Author Topic: In Florida, over 40 hospitals max out ICU capacity amid coronavirus surge  (Read 1729 times)

Online libertybele

In Florida, over 40 hospitals max out ICU capacity amid coronavirus surge

A surge of coronavirus cases in Florida has maxed out dozens of intensive care units (ICUs) at hospitals around the state, following an attempt by local officials to institute a phased reopening of the economy.

Over 40 hospitals are now hitting their limit with regard to ICU capacity, according to a CNBC News report.

This news comes on the same day that Florida reportedly announced its second-highest one-day COVID-19 infection rate.

“We’re putting ourselves at risk and other people aren’t willing to do anything and in fact go the other way and be aggressive to promote the disease,” Dr. Andrew Pastewski, who serves as ICU medical director at Jackson South Medical Center, told Reuters. "It’s just disheartening."

Palm Beach County school board member Marcia Andrews told the Palm Beach Post that local officials are ill-equipped to handle the current uptick in confirmed cases and were caught flat-footed by the resurgence..........

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-hospitals-max-out-icu-coronavirus
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From  the source article at CNBC https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronavirus-strains-florida-health-system-as-some-hospitals-run-out-of-icu-beds-in-largest-counties.html

As of Tuesday, more than 5,000 Florida patients were using roughly 83% of the state’s more than 6,000 ICU beds, according to Florida’s health agency, which is responsible for licensing the state’s health-care facilities. That leaves a little more than 1,000 free ICU beds, compared with nearly 1,400 available ICU beds less than three weeks ago, according to CBS’ local affiliate

From the FOX article:
Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, said earlier this week that he believed the state has “stabilized” but that he would still like to see the numbers get back to where they were in May and early June.

There has been a surge in new cases, but no mention of the age groups affected, nor whether there is any reason to believe these will lead to another 1000 ICU patients (There are plenty of other reasons to be in ICU, including post-op, and elective surgeries have been picking up all over with restrictions lifted.)

How much should Floridians be concerned?

Edited to add: https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/patient-flow/44-florida-hospitals-at-icu-capacity.html

These of the 303 hospitals in Fla. http://www.fha.org/facts.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:33:00 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

So, are these Covid patients flooding hospitals (as we are "supposed to" assume)? Or did the shutdown of "elective" surgeries cause pent-up demand and the worsening of some people's conditions due to surgery being delayed. I'm guessing both, with non-Covid patients being a large majority.

Silence isn't golden when it feeds an agenda.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

So, are these Covid patients flooding hospitals (as we are "supposed to" assume)? Or did the shutdown of "elective" surgeries cause pent-up demand and the worsening of some people's conditions due to surgery being delayed. I'm guessing both, with non-Covid patients being a large majority.

Silence isn't golden when it feeds an agenda.
Thats exactly what’s happening.

This sleight of hand by the rat media is really tiresome.

Offline Smokin Joe

Thats exactly what’s happening.

This sleight of hand by the rat media is really tiresome.
Nowhere in the articles does it say the ICUs are flooded with COVID patients, nor does it mention the age group of the new cases... Sleight of hand indeed.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

Today we have a total of 269,811 cases.  18,271 hospitalizations.  4242 deaths.  That is an increase of 15,300 new cases reported in Fla., 1,607 of those in SWFL; my county saw a jump of 1275 cases - 1 in 5 are testing positive and we have 20 ICU beds remaining.  Whether or not all the ICU beds are occupied with COVID patients makes no difference -- an ICU bed is an ICU bed and we only have 20 left and we just saw in increase of over 1,200 cases.  Those 18,2710 hospitalizations in the state are COVID hospitalizations.

Why this side of the state didn't close the beaches over the 4th is beyond me -- the beaches on the other side of the state were closed so they came here.  We are seeing the numbers.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429
https://www.winknews.com/2020/07/12/sundays-coronavirus-updates-15300-new-cases-reported-in-fla-1607-of-those-in-swfl/

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Nowhere in the articles does it say the ICUs are flooded with COVID patients, nor does it mention the age group of the new cases... Sleight of hand indeed.

The information provided by the Florida department of health (link below) does indicate the ages of COVID cases for each county as well as the hospitalizations.  In addition it breaks down the cases by gender and race. It even goes further into breaking down cases in each county by zip code. 

As far as case numbers I believe we are the highest in the country.

Offline Smokin Joe

Today we have a total of 269,811 cases.  18,271 hospitalizations.  4242 deaths.  That is an increase of 15,300 new cases reported in Fla., 1,607 of those in SWFL; my county saw a jump of 1275 cases - 1 in 5 are testing positive and we have 20 ICU beds remaining.  Whether or not all the ICU beds are occupied with COVID patients makes no difference -- an ICU bed is an ICU bed and we only have 20 left and we just saw in increase of over 1,200 cases.  Those 18,2710 hospitalizations in the state are COVID hospitalizations.

