Author Topic: Turkey's Erdogan formally designates Hagia Sophia as a mosque  (Read 703 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Turkey's Erdogan formally designates Hagia Sophia as a mosque
Duration: 02:17 22 hrs ago

Turkey's President Erdogan issued a decree on Friday formally changing the status of the Hagia Sophia from a museum to a mosque. The decision was met with controversy as the historical landmark has roots in both Christianity and Islam. Holly Williams reports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/turkey-s-erdogan-formally-designates-hagia-sophia-as-a-mosque/vi-BB16CJXu?ocid=msedgntp

Pope 'pained' by Turkey's Hagia Sophia decision
Duration: 01:00 5 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-pained-by-turkey-s-hagia-sophia-decision/vi-BB16DOkR?ocid=msedgntp
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: Turkey's Erdogan formally designates Hagia Sophia as a mosque
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 09:25:07 pm »
Why would ANY, American...care,  what TURKEY does? 

Offline Chosen Daughter

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:35:50 pm »
Why would ANY, American...care,  what TURKEY does?

Why would Christians support Trump?  Christianity isn't an American thing.

Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:45:51 pm »

Mark 16:15

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Please don't do that. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:25:32 pm »
Please don't do that.

You are right. That was wrong.  I have several good friends who are both Christians and Trump supporters.  I may not agree with them but I don't see them any different than I ever have.  They are good people.  Smart people. 

I was set off by the Nationalist response.  I am sorry.  Forgive me.

And more appropriately I would have done better to bring up the fact that America is built on a Christian Foundation.  We have always been a country concerned for the World.  Whether it is in Africa, ME, Asia.........  We have sacrificed for others.  That is American.  That is why we should be concerned about Turkey and its global Islamic agenda.

And besides having concerns for human rights and fighting for freedom here and abroad stopping extremism is in our best interest.   Retreating from the World stage is like inviting terrorism to American shores.

Turkey is busy

Turkey’s Africa Strategy Threatens to Breed Islamist Extremism
By MICHAEL RUBIN
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/turkey-africa-strategy-threatens-to-breed-islamist-extremism/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:45:24 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:51:19 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

@mystery-ak 

Please think twice, about what her insanity is doing here, for the sake of a "few clicks more"

She means to insult Trump's supporters, by implying they cannot be Christians. Earlier today it was some jibberish typing Qanon with religion.

Have here take a long break, visit her pastor, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 12:17:08 am »
@Cyber Liberty

@mystery-ak 

Please think twice, about what her insanity is doing here, for the sake of a "few clicks more"

She means to insult Trump's supporters, by implying they cannot be Christians. Earlier today it was some jibberish typing Qanon with religion.

Have here take a long break, visit her pastor, etc.

What is jiberish is suggesting such nationalism that we shouldn't care what Turkey does.  I was wrong and I admitted it but the response was directly related to why Christians would support a president that doesn't care what Turkey does.   Turkey is spreading its extremism throughout the world and Christians should care.  They should care about Syria where Christians have been cleansed during this Turkish campaign.  Yes I do get quite worked up about it.  I think I am supposed to.  But what I said was wrong.  I asked for forgiveness.  I think that speaks to my character that I am big enough to admit when I am wrong.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 01:29:15 am »
What Erdogan did was permit Muslim religious service at Hagia Sophia;
the same as it was from 1450 till 1950.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:22 am »
I was in Istanbul back in the 1990s with my mother as the first stop on a Mediterranean Cruise.  We toured  Hagia Sophia.  Stunning.  It's too bad it won't be a museum anymore. 

At the time Mom and I were in Turkey, the country was trying to develop its tourism industry.  It was a secular country making progress toward the modern age  One could see a few burqas or hajibs, but many women were dressed like our female tour guide in pants and a shirt.  However, at the time we were in Istanbul, there were local elections coming up and our guide was concerned that "conservatives" would win, eventually take over the whole county and push it back into the dark ages.

At the time, we didn't know or understand what was happening in the Middle East.  After 9-11, watching the rise of the Taliban, Al Qaeda and ISIS, I thought about our tour guide and it was only then that I appreciated her concern.  Sometimes I wonder what happened to her.  I expect she isn't wearing pants anymore.  Sad.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 03:46:11 am »
I was in Istanbul back in the 1990s with my mother as the first stop on a Mediterranean Cruise.  We toured  Hagia Sophia.  Stunning.  It's too bad it won't be a museum anymore. 
At the time Mom and I were in Turkey, the country was trying to develop its tourism industry.  It was a secular country making progress toward the modern age  One could see a few burqas or hajibs, but many women were dressed like our female tour guide in pants and a shirt.  However, at the time we were in Istanbul, there were local elections coming up and our guide was concerned that "conservatives" would win, eventually take over the whole county and push it back into the dark ages.
At the time, we didn't know or understand what was happening in the Middle East.  After 9-11, watching the rise of the Taliban, Al Qaeda and ISIS, I thought about our tour guide and it was only then that I appreciated her concern.  Sometimes I wonder what happened to her.  I expect she isn't wearing pants anymore.  Sad.
---------------------
@ Applewood, this anecdote might clarify.
At the start of the Great War, the Ottoman Empire began an assault against Russia in the Crimea, causing great fear among the English & French, who needed Russia to exert
pressure on the Germans to prevent them from overwhelming the weakened
Allied Armies near Paris.
So a plan was devised (by Churchill and Staff) to assault Constantinople by sea, through
the Dardanelles Straight and force the Ottomans out of the War.
In brief, the Gallipoli Campaign was a colossal disaster inflicting 250,000 allied casualties, primarily of Australians and New Zealanders.
The Hero of Gallipoli was Mustafa Kemal, the Ottoman Commander who had lived and
trained in pre-War Prussia for a decade.
After the War, he became Ruler of, now Turkey, and, in effect, abolished the 700 year Islamic Caliphate/Sultanate.
His principal reforms included:
* completely removing Islam from all secular affairs of state,
* permitting intermarriage between Muslim and non-Muslim,
* separating the teachings of the Koran from secular education in Art and Science.
He brought Turkey out of its 700 year nightmare and into modern times.
Erdogan wants a return to that past.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:39:20 am by Absalom »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 10:54:38 am »
@Absalom

Thank you for that history lesson.  I seem to remember there was a movie about Gallipoli, but I've never seen it.   

The people of Istanbul we encountered during our trip were very kind and friendly.  Our cruise ship was moored at a dock facing a building with large picture windows that housed a cafeteria.  As we were leaving, the customers and staff of the restaurant came to the windows to wave at us to see us off.  Of course, I have no illusions that the people actually cared about us tourists; they were just happy to have the American dollars we spent there. 

Since 9-11, I don't think any cruise lines go to Istanbul.  The radicals in their zeal to return to the dark ages basically destroyed what was a thriving tourism economy.  Why any of the voters in that country would want to go backwards instead of forwards is just beyond my comprehension. 

Of course, I don't know why voters here would want to return to the dark days of Obama's reign either.