Author Topic: As COVID-19 surges on campuses, in-person learning becomes less of a reality  (Read 932 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
As COVID-19 surges on campuses, in-person learning becomes less of a reality
By Jessie Hellmann - 08/23/20 04:10 PM EDT

Colleges and universities are already shifting from in-person instruction to online classes after hundreds of students on campuses across the country tested positive for COVID-19, throwing cold water on hopes for the fall semester. 

In the past week, big-name schools such as Notre Dame, Michigan State and University of North Carolina have moved classes online after briefly resuming in-person instruction, and other universities are likely to do the same in the coming weeks as the explosion of cases continues.

Clusters have also been identified at other universities that remain open, threatening to spill over into the college towns and cities across America. But as cases continue to rise in these communities, experts warn that in-person instruction at universities will most likely prove infeasible in the middle of a pandemic.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/513177-as-covid-19-surges-on-campuses-in-person-learning-is-less-of-a-reality
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The more I read about this, maybe it's a good idea to do a lot more education online.

It's sparked a new trend of homeschooling, parents are involved and see the crap their kids are being taught, and online college stands to be one helluva lot cheaper in the long haul.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I go to a gym with a young crowd.

We must don masks while entering and leaving , have temps taken, get the tiniest dollop of sanitizer on our hand's, masks are not required while working out.

Technically distances of 6 ft are required. The truth is these young people seem to not be worried.

We are outdoors at this location, Vitamin D. Almost nobody there is obese.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

My niece has returned to the Penn State campus, even though (I believe) she'll be getting only online "education" (i.e., indoctrination). What a waste of money.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My niece has returned to the Penn State campus, even though (I believe) she'll be getting only online "education" (i.e., indoctrination). What a waste of money.

Back in my day you often said you were merely doing it for the "Piece of Paper."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Well, how long are we going to play this game? Weeks wasn't enough. Months, now, are not enough. Years? Forever, as the WHO and Fauci are now saying?

We cannot restrict our way out of a pandemic. The virus must run its course.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Well, how long are we going to play this game? Weeks wasn't enough. Months, now, are not enough. Years? Forever, as the WHO and Fauci are now saying?

:amen: A million times  :amen:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

That has been apparent since February.  I could not fathom living in a [Democrat-run hellhole] State that is still under lock down.  Democrats seem to live under the delusion that Biden can somehow end this pandemic by shutting down the entire country and forcing everyone to wear a mask.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Notre Dame, which has confirmed 336 cases of COVID-19 since Aug. 3, will transition online for the next two weeks in an effort to stop the disease from spreading. If that doesn’t work, the campus could close for the rest of the semester.

The disease isn't spreading in the classrooms, you idiots.  If you close classes, then you provide unsupervised students even more time to mingle.  The UNC story says that 130 students showed up with Covid the first week.  Obviously, they caught it from some other location than the classroom.

Here's a clue.  Young people are considerably more social than the average human.  They are going to come in close contact with others.  They are going to catch this virus.  And most importantly, they are going to survive while providing a future immunity buffer for the rest of us.  Let this disease run its course, people.  Stop trying to delay the inevitable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-