Author Topic: US seizes Iranian gas headed for Venezuela  (Read 525 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
US seizes Iranian gas headed for Venezuela
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:49:46 pm »
American Military News  August 14, 2020 Ryan Morgan

Reports: US seizes Iranian gas headed for Venezuela

The U.S. has seized the cargo of four Iranian vessels believed to have been carrying an estimated 1.1 million barrels of gasoline allegedly bound for Venezuela.

On Thursday, U.S. officials told the Associated Press they used legal means to seize the Iranian fuel shipments arranged between an Iranian businessman and Venezuela. The officials said the U.S. did not use military force or physically seize the cargo shipments but instead used sanctions against its private owners, insurers and their captains. With their latest actions, a U.S. official told the AP the Iranian fuel “now becomes U.S. property.”

It is not clear where the fuel shipments actually are as the four tanker vessels — the Bella, Bering, Pandi and Luna —reportedly turned off their tracking systems to hide their locations from U.S. searchers.

The new development comes a month after U.S. prosecutors filed a civil forfeiture complaint alleging the shipments were arranged as a private sale between businessman Mahmoud Madanipour and Venezuela. Madanipour is alleged to have ties to Iran’s paramilitary Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a U.S.-designated terror group.

U.S. sanctions experts who spoke with the AP after the initial civil forfeiture complaint was filed said they believed the civil forfeiture effort would be difficult to enforce in international waters.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/08/reports-us-seizes-4-iranian-gas-ships-on-way-to-venezuela/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: US seizes Iranian gas headed for Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:28:14 pm »
It is not clear where the fuel shipments actually are as the four tanker vessels — the Bella, Bering, Pandi and Luna —reportedly turned off their tracking systems to hide their locations from U.S. searchers.

"Where is the gasoline?"

"I have it.....I just don't know where it is."

:happyhappy:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »
SANCTIONS ON IRAN.    IRAN TERRORIST GROUP.  What is so hard to understand?   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:56 pm »
SANCTIONS ON IRAN.    IRAN TERRORIST GROUP.  What is so hard to understand?

I'd say the Captains of the vessels understand it perfectly, it's why they turned their transponders off.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 09:51:00 pm »
I don't get it. HOW does the US have the legal and moral responsibility necessary to seize ships from one country immersed in legal trade with another country?

Who died and made us the Worlds Daddy?

It would be one thing if we were in a declared war with one or both countries,but we aren't.

And this doesn't even address the irony of Venezuela having to buy oil.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 09:54:52 pm »
I don't get it. HOW does the US have the legal and moral responsibility necessary to seize ships from one country immersed in legal trade with another country?

It would be one thing if we were in a declared war with one or both countries,but we aren't.

@sneakypete

We have a lot of gunships and stuff, and the seas are not "free" or "open," as you and I understand the words.  There are multi-national sanctions on Iranian trade.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 11:19:11 pm »
@sneakypete

We have a lot of gunships and stuff, and the seas are not "free" or "open," as you and I understand the words.  There are multi-national sanctions on Iranian trade.

@Cyber Liberty

Thanks for the reminder! I am semi-certain I knew that at one time,and just forgot about it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:57:11 am »
I'd say the Captains of the vessels understand it perfectly, it's why they turned their transponders off.

:thumbsup:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 01:01:55 am »

@sneakypete   We are your Daddy.  Learn it. Live it. Love it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 07:50:25 am »
I could be wrong, but I think the USA is largely alone with its sanctions against Iran.  I do not believe there have been further sanctions by the UN against Iran.  Obama undid all of that.