Author Topic: China’s quantum satellite enables first totally secure long-range messages  (Read 1416 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
In the middle of the night, invisible to anyone but special telescopes in two Chinese observatories, satellite Micius sends particles of light to Earth to establish the world’s most secure communication link. Named after the ancient Chinese philosopher also known as Mozi, Micius is the world’s first quantum communications satellite and has, for several years, been at the forefront of quantum encryption. Scientists have now reported using this technology to reach a major milestone: long-range secure communication you could trust even without trusting the satellite it runs through.

https://theconversation.com/chinas-quantum-satellite-enables-first-totally-secure-long-range-messages-140803
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
This article is a month old. There may be other newer items at this url. Or anywhere in the interwebs.

Between AI and quantum computing, any kind of privacy you think you have, in the cyber world, will be gone.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
China Reaches New Milestone in Space-Based Quantum Communications

Scientific American by  Karen Kwon on June 25, 2020

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/china-reaches-new-milestone-in-space-based-quantum-communications/

The nation’s Micius satellite successfully established an ultrasecure link between two ground stations separated by more than 1,000 kilometers

The launch of the Chinese satellite Micius in 2016 could have been viewed as merely a single addition to the 2,700-odd instruments already orbiting Earth. But Micius, which is solely dedicated to quantum information science, arguably represents the nation’s lead in an emerging contest among great powers at the frontiers of physics. The brainchild of physicist Jian-Wei Pan of the University of Science and Technology of China, the satellite has helped him and his colleagues achieve several groundbreaking results that are bringing the once esoteric field of quantum cryptography into the mainstream. Pan’s team presented a secure method of quantum messaging using Micius in a new paper, published on June 15 in Nature. The achievement brings the world—or China, at least—one step closer to realizing truly unhackable global communications.

In 2017 the team, along with a group of researchers in Austria, was able to employ the satellite to perform the world’s first quantum-encrypted virtual teleconference between Beijing and Vienna. Despite being a huge milestone, this method was not bulletproof against hacking. Micius itself was the weak point: The satellite “knew” the sequences of photons, or keys, for each location, as well as a combined key for decryption. If, somehow, a spy had carefully eavesdropped on its activity, the integrity of the teleconference could have been compromised.

To overcome this problem, the new demonstration by Pan and his colleagues ensured that Micius would not “know” anything. The trick was to avoid using the satellite as a communications relay. Instead the team relied on it solely for simultaneously transmitting a pair of secret keys to allow two ground stations in China, located more than 1,120 kilometers apart, to establish a direct link. “We don’t need to trust the satellite,” Pan says. “So the satellite can be made by anyone—even by your enemy.” Each secret key is one of two strings of entangled photon pairs. The laws of quantum physics dictate that any attempt to spy on such a transmission will unavoidably leave an errorlike footprint that can be easily detected by recipients at either station.

More at link.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline Joe Wooten

Does anypone actually believe the Chinese government? Sounds like propaganda to me.

Offline DB

Does anypone actually believe the Chinese government? Sounds like propaganda to me.

Yep. As in you are correct.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Yep. As in you are correct.

@Joe Wooten

I would have to dig for this one. Just kidding .

Quantum entanglement demonstrated aboard orbiting CubeSat

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-quantum-entanglement-aboard-orbiting-cubesat.html

In a critical step toward creating a global quantum communications network, researchers have generated and detected quantum entanglement onboard a CubeSat nanosatellite weighing less than 2.6 kilograms and orbiting the Earth.

"In the future, our system could be part of a global quantum network transmitting quantum signals to receivers on Earth or on other spacecraft," said lead author Aitor Villar from the Centre for Quantum Technologies at the National University of Singapore.

I watch these devolvements...I mean developments.

@roamer_1  @Smokin Joe

The cat is in the bag.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Joe Wooten

I would have to dig for this one. Just kidding .

Quantum entanglement demonstrated aboard orbiting CubeSat

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-quantum-entanglement-aboard-orbiting-cubesat.html

In a critical step toward creating a global quantum communications network, researchers have generated and detected quantum entanglement onboard a CubeSat nanosatellite weighing less than 2.6 kilograms and orbiting the Earth.

"In the future, our system could be part of a global quantum network transmitting quantum signals to receivers on Earth or on other spacecraft," said lead author Aitor Villar from the Centre for Quantum Technologies at the National University of Singapore.

I watch these devolvements...I mean developments.

@roamer_1  @Smokin Joe

The cat is in the bag.
But the bag is in the ether...

Does that mean it's stoned?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
But the bag is in the ether...

Does that mean it's stoned?

Depends on the wave.

Offline Smokin Joe

Depends on the wave.
Would those be positive waves or negative waves? Too many negative waves, man...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Would those be positive waves or negative waves? Too many negative waves, man...

That vid I posted on the Venn Diagrams and the Bell Inequality.

Apply it to your life. Whether you think about it or not you are polarized. The same as the next person. You both have opposing "life" views. Filtered through your own lens. If you aren't familiar with the concept please take the time to research.

Wave form. Zombie. The cat is in the bag, etc.  Concepts recorded throughout history as religious or myth. Or the Truth (:shrug:)

Appose and not so much oppose. The addition of an intermediary is significant to me personally from a Christian aspect.

Offline Smokin Joe

That vid I posted on the Venn Diagrams and the Bell Inequality.

Apply it to your life. Whether you think about it or not you are polarized. The same as the next person. You both have opposing "life" views. Filtered through your own lens. If you aren't familiar with the concept please take the time to research.

Wave form. Zombie. The cat is in the bag, etc.  Concepts recorded throughout history as religious or myth. Or the Truth (:shrug:)

Appose and not so much oppose. The addition of an intermediary is significant to me personally from a Christian aspect.
Sadly, I must Oppose. I'm  not A positive, I'm O positive. It's genetic.

I myth the truth, too.--most unlike those who truth the myth.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

So far what I got out of this thread is, 'wheres my Kelly's Heroes DVD?' :pondering: