Author Topic: Massive fire burning at plant in Lake Charles  (Read 247 times)

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Massive fire burning at plant in Lake Charles
« on: August 27, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »
https://kfdm.com/news/nation-world/breaking-massive-fire-burning-at-plant-in-lake-charles

<snipit>

Emergency crews are on site of a massive fire at the Bio-Lab Chemical Plant in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Thick, dark smoke poured from the plant, covering much of I-10 just a few hours after Hurricane Laura battered the area. As of now, there is no confirmed connection to the storm.

No injuries have been reported. Shelter-in-place orders are in effect for communities in the affected area.
===========================================================================

Not sure if this is the old Olin or PPG site that is next to I-10 on the west side of the Lake, but back in the '70's I remember some fatalities of people driving through a plume on I-10.  Dealing with the aftermath of a Cat 4 storm, extensive flooding, and now this?

Based on wind direction, I a guessing Westlake would be the area of concern, if anyone is still there.

These poor people............. **nononono*

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:05:12 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Massive fire burning at plant in Lake Charles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:16:19 pm »
Chlorine leak at chemical facility started fire near Lake Charles during storm, authorities say

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Chemical-fire-breaks-out-in-Louisiana-after-15519225.php

A fire broke out at a chemical facility in Westlake, La., just outside of Lake Charles during Hurricane Laura’s destructive trek through the region Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

The chlorine fire at BioLab's manufacturing facility caused Louisiana Gov. John Edwards to issue a shelter-in-place order for residents of the Westlake-Moss Bluff-Sulphur area Thursday morning.

The fire started after chlorine started leaking from the BioLab chemical manufacturing facility, according to the Louisiana State Police. A small on-site crew from BioLab made several unsuccessful attempts to extinguish flames during the storm, and around 10 a.m. Thursday, reported the fire to the police, authorities speaking at Gov. Edward's press conference said.

More at link.