Author Topic: Robert De Niro says coronavirus decimated his finances  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Robert De Niro says coronavirus decimated his finances
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 12:57:25 pm »
Many women, when they divorce, are bitter.  They want to live the high life and they expect hubby to pay through the nose as revenge.  I don't blame DeNiro for objecting to becoming an ATM for his ex.

Or ... after two children and 21 years Grace Hightower's earned a fair share of the $500,000 million amassed over those years.   :shrug:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 01:37:45 pm »
Or ... after two children and 21 years Grace Hightower's earned a fair share of the $500,000 million amassed over those years.   :shrug:

What is exactly a "fair share?"  Having worked for attorneys and seen a few acrimonious divorces in my time, it seems both parties always have vastly different views on what is fair.    In most circumstances, the wife would be entitled to support for herself and minor children.  But she is not entitled to bleed the husband dry.

@Hoodat posted above that there is a pre-nup agreement in place with added provisions in the event of divorce that protect Mr. DeNiro should he falls on hard times.  Whatever is in that agreement will likely determine what Mi Hightower is entitled to.  Seems to me if Mr. DeNiro can prove hardship, Miz Hightower may have to find some other way to pay her big AMEX bill or, as I said previously, reduce her expenditures to what she CAN afford. 

It's a shame the parties can't work this out and who knows -- maybe they will.   One of my relatives and his wife recently finalized their divorce.  Apparently, it was an amicable split -- they were able to work out financial and custody arrangements on their own without court involvement.  But my cousin and his ex-wife are both ordinary working stiffs.  They don't have $50,000 or $100,000 limits on their AMEX cards.  For all I know, maybe they don't even have AMEX cards.  But the point is -- when parties are grownups and there isn't all that much money to fight over, people can be reasonable and work out things.    It's just sad that the wealthy like these two don't have that same kind of maturity.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 02:05:51 pm »
What is exactly a "fair share?" 

Putting your legal expertise aside for a moment, I don't know what the fair share for these two is .... and, believe it or not, neither do you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 05:29:13 pm »
Putting your legal expertise aside for a moment, I don't know what the fair share for these two is .... and, believe it or not, neither do you.

No need to be snarky.  Unless the parties can come to an agreement, the court will decide what is fair. 

And right now I really don't give a chit what happens in this case or about the two of them for that matter.  Plenty of issues in this world are far more important than whether Miz Hightower gets an increase in her AMEX credit line or not.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »
Well, shucks.  Now Robert, imagine how the folks who were living from paycheck to paycheck are doing, especially if the shutdowns cost them their health insurance, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »
No need to be snarky.  Unless the parties can come to an agreement, the court will decide what is fair.

The two parties already came to an agreement back in 2004.  One side is now contesting that agreement.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-