Author Topic: Heroes Died for What the Flag Represents. Here’s Why We Stand for It Today.  (Read 212 times)

rangerrebew

Heroes Died for What the Flag Represents. Here’s Why We Stand for It Today.

Leo O'Malley  August 18, 2020   

This vintage illustration depicts the attack by the Massachusetts 54th Infantry Regiment on Fort Wagner, in Morris Island, South Carolina, on July 18, 1863. (Photo of illustration: Keith Lance/Getty Images)

An American flag waves over the head of a black man. Surrounded by acts of injustice, rage, and violence, he wears a uniform tinged with red and kneels in the midst of a green field.

A calling has led him to this place, a desire to “serve my God serving my country and my oppressed brothers.”

This man is William Carney, the date is 1863, and the place is Fort Wagner, the southern approach to the harbor in Charleston, South Carolina.

Carney’s regiment, the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, had been tasked with serving as the spearhead of the Union assault. As the bullets whistling past claimed the life of the color sergeant, Carney picked up the flag and led the assault on the Confederate position.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/08/18/heroes-died-for-what-the-flag-represents-heres-why-we-stand-for-it-today/