Why this side of the state didn't close the beaches over the 4th is beyond me -- the beaches on the other side of the state were closed so they came here.  We are seeing the numbers.

https://www.winknews.com/2020/07/12/sundays-coronavirus-updates-15300-new-cases-reported-in-fla-1607-of-those-in-swfl/
If they haven't banned hydroxychloroquine, Zithromax, and a zinc supplement, that should help keep early onset cases from becoming hospitalized.

Noted from the first link cases are up, but deaths are down. Likely these are younger people. In this state, there have been no deaths under 40 years old. None.
I'm not sure how that fits with your stats there, but if the cohort is younger, there may be less need for ICU beds from those patients. If the emergency is that bad, stop the elective surgeries for now and let the ICUs empty out for an anticipated wave of COVID patients.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:34:34 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

If they haven't banned hydroxychloroquine, Zithromax, and a zinc supplement, that should help keep early onset cases from becoming hospitalized.

Noted from the first link cases are up, but deaths are down. Likely these are younger people. In this state, there have been no deaths under 40 years old. None.
I'm not sure how that fits with your stats there, but if the cohort is younger, there may be less need for ICU beds from those patients. If the emergency is that bad, stop the elective surgeries for now and let the ICUs empty out for an anticipated wave of COVID patients.

Elective surgeries and procedures were shut down and just opened back up a couple of weeks ago -- not all procedures need hospitalizations.

The CEO of the health system here had asked over a month ago if he could prepare a near by arena should they need additional beds -- he was flat out declined.  That arena was updated a couple of years ago and that was the excuse they gave him -- the arena was under remodeling.  There is another smaller arena in the area but it is much, much older and hasn't been kept up over the years.

The only other option would be if one of the area hotels allowed the health system to turn a floor or two into hospital floors or perhaps use an area in our fairly new airport which would probably be the better place to utilize. I believe one area of the airport had been shutdown during the pandemic for lack of use.

Obviously it all boils down to money and manpower, of which the health system has little (I used to work and volunteer at the hospitals). I don't know if DeSantis can utilize fed $$ or how that works, but the situation is unsettling very unsettling right now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:52:49 pm by libertybele »

Offline Smokin Joe

Elective surgeries and procedures were shut down and just opened back up a couple of weeks ago -- not all procedures need hospitalizations.

The CEO of the health system here had asked over a month ago if he could prepare a near by arena should they need additional beds -- he was flat out declined.  That arena was updated a couple of years ago and that was the excuse they gave him -- the arena was under remodeling.  There is another smaller arena in the area but it is much, much older and hasn't been kept up over the years.

The only other option would be if one of the area hotels allowed the health system to turn a floor or two into hospital floors or perhaps use an area in our fairly new airport which would probably be the better place to utilize. I believe one area of the airport had been shutdown during the pandemic for lack of use.

Obviously it all boils down to money and manpower, of which the health system has little (I used to work and volunteer at the hospitals). I don't know if DeSantis can utilize fed $$ or how that works, but the situation is unsettling very unsettling right now.
See this, please. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,408201.msg2248180.html#msg2248180

An ounce of prevention...

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

See this, please. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,408201.msg2248180.html#msg2248180

An ounce of prevention...

I am not a candidate for that combo -- and I wouldn't think most heart patients wouldn't be either.  The antibiotic (z pack) is not heart friendly.

...Currently  Southwest Florida hospitals are running out of a drug used to treat patients with severe cases of COVID-19.

Meanwhile, Lee Health said it may restrict elective surgeries again, due to the rising number of cases.

Hospitals are exhausting their supply of the investigational drug, remdesivir, that’s shown to hasten recovery from COVID-19 by as much as four days.........

Also, the 17 year old that died in this area was given hydroxychloroquine and the z-pack -- she had underlying conditions, but obviously the combo didn't help.

Anyways .... I don't want to dwell on this anymore .... it is what it is and there isn't anything I can do about it, but take precautions the best that I can.  I've already delayed procedures .... so I'm sort of stuck in limbo and really praying for the best.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:11:03 pm by libertybele »

Offline Smokin Joe

I am not a candidate for that combo -- and I wouldn't think most heart patients wouldn't be either.  The antibiotic (z pack) is not heart friendly.

...Currently  Southwest Florida hospitals are running out of a drug used to treat patients with severe cases of COVID-19.

