Author Topic: New bill would require NY cops to have personal insurance for liability suits  (Read 311 times)

rangerrebew

New bill would require NY cops to have personal insurance for liability suits

By Carl Campanile

July 7, 2020 | 12:03am | Updated

State lawmakers are churning out more proposed laws to hold cops accountable for misconduct.

A bill introduced by state Sen. Alessandra Biaggi (D-Bronx) would require police officers to obtain personal liability insurance to cover civil lawsuits filed against them for excessive force and other abuses as a way to deter misconduct.

Under current law, cops who are sued are represented by the city law department and taxpayers foot the bill for any verdict or settlement.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/bill-would-require-ny-cops-to-have-insurance-for-liability-suits/

rangerrebew

New York really wants to get rid of cops, don't they? :headbang:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
New bill would require NY cops to have personal insurance for liability suits

By Carl Campanile

July 7, 2020 | 12:03am | Updated

State lawmakers are churning out more proposed laws to hold cops accountable for misconduct.

A bill introduced by state Sen. Alessandra Biaggi (D-Bronx) would require police officers to obtain personal liability insurance to cover civil lawsuits filed against them for excessive force and other abuses as a way to deter misconduct.

Under current law, cops who are sued are represented by the city law department and taxpayers foot the bill for any verdict or settlement.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/bill-would-require-ny-cops-to-have-insurance-for-liability-suits/

Deter misconduct? I see this as only opening the door for bogus accusations in order for thugs to collect $$.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.