Author Topic: US May Need to Nationalize Military Aircraft Industry, USAF Says  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

US May Need to Nationalize Military Aircraft Industry, USAF Says

By Marcus Weisgerber Global Business Editor Read bio

July 14, 2020

That’s unless the Air Force can find a way to keep both competition and the few remaining U.S. plane-makers alive, the service’s acquisition chief said.

The United States might need to nationalize parts of the military aviation sector if the Pentagon does not come up with new ways to buy planes that stimulate more competition in private industry, a top Air Force official warned.

Will Roper, the head of Air Force acquisition, spoke Tuesday morning as the service finalizes ambitious plans to buy a new series of combat fighter jets called the Digital Century Series.

“We have multiple vendors who can still build a high-end, tactical platform,” Roper told reporters. “I think it’s really important that we find a new model where there are no big winners and no big losers, but continual competition.”

https://www.defenseone.com/business/2020/07/us-may-need-nationalize-military-aircraft-industry-usaf-says/166894/?oref=d_brief_nl

Offline EdinVA

Re: US May Need to Nationalize Military Aircraft Industry, USAF Says
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:09:37 am »
I can see it now... Amazon selling F-22....

I would submit, the issue is not the private industry, it is the federal acquisition process that is screwed up.