Author Topic: A 59-year-old Army and Marine vet, who served in Afghanistan, just graduated Army basic combat train  (Read 252 times)

rangerrebew

A 59-year-old Army and Marine vet, who served in Afghanistan, just graduated Army basic combat training
Kyle Rempfer

A 59-year-old former Marine and civil affairs soldier graduated Army basic combat training last week — a prerequisite for him to enter the Army Reserve after a 10-year break in his military service.

Staff Sgt. Monte L. Gould, who served in Afghanistan in 2004, left the Army two-and-a-half years short of retirement in 2009 to move home and spend more time with his family.

But as work and civilian life calmed down, Gould began a year-long process to reenlist with the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion detachment out of Las Vegas, Nevada. His son also serves in that unit, Gould told Army Times in January as he prepared for a June basic combat training class at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

Before he officially graduated last week, Gould shared some of his experiences and talked about what it was

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/09/01/a-59-year-old-army-and-marine-vet-who-served-in-afghanistan-just-graduated-army-basic-combat-training/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Basic training is no real struggle for the typical young soldier. Granted,the typical 59 year old will struggle more than the typical 18 year old,but if there are no underlying serious medical conditions,no big deal.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
He must of found someone to pull for him as he has to be way over the age limit for re-enlistment. I once talked to the Navy about re-enlisting and was told I was within months of being too old and I was in my 30's. But I know that all rules are made to be broken.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He must of found someone to pull for him as he has to be way over the age limit for re-enlistment. I once talked to the Navy about re-enlisting and was told I was within months of being too old and I was in my 30's. But I know that all rules are made to be broken.

I  knew a SGM E-9 and a SFC on active duty in Special Forces back in the late 60's and early 70's,and both had wooden legs. One stepped on a mine while in Laos on an operation in 1969. I was with him when it happened and laid down suppressive gunfire so he could be winched into a hovering Huey and get medical treatment.

I don't know how the SGM lost his leg,but it was no doubt due to gunfire or stepping on a mine.

Both were still on jump status,too.

BTW,I also knew a CWO that was in the original Army airborne test platoon,and made every combat jump the 82nd made in WW-2,and was with the 187th Abn in Korea. He was so far past maximum retirement age it was scary. He was also more than a little nuts. Was a Army boxing champ in the late 30's,and probably the first thing said to new people assigned to the unit was the question "Do you know Hardy Batchelor?" If they didn't they got a warning,and were told to take it seriously.

You did NOT bring a vehicle back to HIS motor pool and not wash it and refill it with fuel before turning it in. You MIGHT get one warning,but after that it was you and Hardy nose to nose,and he was offering to take off his shirt with the rank on and meet you behind his office to "discuss" it.

It wasn't unusual to visit the motor pool and see one of his mechanics walking around with a black eye.

On the other hand,when you signed out a vehicle from his motor pool,you KNEW it was in first class shape and needed nothing.

He was actually a VERY nice man IF he knew he could count on you to do your duty to the best of your ability. I liked and admire him,but I still had to turn down his offer to become his motor sgt. The only job I could imagine being worse than working in a motor pool would be serving as a cook.

Or a clerk. HATE office work.

I have no idea what he did in WW-2 or Korea,but there were a couple of Generals in the Pentagram playing the role of Rabbi for him,and you WERE going to lose if you crossed him after being warned,and didn't like what happened to you.

BTW,despite him being a W-4,if he knew you and knew you were conscientious about doing your duty,you could greet him by saying "Hi,Hardy!",even if you were a teenage PFC. Performance is what mattered to him,not rank
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:35:22 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!