Author Topic: USC Suspended a Communications Professor for Saying a Chinese Word That Sounds Like a Racial Slur  (Read 255 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

USC Suspended a Communications Professor for Saying a Chinese Word That Sounds Like a Racial Slur

https://reason.com/2020/09/03/usc-greg-patton-chinese-word-offended-students/

Greg Patton is a professor of clinical business communication at the University of Southern California. During a recent virtual classroom session, he was discussing public speaking patterns and the filler words that people use to space out their ideas: um, er, etc. Patton mentioned that the Chinese often use a word that is pronounced like nega.

"In China the common word is 'that, that that that,' so in China it might be 'nega, nega, nega, nega,'" Patton explained to his class. "So there's different words you'll hear in different cultures, but they're vocal disfluencies."

But because the Chinese word nega sounds like (N-word), some students were offended and reported the matter to the administration. Patton is now suspended, according to Campus Reform:

I get that this is not common knowledge throughout the US, but how in Hades can profs and admins at a major university not know about this common usage among Mandarin-speaking Chinese people?! It's like English speakers saying, "Uh," or, "You know," or similar brief bridges while a speaker gathers their thoughts.

I knew this over 20 years ago. Having heard it hundreds or thousands of times, I can say that "nega" does NOT sound like the the N-word.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That was rather niggardly of them.  888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Did the USC Administrators find a chink in his armor?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

'nega, nega, nega, nega, why you eat so much chicken?"