Meanwhile, Lee Health said it may restrict elective surgeries again, due to the rising number of cases.

Hospitals are exhausting their supply of the investigational drug, remdesivir, that’s shown to hasten recovery from COVID-19 by as much as four days.........

Anyways .... I don't want to dwell on this anymore .... it is what it is and there isn't anything I can do about it, but take precautions the best that I can.  I've already delayed procedures .... so I'm sort of stuck in limbo and really praying for the best.
Invermectin as a prophylactic medication has been used with great success in Brazil according to  the video.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And how many hospitals are there in Florida? My guess is that there are a LOT more than the 40 overloaded with CV patients.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

And how many hospitals are there in Florida? My guess is that there are a LOT more than the 40 overloaded with CV patients.
303 but not all have ICUs http://www.fha.org/facts.html] [url]http://www.fha.org/facts.html[/url]

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
303 but not all have ICUs [url]http://www.fha.org/facts.html]http://www.fha.org/facts.html] [url]http://www.fha.org/facts.html[/url]

So roughly 13% of the hospitals in that state are having this problem and the other 77% are not.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

More fake news. 

Offline Hoodat

Palm Beach County school board member Marcia Andrews told the Palm Beach Post that local officials are ill-equipped to handle the current uptick in confirmed cases and were caught flat-footed by the resurgence..........

Palm Beach County officials are ill-equipped to handle it?  You don't say.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline MajorClay

Rut roh

Offline mountaineer

Amy Kaufeldt  @Fox35Amy
ERRORS FOUND: Florida's positivity rate is skewed. #FOX35 went through #COVID19 test reports & found many clinics reporting 100% positivity. @orlandohealth  admits their number is wrong, saying it shows 98% positive, but it's actually 9.4%. @fox35orlando
6:18 AM · Jul 14, 2020·
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/orlando-health-confirms-state-covid-19-report-has-errors
By Robert Guaderrama
Published 12 hours ago
Updated 2 hours ago

ORLANDO, Fla. - The Florida Department of Health released its daily coronavirus testing report showing a statewide positivity rate of 11 percent, but FOX 35 quickly noticed some shocking positivity rates.

Countless labs report 100 percent positivity, which means every single person tested was positive.

FOX 35 sifted through the report to find local testing sites with high numbers, like Centra Care where the report showed 83 people were tested and all tested positive. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Amy Kaufeldt  @Fox35Amy
ERRORS FOUND: Florida's positivity rate is skewed. #FOX35 went through #COVID19 test reports & found many clinics reporting 100% positivity. @orlandohealth  admits their number is wrong, saying it shows 98% positive, but it's actually 9.4%. @fox35orlando
6:18 AM · Jul 14, 2020·

And even that 9.4% is likely to be highly inflated.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

And even that 9.4% is likely to be highly inflated.

I don't know what is going on -- the FL Dept of Health is now listing our county at 4300 positive cases when yesterday they listed our county with over 10,000 -- I went through and added up the cases per zip codes--- the total are over 10,000 so, I'm not sure why they listed the county back down to around 4,300.  Clerical error I'm sure.   *****rollingeyes*****

I'd say based on feedback from some of the medical personnel, I'd say the numbers are highly conservative.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I don't know what is going on -- the FL Dept of Health is now listing our county at 4300 positive cases when yesterday they listed our county with over 10,000 -- I went through and added up the cases per zip codes--- the total are over 10,000 so, I'm not sure why they listed the county back down to around 4,300.  Clerical error I'm sure.   *****rollingeyes*****

I'd say based on feedback from some of the medical personnel, I'd say the numbers are highly conservative.

Medical testing is like political polling in that the people who design either can ensure the results they want.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

At the current rate, Florida will reach herd immunity (60%) in approximately 175 days with a death rate far below the national average.  If the governor wants to do something effective, he should ban A/C usage throughout the state for the rest of the year.  Of course heat stroke deaths would increase, but covid deaths would fall.  And for now, no one is exploiting heat stroke deaths for political purposes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

At the current rate, Florida will reach herd immunity (60%) in approximately 175 days with a death rate far below the national average.  If the governor wants to do something effective, he should ban A/C usage throughout the state for the rest of the year.  Of course heat stroke deaths would increase, but covid deaths would fall.  And for now, no one is exploiting heat stroke deaths for political purposes.

Telling people in FL that they can't use their A/C is never going to happen -- not when we have temperatures in the 90's with anywhere from 80- 90% humidity.

A lot of our schools in the area don't have windows that open -- so no A/C would be pretty unbearable.

Online libertybele

Medical testing is like political polling in that the people who design either can ensure the results they want.

I'd say in this case probably very true and very political.