Author Topic: Trump cuts DACA time in half in major rewrite of Obama program  (Read 452 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump cuts DACA time in half in major rewrite of Obama program
Washington Times, Jul 28, 2020

The Trump administration announced a major rewrite of DACA on Tuesday, saying it will keep the program going — for now — but all new applications will be rejected, and those renewing their status will be limited to just one year.

At the same time, the administration will conduct a full legal review, with an eye toward determining whether to attempt another total phaseout of the program after the Supreme Court last month erased President Trump’s initial attempt.

A senior official said the review “will have to take time,” so the program isn’t going anywhere yet. But it will be curtailed.

In addition to blocking new applicants and limiting renewals to one year — half the time currently allowed — the administration will cast a stricter eye on requests for Advance Parole, which is a backdoor pathway to citizenship thousands of DACA recipients have taken advantage of.

“These actions will limit the scope of the program while DHS and the administration review its legality, the justifications for a possible wind-down, and other considerations relevant to deciding whether to keep or wind down the DACA policy,” the official told reporters.

Immigration rights activists were enraged at the moves, saying Mr. Trump is on another collision course with the courts. A federal judge earlier this month ordered a full re-start of the DACA program as it was in September 2017, before Mr. Trump’s first phaseout attempt — including accepting new applicants.

The activists said they expect Mr. Trump to try another phaseout later.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/28/trump-cuts-daca-time-half-major-rewrite-obama-prog/

Re: Trump cuts DACA time in half in major rewrite of Obama program
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:28:37 am »
FTA --

One key change in the rewrite is tightening the standards for DACA recipients to apply for Advance Parole. That’s a special permission that allows migrants to leave the U.S. and return — and once back offers them a chance to adjust their status to legal resident, if they can find a sponsor through a job or marriage.

DACA recipients had abused that program, using flimsy excuses to apply for Advance Parole. Over the first three years of the program, Homeland Security reported nearly 3,000 DACA recipients had adjusted status and started on the path to citizenship through Advance Parole.

Under the new memo Tuesday, only “exceptional” cases will be approved.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:42:19 am »
Trump administration halts new DACA applications as it considers canceling program
Fox News, Jul 28, 2020

The Trump administration on Tuesday announced that it was halting applications to an Obama-era program that shields some illegal immigrants from deportations as it considers the policy's future -- just weeks after the Supreme Court shut down efforts to halt the program.

The Supreme Court ruled last month that the administration's decision to rescind the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was done in an "arbitrary and capricious" manner although they did not rule on the merits of the program itself.

As a result, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Tuesday that as it considers the future of the program, it will reject all initial requests for protection, as well as applications for Employment Authorization Documents.

“As the Department continues looking at the policy and considers future action, the fact remains that Congress should act on this matter,” acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said in a statement. “There are important policy reasons that may warrant the full rescission of the DACA policy.”

It is also renewing existing protections for only one year, rather than two.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-administration-daca-applications

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:01 am »
Two weeks ago the president said he would be signing an executive order in the next few weeks, including a “road to citizenship” for DACA recipients.

“I’m going do a big executive order, I have the power to do it as president and I’m going to make DACA a part of it,” Trump said in an interview with Telemundo anchor Jose Diaz-Balart. Trump added he was still working on the “legal complexities” of keeping DACA in the order

Days later, Trump again touted that he would be “taking care” of DACA.

“We’re going to be taking care of DACA,” Trump said at a Rose Garden briefing. “I’m going to be signing immigration action, very big merit-based immigration action.

So what part of a "road to citizenship" isn't amnesty??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:55:39 am »
What are you talking about?  Did you read any of what is posted? 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:58:05 am »
What are you talking about?  Did you read any of what is posted?

Of course I did.  I'm quoting the end of the article.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 02:13:34 am »
Of course I did.  I'm quoting the end of the article.

