Author Topic: Tropical Storm Hanna Slowly Moving Toward Texas  (Read 2241 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Tropical Storm Hanna Slowly Moving Toward Texas
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 03:12:03 am »
Maybe we can finally get some sunshine out here in the Gulf.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 01:17:55 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Cyber, Texas hurricanes come about by hot water in the Gulf of Mexico.  The hotter the water the larger and more dangerous a hurricane is.  Winds are stronger so more water is pushed on shore and more rain falls and strong wind takes down buildings.

There are not many hurricanes in Texas in July.  The reason being, the water in the gulf is not yet hot enough to produce a hurricane and surely not a big one with enormous strength.  The hotter the gulf water gets, the more possible and larger and more dangerous are hurricanes.  There are larger and more dangerous ones in August, but the biggest and most dangerous ones are usually September and first part of October.

If one comes in at Galveston, it comes to my house north of Houston.  That is why I became a "prepper", so I would have what I needed when power went out which it always did when a hurricane came through.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:43:22 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 01:39:03 pm »
2- 1/4" rains.  What a bust.  Wife even had to water the garden.  Of course, I also witnessed a 55" rain in Harvey, so I guess I can count my blessings.
@catfish1957

My area north of Houston, got 40 inches from Harvey and my house did not flood.  House was supposed to be in the 100 year flood plain and my friend insurance man at the time I bought it, said I did not need flood insurance.  I figured the 100 year thingy would be updated after that much water, and that much water freaked me out, so I do have flood insurance now.

I am going to remember you if other hurricanes happen in Texas this year - we can compare what is happening.   :beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »
@catfish1957

My area north of Houston, got 40 inches from Harvey and my house did not flood.  House was supposed to be in the 100 year flood plain and my friend insurance man at the time I bought it, said I did not need flood insurance.  I figured the 100 year thingy would be updated after that much water, and that much water freaked me out, so I do have flood insurance now.

I am going to remember you if other hurricanes happen in Texas this year - we can compare what is happening.   :beer:

We didn't have any flooding either, as we live in one of the higher areas of ground in this part of SE Texas. If you can call anything really high ground in SE Texas none the less.  Seeing 55 inches of rain in two days was quite remarkable though, and I understand it is possibly the heaviest rain event in history in the contiguous US 48.  Homes in a subdivison a mile a way were completely submerged.  Thankfully word got out, and water rescues were minimal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 02:36:08 pm »

We didn't have any flooding either, as we live in one of the higher areas of ground in this part of SE Texas. If you can call anything really high ground in SE Texas none the less.  Seeing 55 inches of rain in two days was quite remarkable though, and I understand it is possibly the heaviest rain event in history in the contiguous US 48.  Homes in a subdivison a mile a way were completely submerged.  Thankfully word got out, and water rescues were minimal.

We got more than 50" (I would have to go and check my records to see the exact number) where I live WSW of Huntsville but the ground elevation here is 345' ASL so no flooding here ever.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idiot

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 02:56:42 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Cyber, Texas hurricanes come about by hot water in the Gulf of Mexico.  The hotter the water the larger and more dangerous a hurricane is.  Winds are stronger so more water is pushed on shore and more rain falls and strong wind takes down buildings.

There are not many hurricanes in Texas in July.  The reason being, the water in the gulf is not yet hot enough to produce a hurricane and surely not a big one with enormous strength.  The hotter the gulf water gets, the more possible and larger and more dangerous are hurricanes.  There are larger and more dangerous ones in August, but the biggest and most dangerous ones are usually September and first part of October.

If one comes in at Galveston, it comes to my house north of Houston.  That is why I became a "prepper", so I would have what I needed when power went out which it always did when a hurricane came through.
My first cruise was leaving from Galveston and going to Key West ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO.  When our ship left, Hurricane Katrina was in the gulf.  We sailed through the back half of the hurricane in 30' seas.  I've never been so sick.  You'd have to hang onto the walls to get up out of bed.  Since then every other cruise has been a piece of cake...lol.  I'll never forget watching on TV the damage Katrina did.  We were just praying that our car was still there in Galveston.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 03:55:21 pm »
We got more than 50" (I would have to go and check my records to see the exact number) where I live WSW of Huntsville but the ground elevation here is 345' ASL so no flooding here ever.

We got around 53" in the neighborhood directly north of Hobby Airport with a ground elevation of 36' ASL(per Google Earth -Though the airport shows an elevation of 46'). We didn't flood but quite a few houses in my neighborhood did. The water, at its worst, came halfway up into our yard.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 04:02:26 pm »
Since Saturday, Probably 3" of rain, including today so far, from Hanna.
Feeder Bands.
SW of Houston.....

