Author Topic: Dry Fire Training To Improve Defensive Handgun Skills  (Read 668 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dry Fire Training To Improve Defensive Handgun Skills
« on: August 30, 2020, 02:31:07 pm »
Gun Digest By Richard A. Mann -July 14, 2020

Lack of range time is no excuse for gather rust. Here's the dry fire training that will keep your defensive handgun skills sharp as a tack.

What Are The Dry Fire Training You Should Focus On:

•   Trigger-Pull

•   Firearms Presentation

•   Follow-Through And Holstering

•   Reloading

•   Immediate Action: Stoppages

Dry fire training involves working with a firearm that’s unloaded. Admittedly, messing with unloaded guns has limited appeal; it’s like playing with a motorcycle with an empty gas tank.

However, the goal with dry practice is to become more familiar with the gun and develop a relationship with its trigger, sights, controls, operation and presentation. Dry fire training can cover several aspects of gun handling; it’s not just about pulling the trigger.

Even if you consider yourself an average shooter, I’d urge you to become devoted to dry practice. I’ve been shooting most of my life, and hardly a day goes by that I don’t dry practice in some manner.

More: https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/firearm-training/dry-fire-training-to-improve-defensive-handgun-skills

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Dry Fire Training To Improve Defensive Handgun Skills
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:48:28 pm »
Gun Digest By Richard A. Mann -July 14, 2020

Lack of range time is no excuse for gather rust. Here's the dry fire training that will keep your defensive handgun skills sharp as a tack.

What Are The Dry Fire Training You Should Focus On:

•   Trigger-Pull

•   Firearms Presentation

•   Follow-Through And Holstering

•   Reloading

•   Immediate Action: Stoppages

Dry fire training involves working with a firearm that’s unloaded. Admittedly, messing with unloaded guns has limited appeal; it’s like playing with a motorcycle with an empty gas tank.

However, the goal with dry practice is to become more familiar with the gun and develop a relationship with its trigger, sights, controls, operation and presentation. Dry fire training can cover several aspects of gun handling; it’s not just about pulling the trigger.

Even if you consider yourself an average shooter, I’d urge you to become devoted to dry practice. I’ve been shooting most of my life, and hardly a day goes by that I don’t dry practice in some manner.

More: https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/firearm-training/dry-fire-training-to-improve-defensive-handgun-skills

Elderberry,all

If you do a lot of dry-firing exercises,you MUST start to pay careful attention to the depth of the indentation on your fired primers when you shoot loaded ammo. Firing pins tend to "grow" from the impact if they meet no resistance,and one punching a hole in a live round is NOT something you want to experience.

I solved this problem by buying my primers,bullets,and powder by the case,but I live in a rural area,have multiple acres,and can just go out in my yard and shoot anything I want anytime I want to shoot it,and there is nobody to complain.

It has been a LONG time since I have even considered this problem,so you might want to check around. There may very well be someone selling "dummy rounds" now with plastic inserts in the primer pockets. If not,somebody should. There has to be a market for it in the popular calibers.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:53:48 pm »
I use a laser bullet that also acts as a dummy round to protect the firing pin. I have broken a firing pin on a S&W 36 before. And a broken hammer on a TC Contender.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 06:23:21 pm »
I use a laser bullet that also acts as a dummy round to protect the firing pin.

@Elderberry

I never even heard of such a thing.

Pardon me while I go back to my cave.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 01:09:33 pm »
@Elderberry

I never even heard of such a thing.

Pardon me while I go back to my cave.

@sneakypete

I purchased the cheapest laser bullet I could find for my .40. I downloaded the iTarget Pro App to my phone and didn't get any of the other iTarget stuff. I already had a phone holder that I use to mount my phone on a tripod. I printed out a target and stuck it to the wall. Set up the app on the phone and dry fire away.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1