Author Topic: Youhave to hear these guys to believe it  (Read 2197 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Youhave to hear these guys to believe it
« on: August 18, 2020, 05:08:38 am »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

May be the best vocals I have ever heard.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Re: Youhave to hear these guys to believe it
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 06:17:19 am »
@sneakypete
Try this out:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

You might even catch religion...

:tongue2:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 06:37:45 am »
@sneakypete
Try this out:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

You might even catch religion...

:tongue2:

@roamer_1

One of the most beautiful songs ever written or performed,but I ain't getting religion.

@roamer_1

BTW,that is NOT "A man of constant sorrow". I suppose that since anything is possible,it is remotely possible that someone will do a better cover of that song than Home Free,but I have a really hard time visualizing it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:54:41 pm by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:51:37 am »

@roamer_1

One of the most beautiful songs ever written or performed,but I ain't getting religion.

@sneakypete

I have a special affinity for songs that are covered better than the original. This is by far the best rendition of hallelujah I've ever heard. Absolutely magnificent.

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 07:26:52 am »
@sneakypete

I have a special affinity for songs that are covered better than the original. This is by far the best rendition of hallelujah I've ever heard. Absolutely magnificent.

@roamer_1

Here are a couple more so close to that one it's hard to pick the best cover.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

This one is so good for a guy,a girl,and a hallway,that it's scary.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 09:16:39 am »
@sneakypete

I got to digging, and found it has been covered by a slew of people from Susan Boyle to Willie Nelson and over 300 versions exist ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_(Leonard_Cohen_song) ) It remains one of my favorite songs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:52:15 am »
I got to digging, and found it has been covered by a slew of people from Susan Boyle to Willie Nelson and over 300 versions exist ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_(Leonard_Cohen_song) ) It remains one of my favorite songs.

@Smokin Joe

I am probably the LEAST religious poster on this board,and do not understand how it could NOT be one of the favorite songs of everyone who has ever heard it. You do NOT have to be a Bible-Thumper to understand and appreciate it is one of the most "musically perfect" songs ever written.

Or to appreciate and understand the power of the lyrics.

PLEASE NOTE there are NO dancing girls OR bears in the background,nobody dancing around half-naked in the background to distract listeners from the vocal abilities of the singers or the power of the lyrics. It is stripped down and basic,and you had better have some vocal ability before you step up to THIS plate because you have nothing to hide behind.

Then again,Leonard Cohen was one HELL of an accomplished songwriter!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:53:08 am by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 04:31:48 pm »

Absolutely... Cohen's own version is magnificent in it's own right - The gravel and the pain in him has always left it - the original - as the standard. But I do believe the Pentatonix version trumps the original, It is hugely different, with crescendo after crescendo, very much a different feel than the humble and simple Cohen arrangement. Hard to judge, I guess.... But I vote for the cover.

That hardly ever happens for me...

Whitney Houston beat the crap out of Dolly with her 'I will always love you'... Hands DOWN. I was literally weeping like a little girl and had to pull my truck over the first time I heard it

Disturbed's version of 'Sound of Silence' is a profound and better version than Simon and Garfunkel's - And that is no faint praise. NO ONE covers S&G because it is impossible to beat their most excellent harmonies and Simon's compilations and delivery are unique and beautiful every time. Impossible as it is, I think Disturbed pulled it off.

And Pentatonix - Hallelujah. No one ever beat Cohen at that game. Until now.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34:37 pm »

That is a bare fact.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 04:37:31 pm »
@roamer_1

Here are a couple more so close to that one it's hard to pick the best cover.

Good. But no where near the Pentatonix version. IMHumbleO, of course.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 04:40:32 pm »
For later
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:45:47 pm »
Back to Home Free - My favorite song they ever did (and I am not throwing my religion at you Sneaks).

This song has always been special to me - I see God in nature more than anywhere. This old Christian standard is among the very best.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 08:26:13 pm »
Lee Greenwood, Home Free, and the Singing Soldiers:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 09:09:17 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I am probably the LEAST religious poster on this board,and do not understand how it could NOT be one of the favorite songs of everyone who has ever heard it. You do NOT have to be a Bible-Thumper to understand and appreciate it is one of the most "musically perfect" songs ever written.

Or to appreciate and understand the power of the lyrics.

PLEASE NOTE there are NO dancing girls OR bears in the background,nobody dancing around half-naked in the background to distract listeners from the vocal abilities of the singers or the power of the lyrics. It is stripped down and basic,and you had better have some vocal ability before you step up to THIS plate because you have nothing to hide behind.

:thumbsup:

I am Christian, but do NOT believe in Bible thumping. That,  is everyones own private, journey.  With our modern  technology; internet, TV, Radio, Churches, anyone interested, can find their own way. It is such a turn off to  thump!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 09:11:44 pm »
Lee Greenwood, Home Free, and the Singing Soldiers:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I LOVE GREENWOOD.  My favorite is from about 1985, and he says "to L.A."..he looks directly at me, and my initials are L.A.  Just my private fantasy. lol  I know he is NOT talking about me. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 09:13:06 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 11:30:25 pm »
Back to Home Free - My favorite song they ever did (and I am not throwing my religion at you Sneaks).

@roamer_1

Believe it or not,but I am fine with pretty much any religion as long as it's followers don't demand I become a follower. I am a live and let live guy.

This song has always been special to me - I see God in nature more than anywhere. This old Christian standard is among the very best.

I sang it more than a few times myself in church when I was a kid

If they didn't "grab" your spirit,they wouldn't be spirituals,would they?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 11:41:30 pm »
Believe it or not,but I am fine with pretty much any religion as long as it's followers don't demand I become a follower. I am a live and let live guy.

@sneakypete
Believe it or not, I am too. The philosophy of it intrigues me, and always has... But in the end, as Yeshua teaches, each must find his own way. Faith can never be coerced, be it religious, political, or otherwise...

I sang it more than a few times myself in church when I was a kid

If they didn't "grab" your spirit,they wouldn't be spirituals,would they?

Every now and then, you find something so beautiful it makes your soul ache... Would that we all spent more time seeking those things out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:42:30 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:17 am »
@sneakypete
Believe it or not, I am too. The philosophy of it intrigues me, and always has... But in the end, as Yeshua teaches, each must find his own way. Faith can never be coerced, be it religious, political, or otherwise...

@roamer_1

True,but it can damn sure be faked,as every politician proves on an almost daily basis. Ranks right up there with kissing babies.

Every now and then, you find something so beautiful it makes your soul ache... Would that we all spent more time seeking those things out.

Yes,Yes!