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:56 pm »
My first cruise was leaving from Galveston and going to Key West ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO.  When our ship left, Hurricane Katrina was in the gulf.  We sailed through the back half of the hurricane in 30' seas.  I've never been so sick.  You'd have to hang onto the walls to get up out of bed.  Since then every other cruise has been a piece of cake...lol.  I'll never forget watching on TV the damage Katrina did.  We were just praying that our car was still there in Galveston.
@mrpotatohead

My husband was a Vice-President of American National Insurance Co., home office in Galveston.  The company awarded high earning agents, 1000 of them, a trip to various foreign counties and the next year, sent them to a US location, then back to a foreign one the next year, etc. 

They sent 500 one week and another 500 the next week.  Husband was in charge of Agent's Financing so he had to be there both weeks for meetings, so we were at the locations for two weeks.  One time we were sent to Nassau, Bahamas, by SHIP, had to cross the GULF STREAM.

The ship was not stable going through this water.  The rolling, etc., started just as people were going into the ship restaurant to eat.  We got nauseated and left the restaurant before the food came.  Going to the room, we saw people in the halls throwing up in ash trays attached to walls.  We had twin beds and got in them, both with a plastic bag in case one of us threw up.  Neither of us threw up but it was a horrible night.

The next morning, the loud speaker came on at 7 am, telling us to go topside for instruction on using life vests.  We did not get up, too nauseated still - decided we would just drown if ship wrecked.  Actually, husband was part fish as he had been an underwater swimmer at the Water Park at San Marcos, Texas, where he grew up. He was also strong and could save both of us if in the water, plus I could also swim a long way using a side stroke.

So, we make it to Nassau the next morning.  Some of the agents bought airline tickets to fly home rather than be on the ship going back - the sickness was that bad.  We had our first meal there, a simple breakfast, since getting sick the day before.  Going back to Florida, the ship was okay, we did not get sick.

Neither of us would take a ship trip again.  You DID take more ship trips - you are brave, to trust your stomach dealing with water currents.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 07:17:49 pm »
I've had shipmates on their first underway get seasick while we were still tied up to the dock. And another that shortly became seasick after landing onboard while we were steaming in 3 ft seas. I've never been seasick even in 50 ft seas.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 07:31:27 pm »
My one and only sea voyage. Rented a fishing boat for our party, there was a small craft advisory for hurricane that I think hit Texas the previous day. Boat was bigger than the one used for the movie Jaws, but not much bigger.

We got out 20 miles to sea and the rocking had most of us hanging over the side of the boat feeding the fish we were suppose to be fishing for. Had one uncle that was seaworthy and he took his raincoat and went to the side of the ship that got waves spraying (but no people) and he fished the whole trip. The rest of us just urped (threw up) and sat in the middle section of the boat with buckets.

So one deep sea urp fest.... never went to sea again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:34:43 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 08:14:05 pm »
I go further back than that.  When I was a kid my dad was a meteorologist working at the Weather Bureau at the Galveston airport when Carla hit.  That one was historic due to the tide surges and high winds over a large area, with Galveston the bullseye.  It swamped our house in La Marque.
@IsailedawayfromFR

My to-be husband lived in LaMarque during the time you were there.  I recall his talking about Carla.  We lived in League City, NASA area, from the 1970s until 1990.  I was an Associate School Psychologist in the Clear Creek School System during those years as well as Administrator of Services for Disabled Students at College of the Mainland in Texas City.  LaMarque was the next town toward Galveston.  My husband worked for American National Insurance Co., the only really tall building in Galveston.  If you went to Galveston, you saw that tall building.

Just like you, every summer through first part of October, we didn't know if a hurricane was coming up Hwy. 45 from Galveston.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 08:29:04 pm »
Alicia darn sure did.
I lived by Ellington AFB at the time.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 10:28:14 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

My to-be husband lived in LaMarque during the time you were there.  I recall his talking about Carla.  We lived in League City, NASA area, from the 1970s until 1990.  I was an Associate School Psychologist in the Clear Creek School System during those years as well as Administrator of Services for Disabled Students at College of the Mainland in Texas City.  LaMarque was the next town toward Galveston.  My husband worked for American National Insurance Co., the only really tall building in Galveston.  If you went to Galveston, you saw that tall building.

Just like you, every summer through first part of October, we didn't know if a hurricane was coming up Hwy. 45 from Galveston.
Interesting.  If he lived in La Marque, he will recall the smell of the Texas City Chemical Plant of Union Carbide.  Wind the right way was a real encouragement to staying inside, if one had A/C.  Unfortunately, we did not.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 10:21:45 pm »
New storm's name over Hispanola is ISAIAS...

Uh....  anyone want to give us the prounounciaton on that one?

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 03:29:57 am »
New storm's name over Hispanola is ISAIAS...

Uh....  anyone want to give us the prounounciaton on that one?

@catfish1957

Record-breaking 2020 hurricane season ramping up: Tropical Storm Isaias (pronounced ees-ah-ee-ahs) is the earliest "I-storm" on record in the Tropical Atlantic, breaking the record previously held by Irene, which formed on Aug. 7, 2005.

http://www.thebigwobble.org/2020/07/record-breaking-2020-hurricane-season.html