Author Topic: Republicans face worsening outlook in battle for House  (Read 346 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans face worsening outlook in battle for House
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:02 pm »
By Julia Manchester - 07/26/20 12:21 PM EDT

Republicans face an uphill climb in the fight for control of the House as Democrats seek to nationalize the federal coronavirus response 100 days ahead of November’s election.

Democrats have sought to tie Republicans running for Congress to President Trump’s response to the coronavirus as cases skyrocket in hot spots across parts of the U.S.

The tactic appears to be working, with Democrats leading Republicans on the generic congressional ballot 49 percent to 40.7 percent, according to the FiveThirtyEight average.

Additionally, nonpartisan political prognosticators, including The Cook Political Report, have moved a number of races in favor of Democrats. Cook moved 20 races toward Democrats last week.

Republicans need a net gain of 20 seats to take back the majority, while also taking into consideration the redistricting in North Carolina, which will endanger two GOP-held seats, as well as retiring Rep. Will Hurd’s (R-Texas) district, which Democrats are favored to take.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/508966-republicans-face-worsening-outlook-in-battle-for-house
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Republicans face worsening outlook in battle for House
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:48 pm »
It's The Hill, so I keep a big block of this handy:

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »

And whose fault is that?

I know the Republicans won't win my congressional district mainly because it's a Democrat stronghold.  But the Republicans aren't even making an effort to really challenge the Democrat incumbent.  Can't win if you don't try.

That's been the problem with Republicans all along.  Too damm lazy to do their jobs, too lay to do anything.  That's how they lost the house in the first place and it's possible they will lose the senate too.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:01:41 pm »
They will not fight.. what is the point of voting for them?
An aside... the RNC called me looking for handouts and I told them I would donate if they would guarantee that not one red dime would go to romney... the said they could not so I said, we have nothing further to discuss then and hung up...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:14:07 pm »
An aside... the RNC called me looking for handouts and I told them I would donate if they would guarantee that not one red dime would go to romney... the said they could not so I said, we have nothing further to discuss then and hung up...

If the democrats win at the cost of a few lost seats the remaining republicans win. They go back to huffing & puffing about the rats, offering flag burning legislation, and otherwise doing nothing besides collecting money because nothing else is expected of them; they're in the minority doncha know.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

My congressman (Kevin Brady R Texas) is nothing but a porch nail, afraid to stick his head up for any reason lest someone might hit him on the head with a hammer.  I'm not going to vote for him. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:39:54 pm »
Democrats leading Republicans on the generic congressional ballot 49 percent to 40.7 percent,

Aren't generic ballots meaningless in House races?  It's like national polls in a race based on the Electoral College.

With 66 percent of all voters and 77 percent of Republican voters afraid to participate in polls, thanks to the cancel culture ... I think this is another election where no one knows what's really going on out here..

We learn more from actual voting.  The last special elections, including California, were supposed to be a blue wave.  It was red.  Donald Trump, the incumbent candidate running unopposed, received more primary votes than his democrat opponent and more primary votes than any other incumbent candidate in the last 16 years.

If this trend holds in 100 days, polling should be cancelled.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 01:41:27 pm »
My congressman (Kevin Brady R Texas) is nothing but a porch nail, afraid to stick his head up for any reason lest someone might hit him on the head with a hammer.  I'm not going to vote for him.

So you prefer a democrat who does something?   :laugh:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 01:44:33 pm »
So you prefer a democrat who does something?   :laugh:

Where did you ever see me say anything like that?  He has no opponent in the general. I voted for someone else in the primary.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:46:29 pm »
For those disappointed with their Republican representatives, I'd like to offer another way of looking at this election. 

Think of it as voting for the Speakership and committee chairmanships in the House rather than an individual you'd rather run over with a car.  And wouldn't it be nice if the President is reelected and can work for 24 months without dealing with his own impeachment?

I'd like to see what we can accomplish in this environment.   happy77

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
Aren't generic ballots meaningless in House races?  It's like national polls in a race based on the Electoral College.

With 66 percent of all voters and 77 percent of Republican voters afraid to participate in polls, thanks to the cancel culture ... I think this is another election where no one knows what's really going on out here..

We learn more from actual voting.  The last special elections, including California, were supposed to be a blue wave.  It was red.  Donald Trump, the incumbent candidate running unopposed, received more primary votes than his democrat opponent and more primary votes than any other incumbent candidate in the last 16 years.

If this trend holds in 100 days, polling should be cancelled.

I'm praying for some long, wide coattails. And maybe in a second term the president won't have to carry the entire load via EOs.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 01:49:24 pm »
I'm praying for some long, wide coattails. And maybe in a second term the president won't have to carry the entire load via EOs.

Me, too. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »
For those disappointed with their Republican representatives, I'd like to offer another way of looking at this election. 

Think of it as voting for the Speakership and committee chairmanships in the House rather than an individual you'd rather run over with a car.  And wouldn't it be nice if the President is reelected and can work for 24 months without dealing with his own impeachment?

I am going to pull all the R's I can find... I have high hopes that we can send warner packing in november but the 11th (connelly) is not going to change....

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 01:52:24 pm »
Where did you ever see me say anything like that?  He has no opponent in the general. I voted for someone else in the primary.

I didn't know he was running unopposed.  BIG difference.  Thanks!

Online rustynail

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »

Only...Republicans had the speakership and the committee chairmanships in the house before and they did nothing.  And I'm sorry, but the "impeachment was a distraction" excuse is bogus.  They weren't all working on the impeachment 24/7.  And what about the period before the impeachment?  *Crickets*

Sorry, but I see voting for these lazy lumps again as following the saying, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.  Been there, done that, not doing it again.