Author Topic: Supreme Court allows continued construction of Trump's border wall  (Read 887 times)

Offline libertybele

Supreme Court allows continued construction of Trump's border wall

The 5-4 order represents a loss for environmental groups represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, which had asked the justices to lift an order from a year ago that allowed the government to continue building the wall pending appeals. It is a win for Trump, who has made the construction of the wall a cornerstone of his presidency.

Justice Stephen Breyer, joined by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor dissented. Breyer noted that by the time the court reaches the case on the merits, the portion of the wall may already be complete.

"The Court's decision to let construction continue nevertheless, I fear, may operate in effect, as a final judgment," Breyer wrote.

The dispute concerns the ACLU's challenge to the use of $2.5 billion from the Pentagon to construct parts of the wall along the southwestern border. Last month, a federal appeals court ruled against Trump, arguing that the administration doesn't have the authority to divert Pentagon funds to build additional barriers on the US-Mexico border without congressional authorization. But the opinion had no immediate effect because of the Supreme Court's order from last year that is still in place.

"The Trump administration has lost in every lower court, but is still rushing to complete the president's border wall before the Supreme Court can review the merits of this case," said Dror Ladin, staff attorney with the ACLU's National Security Project in a statement before the order was issued.

He said that if the Supreme Court did not lift its own stay the wall would be constructed by the time the court decided whether to take up the case..........

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-allows-continued-construction-of-trump-s-border-wall/ar-BB17qARr?li=BBnbcA1
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

"The Court's decision to let construction continue..." 

What a load of BS...

Offline LegalAmerican

It is NOT Trumps wall.  IT IS OUR AMERICAN BORDER WALL....TALKED ABOUT FOR OVER 30 YEARS....that it is needed to be built.

Offline LegalAmerican

What a load of BS...

What part?  That S.C. thinks they can make laws?   

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Breyer noted that by the time the court reaches the case on the merits, the portion of the wall may already be complete.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

BOOM! The Supreme Court votes 5-4 allowing pentagon funds for the building of Trump's border wall!— thebradfordfile™ (@thebradfordfile) July 31, 2020

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What a load of BS...

The court voted Trump could transfer funds from the Pentagon.  This is a very BIG win.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Supreme Court allows continued construction of Trump's border wall
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 04:21:36 am »

What a load of BS...

@EdinVA

Why? That's not what happened?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:57 am »
It is NOT Trumps wall.  IT IS OUR AMERICAN BORDER WALL....TALKED ABOUT FOR OVER 30 YEARS....that it is needed to be built.

@LegalAmerican

It IS "Trumps Wall" in the sense that no Presidential candidate other than him ever had any intention of actually building it. He wasn't just using it for a campaign issue,he meant it.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:43 am »
@EdinVA

Why? That's not what happened?
@sneakypete
It is the "we LET him" attitude that irritates me... the SC has a very high opinion of themselves that I simply don't share.
They did not LET Trump do anything...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »
@sneakypete
It is the "we LET him" attitude that irritates me... the SC has a very high opinion of themselves that I simply don't share.

@EdinVA

I share the anger when it comes to arrogance of the pampered princes on the SC,but just am not knowledgeable enough about Constitutional Law to comment on the legality of most of what they do or say.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 04:24:09 pm »
@LegalAmerican

It IS "Trumps Wall" in the sense that no Presidential candidate other than him ever had any intention of actually building it. He wasn't just using it for a campaign issue,he meant it.

True. Hillary talked about needing a wall, as did some other demon-rats, but POTUS TRUMP is the only one not talking about it, in some campaign way, to get points. The lefty's use that term to harm his image with it. (Not SAYING YOU ARE ONE!) The WALL has been talked about for DECADES!  OVER 50 YEARS.......Reagan, wanted a wall & agreed to give amnesty in 1986, then DEMON-RATS RENEGED ON THEIR PROMISE TO VOTE FOR WALL FUNDING. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:42 pm »
@sneakypete

I agree.  They are to interpret the law, from constitution, NOT MAKE ANY LAWS THEMSELVES...like John Roberts did with Obamacare.  How we ever got, SEVERE LIBERALS in S.C. is mind boggling, as they ARE ALL AS UNETHICAL AS HELL! 
SOTOMAYER.  Member of La Raza & supports ILLEGALS.  What oath did she take for America?  Kagan?  GAY, S.C. who helped write OBAMCARE...then voted FOR IT, rather then recuse herself from it.  Ginsberg is an old relic, who won't die, or STEP DOWN. All her cancer health issues & she still won't 'give it up", not to mention in her 80's!  No ones mind is that clear anymore at that age!  Look at Pelosi!  Snark!