Author Topic: Transcript: Senator Ted Cruz on "Face the Nation," July 26, 2020  (Read 629 times)

Online libertybele

Transcript: Senator Ted Cruz on "Face the Nation," July 26, 2020

The following is a transcript of an interview with Texas Senator Ted Cruz that aired Sunday, July 26, 2020, on "Face the Nation."

MARGARET BRENNAN: We now turn to Texas Senator Ted Cruz. Senator, thank you for joining us. Before we get to business, your reflection on John Lewis.

SENATOR TED CRUZ: Well, John Lewis was an extraordinary hero. He was a civil rights icon. When I was newly elected to the Senate, I had the- the privilege of joining John and joining much of the Congressional Black Caucus in flying to South Africa for- for Nelson Mandela's funeral. And- and I was the only senator who attended Mandela's funeral and the entire flight there and the flight back we- we basically sat around John Lewis and listened to his stories of him as a young man, a hero, fighting for civil rights and enduring that horrific beating on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. And I have to say, he was a man who believed in justice, who had incredible courage, and he is an inspiration for many generations to come.

MARGARET BRENNAN: Thank you for that, Senator. I do want to ask you about the business at hand, which, as we know from the White House and from Leader McConnell's office, is this bill they plan to introduce tomorrow to provide another round of aid. You opposed it earlier this week. Are you on board now?

SEN. CRUZ: I- I am not. We have right now two simultaneous national crises. We have a global pandemic. It is serious. It is taking the lives of over 600,000 people. We need to do significantly more to fight the disease. At the same time, we have an absolute economic catastrophe. We have over 44 million Americans have lost their job, and we have got to get America back to work. Unfortunately, I just listened to your interview with Speaker Pelosi, her objectives are focused on neither of those. Her objectives are shoveling cash at the problem and shutting America down. And in particular, you look at the three trillion dollar bill she's trying to push. It's just shoveling money to her friends and not actually solving the problem. Our objective should be Americans want to get back to work. They want to be able to provide for their family. .................

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-senator-ted-cruz-on-face-the-nation-july-26-2020/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pam Key 26 Jul 2020

Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) argued Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was using the coronavirus relief bills for “shoveling money to her friends.”

Partial transcript as follows:

MARGARET BRENNAN: I do want to ask you about the business at hand, which, as we know from the White House and from Leader McConnell’s office, is this bill they plan to introduce tomorrow to provide another round of aid. You opposed it earlier this week. Are you on board now?

CRUZ: I- I am not. We have right now two simultaneous national crises. We have a global pandemic. It is serious. It is taking the lives of over 600,000 people. We need to do significantly more to fight the disease. At the same time, we have an absolute economic catastrophe. We have over 44 million Americans have lost their job, and we have got to get America back to work. Unfortunately, I just listened to your interview with Speaker Pelosi, her objectives are focused on neither of those. Her objectives are shoveling cash at the problem and shutting America down. And in particular, you look at the three trillion dollar bill she’s trying to push. It’s just shoveling money to her friends and not actually solving the problem. Our objective should be Americans want to get back to work. They want to be able to provide for their family.

BRENNAN: Right.

CRUZ: They want to be- be- be hopeful for the future. And- and unfortunately, MARGARET, I think we’re seeing Democrats. We’re seeing Democratic governors. We’re seeing Democratic mayors who–

BRENNAN: But what specifically- but what specifically because in terms of the unemployment benefits, do you object to providing any kind or any amount of federal boosts to unemployment at this point? Because not everyone is choosing to be out of work.

CRUZ: The policy that Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats are pushing adds an additional $600 a week of federal money to unemployment. We have the unemployment system, the system we have had–

BRENNAN: Right, and McConnell and wants to take it down to 70% of prior wages.

CRUZ: Except, the problem is, for 68% of people receiving it right now, they are being paid more on unemployment than they made in their job. And I’ll tell you, I’ve spoken to small business owners all over the state of Texas who are trying to reopen and they’re calling their- their waiters and waitresses,–

BRENNAN: Yeah.

CRUZ: –they’re calling their busboys, and they won’t come back. And, of course, they won’t come back because the federal government is paying them, in some instances, twice as much money to stay home as–

BRENNAN: But you’re open to a lesser amount?

CRUZ: I, look, I- what we ought to focus on, instead of just shoveling trillions out the door, we ought to be passing a recovery bill. Now, what’s a recovery bill? A recovery bill would be lifting the taxes and the regulations that are hammering small businesses so that people can go back to work. A recovery bill–

BRENNAN: Right.

CRUZ: –would suspend the payroll tax, which would give it a- a pay raise to everyone in America who’s working. That actually gets people back to work.

BRENNAN: Well as the treasury secretary said this morning that you could have five, six, seven other bills come in along that include things like a payroll tax but this time, unemployment in particular is something that he said needs to be extended. And- and according to our latest CBS poll, it’s very popular. 74% of Republicans approve more stimulus and added benefits. 92% of Democrats. 82% of independents. So Republicans do have the burden of governing right now.

CRUZ: Absolutely–

BRENNAN: Why aren’t you onboard with this?

