Author Topic: Calculating America’s eviction crisis: Up to 40 million people are at risk of being kicked out of th  (Read 454 times)

Offline libertybele

This is an absolute disaster.  Throwing $$ at this situation with stimulus money is putting a small bandaid on this problem.  In likeliness it will only buy them another month or two.  They need jobs! What about those that own those rental properties and are dependent on that income?  With businesses still being shutdown and people like Fauci proclaiming that we need to shutdown again, this scenario won't change.

Calculating America’s eviction crisis: Up to 40 million people are at risk of being kicked out of their homes

As President Donald Trump calls for another federal eviction moratorium, a new report has shed light on just how many Americans are facing housing insecurity as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and the associated economic downturn.

Between 30 and 40 million people in the U.S. could be at risk of eviction in the next several months, according to a report released Friday by a group of housing researchers. The report aggregated existing research related to the housing crisis caused by COVID-19.

The researchers said the current situation could be “the most severe housing crisis” in the nation’s history.

As the novel coronavirus first began spreading across the country and prompting business shutdowns, many state and local lawmakers took swift action to enact eviction moratoriums to protect people who suddenly found themselves without a source of income to pay their bills. Many renters were already in a precarious position before the pandemic: Research from the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University found that nearly half of all renter households were cost-burdened before the pandemic, meaning over a third of their income went toward rent........

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/calculating-americas-eviction-crisis-up-to-40-million-people-are-at-risk-of-being-kicked-out-of-their-homes-2020-08-07?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
When it begins can we call them Fauci Towns?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

Retail businesses, theaters, and restaurants, are shuttering.  Major chains are claiming bankruptcy and shuttering.  Combine this with people who are facing eviction and no income from those properties to either the mortgage companies or individual owners, and I think we will soon see an economic disaster worse than the Great Depression.  It's just a matter of time unless these people can find jobs. That path that we are on is not sustainable. It is going to affect everyone eventually, more businesses will be forced to closed social security recipients will see their claims slashed as well as those on disability, the stock market will tumble bigly and Trump has very little time to turn a DEM inflicted economic disaster around before November.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
42% of all the jobs lost when the gov shut down the economy have been recovered according to Labor Sec Scalia.  And that is without the still restrictive larger blue states that insist on killing their economies with draconian lock down orders. 

Now, granted rent and rental eviction problems will linger beyond job growth.  How big an issue is still up for discussion.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The people who are going to be hurting the most are the "Two income,2 kids in school,2 new luxury cars crowd of yuppies living beyond their means in houses they can't really afford,and now mom or dad has to stay home to babysit them while the other spouse works and doesn't bring home enough money to pay the bills.

Yeah,it's easy to slam them for living beyond their means based on future earnings,but a couple of generations of Americans did the same thing,and it worked for them.

And given the size of today's house and car payments,when you start to get behind,you get REALLY  behind really quickly.

It's going to take them decades to recover their credit ratings and financial security because they are going to have to start all over again while living in rental property.

IMNSHO,the DNC is counting on this to make those people want to vote Dim to get "more free money in the mail". The idea situation for the DNC is to have everybody in the nation living off public money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
42% of all the jobs lost when the gov shut down the economy have been recovered according to Labor Sec Scalia.  And that is without the still restrictive larger blue states that insist on killing their economies with draconian lock down orders. 

@Wingnut

I know that is the claim,but i just don't see how it is possible.

Offline LegalAmerican

I thought a  temp "law" was put in, to stop any evictions, because of covid.  Same with a mortgage.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I thought a  temp "law" was put in, to stop any evictions, because of covid.  Same with a mortgage.

@LegalAmerican

It was,but when that period ends the money,and the interest,is still due. MONTHS of it. All at once.

Offline LegalAmerican

@LegalAmerican

It was,but when that period ends the money,and the interest,is still due. MONTHS of it. All at once.

I just saw,  there is an update. on all of this, by POTUS. Since I am not behind on anything and do not spend beyond my means, I have not paid that much attention to this.