Author Topic: What the Potential Crisis on the Yangtze Means for China and the World  (Read 383 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

What the Potential Crisis on the Yangtze Means for China and the World
August 5, 2020

The Heritage Foundation
by Dean Cheng

As if 2020 has not been sufficiently crisis-laden for the People’s Republic of China, it now faces the potential for major catastrophe due to massive rains.
The massive runoff into the Yangtze has led to concerns that the Three Gorges Dam will be overstressed beyond its capacity to withstand the inflow.
The flooding of the Yangtze will have enormous effects in China and beyond, especially since the threat of dam collapse coincides with several other domestic crises.

More at link

https://www.heritage.org/asia/commentary/what-the-potential-crisis-the-yangtze-means-china-and-the-world?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-fb&fbclid=IwAR0Chep_R_KpymSYEU_UBfnF2iJfKkQo9R3UeERH_-6WWvOdctf75mT9GwM
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Idiot

Re: What the Potential Crisis on the Yangtze Means for China and the World
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:45 pm »
What the Potential Crisis on the Yangtze Means for China and the World
August 5, 2020

The Heritage Foundation
by Dean Cheng

As if 2020 has not been sufficiently crisis-laden for the People’s Republic of China, it now faces the potential for major catastrophe due to massive rains.
The massive runoff into the Yangtze has led to concerns that the Three Gorges Dam will be overstressed beyond its capacity to withstand the inflow.
The flooding of the Yangtze will have enormous effects in China and beyond, especially since the threat of dam collapse coincides with several other domestic crises.

More at link

https://www.heritage.org/asia/commentary/what-the-potential-crisis-the-yangtze-means-china-and-the-world?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thf-fb&fbclid=IwAR0Chep_R_KpymSYEU_UBfnF2iJfKkQo9R3UeERH_-6WWvOdctf75mT9GwM
I saw a photo of the Three Gorges Dam supposedly moving a bit.  It appears to me that it was just taken at a different angle and that the dam really hadn't moved at all.  That's certainly a huge mass of concrete to move....I just don't see a failure.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: What the Potential Crisis on the Yangtze Means for China and the World
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:27:56 pm »
My visits to Coastal and Central China over the years revealed to me the topography of the country.  It seems hilly all over and has little of the great mostly flat farming belt of the USA.

As a consequence, it is ripe for flooding as rainwater collects massively between the hills and furiously travels down to the rivers before the land soaks it in.

Any prolonged rainfall like they appear to be experiencing exacerbates flooding.

This is a big issue for China to handle as its big cities along the rivers have a lot of its commerce.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington