keepers — to provide security at its events, which seems analogous to the time the Rolling Stones hired Hells Angels to provide security at their Altamont concert. What could possibly go wrong?

Emphasis mine. WTF? Comparing Three Percenters and Oath Keepers with the H.A.?

And no, the rumors of ANTIFA types setting fires have NOT been "debunked", there have been numerous arrests.

Further:
In some of those towns, said Lowndes, who studies right-wing political trends, there were small Black Lives Matter protests, “and it became very dangerous for these activists and organizers because they would be met with wild fantasies about what BLM is and what antifa is.”

We had similar (small) protests in this end of my State, and no one was hurt, even though the protests were met with (armed) counter assemblies of concerned individuals. Any danger only existed for those breaking the law, not for the truly peaceful protesters.
As for "wild fantasies"? You mean like "Climate Change" is why Portland, Minneapolis, Baltimore, etc burned, and not ANTIFA and BLM rioters?

I guess these people forget they no longer control the narrative, except among those who want to believe, to steal a phrase from the X-files (which are likely closer to reality than the Times' account).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:02:56 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Kinda gives you "brain freeze",doesn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis