Author Topic: Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty un  (Read 605 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty unknown
By Gregory Pratt and Jeremy Gorner
Chicago Tribune |
Jul 20, 2020 at 4:04 PM

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is crafting plans to deploy about 150 federal agents to Chicago this week, the Chicago Tribune has learned, a move that would come amid growing controversy nationally about federal force being used in American cities.

The Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, agents are set to assist other federal law enforcement and Chicago police in crime-fighting efforts, according to sources familiar with the matter, though a specific plan on what the agents will be doing had not been made public.

One city official said the city was aware of the plan but not any specifics. The Chicago Police Department had no immediate comment.

One Immigration and Customs Enforcement official in Chicago, who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, confirmed the deployment was expected to take place. The official noted that the HSI agents, who are part of ICE, would not be involved in immigration or deportation matters.

more
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-chicago-police-dhs-deployment-20200720-dftu5ychwbcxtg4ltarh5qnwma-story.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Acting DHS secretary: I don't need 'invitation' from Portland to deploy officers
By John Bowden - 07/20/20 04:36 PM EDT

Acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Chad Wolf argued Monday that he does not need authorization or an "invitation" from local officials before deploying federal law enforcement assets to detain suspects.

In an interview with Fox News, Wolf defended his authority to conduct law enforcement operations on the streets of Portland, Ore., where local officials have requested that DHS withdraw after videos of protesters being snatched off the street by officers in unmarked cars sparked outrage.

"I don't need invitations by the state, state mayors or state governors to do our job. We're going to do that, whether they like us there or not," Wolf said.

"We want to work with them," he added. "And we have a great working relationship with the vast majority of local law enforcement. However there are some communities that, again, wand to breed this environment that allows this lawlessness."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/department-of-homeland-security/508176-acting-dhs-secretary-i-dont-need
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

This seems to be some good news and I hope that DHS is successful in restoring some sort of "calm" to Portland and other areas.  A couple of red flags stick out in reading this article; for one "scope unknown" is very invasive and his comment "we want to work with them", to me seems like they will be negotiating.  There should be no negotiation when people break the law and the mayor and governor refuse to restore order.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This seems to be some good news and I hope that DHS is successful in restoring some sort of "calm" to Portland and other areas.  A couple of red flags stick out in reading this article; for one "scope unknown" is very invasive and his comment "we want to work with them", to me seems like they will be negotiating.  There should be no negotiation when people break the law and the mayor and governor refuse to restore order.
But if you 'work with them' you find out who the collaborators are--and then you can arrest them as accessories.

Who at ICE leaked it? They need a new job. They were not authorized to speak on the matter, so they should have kept their mouth shut.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I don't know how the structure works, but i know our deputies, or many of them, are cross deputized county/state, county/federal, state (trooper/warden)/federal...

I dont't know if that is normal, or if it is because we have so much land to cover with very few officers...

The deputies work for county, but can, with little more than a moment's notice, be operating under  different aegis. Similar to Nat Guard being called up under a federal aegis... I wonder if they can work with that...