CRUZ: I am on board with restarting the economy. What- what Democrats want to do- we’re 100 days out from the presidential elec- election. The only objective Democrats have is to defeat Donald Trump, and they’ve cynically decided the best way to defeat Donald Trump is shut down every business in America, shut down every school in America. You know, Nancy Pelosi talks about working men and women. What she’s proposing is keeping working men and women from working. And, you know, ironically, what she does have in her bill? She has a big tax cut for millionaires and billionaires in blue states.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020/07/26/ted-cruz-pelosi-is-shoveling-money-to-her-friends-with-coronavirus-stimulus/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: Transcript: Senator Ted Cruz on "Face the Nation," July 26, 2020
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:14:22 am »
UGH. Not impressed.  Give us some solutions. Not the, woulda, shoulda, coulda speech...Tell us HOW, to fix it all Cruz.....
Just complaining and stating the obvious is crap.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:05:04 am »
I like Cruz, and the truth is...there's not really one thing he'd have done differently than President Trump in terms of policy. He's a solid man but he lacks the charisma of a Donald Trump...and the boldness. He IS more articulate and certainly more of a policy wonk, so he definitely has "presidential" qualities. On this
issue, however, he's just taken the safe position for a future GOP presidential candidate...oppose something that he knows will likely pass without his support so he can claim to be the "fiscally responsible" candidate in the next presidential election.

All that said, heading into 2024 I'm a heavy Cruz lean at this point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:05:59 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:48:25 am »
I like Cruz, and the truth is...there's not really one thing he'd have done differently than President Trump in terms of policy. He's a solid man but he lacks the charisma of a Donald Trump...and the boldness. He IS more articulate and certainly more of a policy wonk, so he definitely has "presidential" qualities. On this
issue, however, he's just taken the safe position for a future GOP presidential candidate...oppose something that he knows will likely pass without his support so he can claim to be the "fiscally responsible" candidate in the next presidential election.

Cruz is not electable.  He just doesn't come across well at all.  There will never be another conservative elected president...EVER.  It's just not possible as the numbers just continue to fade away.....

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:00:46 am »

I don't like any professional politicians. Good with the rhetoric.....that's it.  I agree with you on the rest.  He is an attorney. Why doesn't , he do MORE for America?   Cruz is born in Canada.  He did rescind his dual citizenship with Canada.  I do not trust him at all.  Once someone shows you who they are, believe them.  He is a RINO.  I remember the crap he pulled to try & win.  Nothing honorable about him.  Why people keep falling for slick talkers, is beyond me.  I am a senior and grannie.  Woman's intuition has NOT, failed me yet.  NEVER.  He is a talker.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:54:57 pm »
Cruz is not electable.  He just doesn't come across well at all.  There will never be another conservative elected president...EVER.  It's just not possible as the numbers just continue to fade away.....

Correct and not as long as there is a REPUBLICAN Party. Once the R party goes away you will see a number of conservatives elected. However the R party will fight to there death to prevent another DJ TRUMP from being elected ever AGAIN. ****slapping

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 12:24:26 am »
Correct and not as long as there is a REPUBLICAN Party. Once the R party goes away you will see a number of conservatives elected. However the R party will fight to there death to prevent another DJ TRUMP from being elected ever AGAIN. ****slapping

Are you making a joke?  YOU THINK....demon-rats are conservatives?    DEMON-RATS and RINO'S are the problem....NOT REPUBLICANS.  You have it totally backwards.  RED.  Remove Every Demon-rat.  THEY are the party of debauchery.  Anything goes.  Pedophilia, beastiality, trannies,  tattoos on face, green hair/ pink hair.  You think a conservative will come from removing republicans?  WE LOVE A POTUS BUSINESSMAN D.J. TRUMP!    22222frying pan

COUNTDOWN TO TOTAL CIVIL WAR: BLOOD IN THE STREETS, COLLAPSE OF THE UNITED STATES! MONDAY LIVE
UN/Soros/Chicom forces have publicly activated communist death squads and are shooting & stabbing innocent people as America burns
Infowars.com - JULY 27, 2020

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 12:34:20 am »

Are you making a joke?  YOU THINK....demon-rats are conservatives?    DEMON-RATS and RINO'S are the problem....NOT REPUBLICANS.  You have it totally backwards.  RED.  Remove Every Demon-rat.  THEY are the party of debauchery.  Anything goes.  Pedophilia, beastiality, trannies,  tattoos on face, green hair/ pink hair.  You think a conservative will come from removing republicans?  WE LOVE A POTUS BUSINESSMAN D.J. TRUMP!    22222frying pan

COUNTDOWN TO TOTAL CIVIL WAR: BLOOD IN THE STREETS, COLLAPSE OF THE UNITED STATES! MONDAY LIVE
UN/Soros/Chicom forces have publicly activated communist death squads and are shooting & stabbing innocent people as America burns
@LegalAmerican
Hey dingbat...despite your desire to have his love child...not everything is about Trump...including this thread.  Try to keep up
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 12:41:29 am »

Its true that while the rats are the primary threat most of the GOP hates conservatives and Trump and will try to prevent another candidate like him from again stealing 'their' franchise.

We need them now but do not make the mistake of considering them solid allies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 12:53:12 am »

@Mesaclone

And there it is.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:56 am »

@mrpotatohead

I disagree. While I DO freely admit there is something about him that really creeps me out,he is clearly an intellectual giant compared to the coneheads he would be running against,and the name "Cruz" will gain him the his and her Panic votes. No small consideration these days.

Especially when you consider the typical voter with a Spanish last name tends to be conservative. Yeah,there are those racist boneheads whose organizational name I can't remember at the moment,but they just get all the press because the press wants you to think everybody but Neanderthals vote Dim.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!