Oy vavoy!  Watch what he does, not what he says about something possible sometime in the future.....   :laugh:

--All initial requests for DACA protections are now rejected
--Existing protections are for 12 months, not 24 months
-- And this:

One key change in the rewrite is tightening the standards for DACA recipients to apply for Advance Parole. That’s a special permission that allows migrants to leave the U.S. and return — and once back offers them a chance to adjust their status to legal resident, if they can find a sponsor through a job or marriage.

DACA recipients had abused that program, using flimsy excuses to apply for Advance Parole. Over the first three years of the program, Homeland Security reported nearly 3,000 DACA recipients had adjusted status and started on the path to citizenship through Advance Parole.

Under the new memo Tuesday, only “exceptional” cases will be approved.

The administration will now do a review of the program to determine if (how to satisfy John Roberts) the full rescission of the DACA policy is warranted.

Rest easy ... immigration activists are enraged.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 02:21:20 am »
Oy vavoy!  Watch what he does, not what he says about something possible sometime in the future.....   :laugh:

--All initial requests for DACA protections are now rejected
--Existing protections are for 12 months, not 24 months
-- And this:

The administration will now do a review of the program to determine if (how to satisfy John Roberts) the full rescission of the DACA policy is warranted.

Rest easy ... immigration activists are enraged.

Yes, I realize that Trump says one things and does another or doesn't follow through.  He's been doing that since he took office and it is very unfortunate.

In this instance I actually hope he doesn't go ahead with what he stated in regards to the roadway to citizenship.

"Immigration activists are enraged"; I definitely get that.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:25:01 am by libertybele »

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:51 am »
Yes, I realize that Trump says one things and does another or doesn't follow through.  He's been doing that since he took office and it is very unfortunate.

In this instance I actually hope he doesn't go ahead with what he stated in regards to the roadway to citizenship.

***suicide***

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:10 am »
Supreme Court is so wrong on this.  DACA..was created by an E.O.  by obama.  But an E.O.  by this POTUS will not removed DACA.
DOUBLE STANDARD.  Supreme Court IS WRONG. 

Then POTUS, is blamed for issues regarding, ILLEGALS...not S.C.  Every good thing he wants to do for America & it's citizens is BLOCKED by demon-rats or LA RAZA, MUSLIM JUDGES.  Yet, he is blamed. SAME WITH UNCONSTITUTIONAL OBAMCARE.

Supreme Court WRONG ON THAT TOO.  John Roberts.  Made a 'law'.  A TAX.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 03:02:16 am »

What are you talking about?  He keeps all his promises.  Supreme Court is messing with him and America.  Most of what you wrote, you created in your OWN MIND. YOU MADE ASSUMPTIONS...then said "POTUS, didn't keep his word."   POTUS is not a dictator.  Why don't you understand that? He is following the constitution.  You put 'words" in POTUS mouth.  NOT WHAT HE SAID OR MEANT.  YOUR INTERPRETATION.  Which is wrong. Sorry. We went through this before.   

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline dancer

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:11:31 pm »
What are you talking about?  He keeps all his promises.  Supreme Court is messing with him and America.  Most of what you wrote, you created in your OWN MIND. YOU MADE ASSUMPTIONS...then said "POTUS, didn't keep his word."   POTUS is not a dictator.  Why don't you understand that? He is following the constitution.  You put 'words" in POTUS mouth.  NOT WHAT HE SAID OR MEANT.  YOUR INTERPRETATION.  Which is wrong. Sorry. We went through this before.

??? The Supreme court is messing with him??? Well, I guess you could look at it that way; I don't like Roberts either, but the Constitution is the law of the land and the decisions that the SUPREME COURT makes are binding and are rarely altered and correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only way to change their ruling would be by amendment which is very difficult to do.

I am NOT putting any words in POTUS' mouth.  YOU and the other Trumpsters in here are the ones that make interpretations or chime in as to what he said or meant.  All I did was take a quote from the article...you can interpret that quote any way that you see fit.

POTUS keeps ALL of his promises??  I think you are truly delusional.

NO president, congressmen or political figure should be given a free pass period.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:24:24 pm by libertybele »