Author Topic: Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False  (Read 305 times)

rangerrebew

Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False

Ten years ago, a researcher claimed most published research findings are false; now a decade later, his claim is stronger than ever before. How can this be?
Simon Oxenham

The rise of the Internet has worked wonders for the public's access to science, but this has come with the side effect of a toxic combination of confirmation bias and Google, enabling us to easily find a study to support whatever it is that we already believe, without bothering to so much as look at research that might challenge our position — or the research that supports our position for that matter. I'm certainly not immune myself from credulously accepting research that has later been called into question, even on this blog where I take great effort to take a skeptical approach and highlight false claims arising from research. Could it be the case that studies with incorrect findings are not just rare anomalies, but are actually representative of the majority of published research?

https://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/believe-it-or-not-most-published-research-findings-are-probably-false

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18:46 pm »
Believe It Or Not, Most Published Research Findings Are Probably False

Ten years ago, a researcher claimed most published research findings are false; now a decade later, his claim is stronger than ever before. How can this be?
Simon Oxenham

The rise of the Internet has worked wonders for the public's access to science, but this has come with the side effect of a toxic combination of confirmation bias and Google, enabling us to easily find a study to support whatever it is that we already believe, without bothering to so much as look at research that might challenge our position — or the research that supports our position for that matter.
https://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/believe-it-or-not-most-published-research-findings-are-probably-false
Well, unless you disagree with the Globalist orthodoxy, then Google moves it down in the rankings, facebook labels it as "false", and people get the boot from twitter for posting it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:40:06 pm »
Except in the nuclear power field. Fraudelent research and documents are a criminal matter and the NRC does not hesitate one millisecond to prosecute.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 04:51:26 pm »
Could it be the case that studies with incorrect findings are not just rare anomalies, but are actually representative of the majority of published research?

YES. And it has been so for a very very long time. Piltdown Man, anyone?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 05:20:07 pm »
Well, unless you disagree with the Globalist orthodoxy, then Google moves it down in the rankings, facebook labels it as "false", and people get the boot from twitter for posting it.

Right. The politicization of science.

Here is some ridiculous carp for ya.

13 Academics Sign Letter Claiming Term “Quantum Supremacy” is Racist

13 academics have signed a letter asserting that the scientific term “quantum supremacy” is racist and shouldn’t be used.

Yes, this actually happened and it’s not the Onion.

A Google computer recently achieved quantum supremacy by managing to perform a calculation in 200 seconds that would have taken the world’s most powerful supercomputer 10,000 years.

However, instead of celebrating this accomplishment, some academics were instead triggered by the use of the term “quantum supremacy”.

They signed a letter, which was subsequently published by Nature, claiming the term was racist.

“In our view, ‘supremacy’ has overtones of violence, neocolonialism and racism through its association with ‘white supremacy,’” the letter states. “We call for the community to use ‘quantum advantage’ instead.”

https://summit.news/2019/12/16/13-academics-sign-letter-claiming-term-quantum-supremacy-is-racist/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley