Author Topic: Death Valley hits 130 degrees, thought to be highest temperature on Earth in over a century  (Read 992 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Death Valley hits 130 degrees, thought to be highest temperature on Earth in over a century

Temperatures in Death Valley skyrocketed to a blistering 130 degrees on Sunday — possibly the highest mercury reading on Earth since 1913.

If the National Weather Service's recording is correct, it would also be among the top-three highest temperatures to have ever been measured in Death Valley, as well as the highest temperature ever seen there during the month of August.

The temperature in Death Valley hit 130 degrees at 3:41 p.m. Sunday, the National Weather Service said in a tweet..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/death-valley-hits-130-degrees-053931284.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline PeteS in CA

The name of the place is well earned. If the Warmistas are crowing over this apparent record, I doubt that temperature records for Death Valley go back as far as 1900.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

Heh.. Even the Texans and Zoners would be 'glowing' a bit at those temps...

Me, I will stay FAR away... Up in the mountains where there is cold clear water, and at least cold nights.

We are about to suffer high 90s till wednesday... then back down into the 80s with a trend toward low 80s... and nights in the low 50's.

It has been a perfect summer.

Offline rustynail

It's a dry heat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I recall one time with about 118 F. at Palm Desert, next to Palm Springs. Awful

But as they say, "it is dry heat!"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Highest temperature on Earth in over a century? Seems to me there these two cities in Japan....................................

Offline mountaineer

I lived in the San Fernando Valley as a child and remember temps around 115 not being unusual, lo, those many years ago.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

I went to Vegas years ago in August. It was hot as....well you know. That dry heat is a bunch of bunk. (I also went in December once and it was the coldest cold I've ever felt.) I can't imagine 130 degrees. And don't want to.

Offline dfwgator

So why was it so hot a century ago?

Offline mountaineer

Chevy Suburbans.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

Death Valley hits 130 degrees, thought to be highest temperature on Earth in over a century

Temperatures in Death Valley skyrocketed to a blistering 130 degrees on Sunday — possibly the highest mercury reading on Earth since 1913.

If the National Weather Service's recording is correct, it would also be among the top-three highest temperatures to have ever been measured in Death Valley, as well as the highest temperature ever seen there during the month of August.

The temperature in Death Valley hit 130 degrees at 3:41 p.m. Sunday, the National Weather Service said in a tweet..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/death-valley-hits-130-degrees-053931284.html

Well, that is NOT TRUE.  I went through Death Valley with 'ignorant' husband, who got us to go there, it was 135.  That was about 30 years ago.  I remember it was so hot, the atmosphere was 'thick' and wavy.  We got through it with my Toyota, but, had the car broken down, we would be dead.  I was scared the whole time. No water, for us or car. I was too young to understand a lot of things. He was an engineer and should have known better.  I trusted my husband.  IDIOT. I think it was July.

Offline roamer_1

Injuns and their damn carbon belching smoke signals and buffalo farts, of course.

Offline LegalAmerican

I went to Vegas years ago in August. It was hot as....well you know. That dry heat is a bunch of bunk. (I also went in December once and it was the coldest cold I've ever felt.) I can't imagine 130 degrees. And don't want to.

I lived in Las Vegas for 46 years.  I am still in Nevada, but a smaller town.  Right now it is 113 degrees.  Yesterday was 119 degrees.  When it gets to 135 degrees...IT IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN ANY 100 + DEGREES.   I was in it, in Death Valley.  The atmosphere just gets 'thick' and wavy.  Weird.  Almost as if you could  'see' the heat swimming in front of your eyes.

Offline LegalAmerican

You know. I did not realize all the adventures, I've had.  When going through hell, for some reason, I used to tell myself,  when I get old,  I can't say..IT WAS A BORING LIFE!  Mostly terror,  all the time. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Highest temperature on Earth in over a century? Seems to me there these two cities in Japan....................................
I was going to say....

Nah, not even close

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's always hot in the Desert Southwest.  It has to be, it's where the sun sets.   rrthree
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

It's always hot in the Desert Southwest.  It has to be, it's where the sun sets.   rrthree

Well it's hot here too... Shut the place up this morning at 7... chased me in at around 2:30... Now it's 93, and the cool in the house is about wearing off.... Fans are all going, but without the windows open, it's just blowing it around. About to go get on the bed by the big fan and watch a movie. Can't open her back up till maybe 8 or 9...

Offline LegalAmerican

Young census person, just came to my door.  He was not allowed inside.  So, I stepped outside, as door was ajar and all my A/C cool air was escaping.  It was 115 degrees.

Offline Smokin Joe

Well it's hot here too... Shut the place up this morning at 7... chased me in at around 2:30... Now it's 93, and the cool in the house is about wearing off.... Fans are all going, but without the windows open, it's just blowing it around. About to go get on the bed by the big fan and watch a movie. Can't open her back up till maybe 8 or 9...
It's 97 here. That's just plain hot for this latitude.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
High today here of 91 and only 57% humidity -- not too bad really ... slight breeze ... but I also have the A/C on.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline DB

Heh.. Even the Texans and Zoners would be 'glowing' a bit at those temps...

Me, I will stay FAR away... Up in the mountains where there is cold clear water, and at least cold nights.

We are about to suffer high 90s till wednesday... then back down into the 80s with a trend toward low 80s... and nights in the low 50's.

It has been a perfect summer.

It's only 109 right now with "patchy blowing dust" in the forecast for later today...

Oh, and the forecast temperature for later today is 115.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:22:41 pm by DB »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well, that is NOT TRUE.  I went through Death Valley with 'ignorant' husband, who got us to go there, it was 135.  That was about 30 years ago.  I remember it was so hot, the atmosphere was 'thick' and wavy.  We got through it with my Toyota, but, had the car broken down, we would be dead.  I was scared the whole time. No water, for us or car. I was too young to understand a lot of things. He was an engineer and should have known better.  I trusted my husband.  IDIOT. I think it was July.

My parents both came from the West. You NEVER started across the desert, by car, on foot or four legged creature without plenty of water.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

My parents both came from the West. You NEVER started across the desert, by car, on foot or four legged creature without plenty of water.
Working in Nevada, many years ago: Full tank, tools, spare hoses and odd parts, three spare tires, and ten gallons of water (five for me, five for the vehicle). I recall tearing the sidewall out of one tire on an old iron bridge, and debating going back because I was down to two spare tires...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It's 97 here. That's just plain hot for this latitude.

Might get there here too... Still got a couple hrs to go before it starts letting off... But it's only till wed or so... then high 80s with a low 80s trend... The bad part is not cooling off... We might get down to 60 tonight... and it will get hot way sooner in here because of it... After teus it is supposed to be down in the low 50s at night again... makes a big difference getting that cold in the morning, as to how long the cool lasts in this locked down house in the afternoon...

Offline Smokin Joe

Might get there here too... Still got a couple hrs to go before it starts letting off... But it's only till wed or so... then high 80s with a low 80s trend... The bad part is not cooling off... We might get down to 60 tonight... and it will get hot way sooner in here because of it... After teus it is supposed to be down in the low 50s at night again... makes a big difference getting that cold in the morning, as to how long the cool lasts in this locked down house in the afternoon...
LOL! We always gripe, but come January (when it is 130 degrees colder), we'll miss it.

C S Lewis