State Chapters > NY/NJ

Floridian Who Traveled to New York Told to Quarantine Against Their Will

(1/1)

mountaineer:
Floridian Who Traveled to New York Told to Quarantine Against Their Will
Aug. 14, 2020
Sharon Black
--- Quote ---A person visiting New York who spoke with UncoverDC on the condition of anonymity, from now on referred to as “Jane”, has provided paperwork and an account of an absolutely stunning experience they had after traveling to NY from one of the states that NY Governor Mario Cuomo had listed as “restricted” under a “travel advisory”. Jane took a long weekend trip that was planned and booked months ago. Jane told us “As soon as I stepped off the plane they veered everyone to a line and all of us were asked to complete a Traveler Health Form or be fined $2,000″. Jane filled this form out reluctantly because the trip they had planned was a short 3 days to visit a friend.

The following day Jane received a phone call with the caller ID reading “NYS Tracer” from Schenectady. The Tracer representative started asking several personal questions. “Where are you? Did you go directly to the house?”

Jane responded, “I am not going to answer that, I don’t know who you are and I can’t verify that you are from the New York State Health Department. I have a 4th Amendment right.”

The Contact Tracer Representative shot back, “I don’t care about your 4th Amendment right, I need to call you every day and check in on you and stop by periodically“.

Jane responded, “No, that is an invasion of my privacy, you are not calling me every day“, and hung up the phone.

The next day taped to the outside of the mailbox was a letter with “Confidential” stamped on the envelope. Inside was a letter from the Department of Health Services stating the source declined to comply with quarantine and with monitoring by the New York State Contact Tracing Initiative.

The letter stated, “The Suffolk County Department of Health Services has become aware that you recently traveled to New York from a state experiencing significant community spread of COVID-19, and that you have declined to comply with quarantine and with monitoring by the New York State Contact Tracing Initiative. As described in the attached quarantine order, quarantine is a legal requirement, and as such, is legally enforceable. Please call us as soon as possible“. Enclosed with the letter was the New York State Quarantine Order. ...
--- End quote ---
Full story

Gefn:
No sympathy. My mom and I had planned a trip to Vermont and Massachusetts this summer and we postponed it.

My sister paid for a vacation in the Bahamas in April and she lost 20% of her money that she paid, but got 80% back.

We all know someone who has stories like this, I’m not unique. How many of us have relatives who cancelled weddings, christenings, or had one or two people at a funeral?

Jane Doe knew what states were on the quarantine list before she went. Suck it up. Two weeks isn’t so bad. You still have a home to quarantine in. How many people are loosing their homes now because they can’t pay their bills? There’s the real story.

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: Gefn on August 15, 2020, 10:44:28 am ---No sympathy. My mom and I had planned a trip to Vermont and Massachusetts this summer and we postponed it.

My sister paid for a vacation in the Bahamas in April and she lost 20% of her money that she paid, but got 80% back.

We all know someone who has stories like this, I’m not unique. How many of us have relatives who cancelled weddings, christenings, or had one or two people at a funeral?

Jane Doe knew what states were on the quarantine list before she went. Suck it up. Two weeks isn’t so bad. You still have a home to quarantine in. How many people are loosing their homes now because they can’t pay their bills? There’s the real story.

--- End quote ---

Most people are "visiting" because they don't have a home in the state.  "Just don't go there" is probably the best advice, because most people don't want to stay for longer than two weeks.  I have a friend who cancelled her trip to NYC because she would have had to quarantine for longer than the entire trip was going to be.

Gefn:
@Cyber Liberty

With the museums and Broadway closed, there really isn’t much to see. Of course you can see the gorgeous buildings like the Empire and Chrysler buildings but only from the outsides I think.

I don’t know if the stores are open and the Sabrett’s hot dog guys are out. I haven’t really been watching the news this month. Too depressing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version