Author Topic: The Marlin 336: One of 2019's Most-Popular Lever Guns  (Read 3608 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Marlin 336: One of 2019's Most-Popular Lever Guns
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 03:23:10 pm »
@Elderberry

Yeah,anytime you can buy a quality main battle rifle in good condition for 200 bucks,you need to snap it up. Chances of buying a good metric FL-FAL for 200 bucks are roughly the same as winning the lottery.

BTW,what is a SCAR-H? Been out of the biz for a couple of decades now,and never heard of it.

@sneakypete

That SCAR-H is one fine weapon.

https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-scar-h

FN SCAR®-H Assault Rifle (7.62mm cal)

For the world’s most demanding combat and security units

The FN SCAR®-H STD assault rifle is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 Win caliber and is available with barrels of various lengths. These barrels are interchangeable in less than 5 minutes. The FN SCAR®-H assault rifle can be fitted with a 40mm FN40GL®-H Mk2 grenade launcher that quickly attaches to the lower rail of the rifle, for additional firepower, and an FN® FCU Mk3 fire control unit that increases hit probability of 40mm grenades, night and day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »
@sneakypete

That SCAR-H is one fine weapon.

https://www.fnherstal.com/en/product/fn-scar-h

@Elderberry

Thanks! Looks like a FINE close-quarters battle rifle,but those days are,I sincerely hope,far behind me. I much prefer something to "reach out and touch somebody" at ranges much further away than the typical shot for that type of rifle.

I can't even begin to imagine a world where things have gone so horribly wrong and desperate that someone like me is on an assault team.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 03:53:02 pm »
@Elderberry

Thanks! Looks like a FINE close-quarters battle rifle,but those days are,I sincerely hope,far behind me. I much prefer something to "reach out and touch somebody" at ranges much further away than the typical shot for that type of rifle.

I can't even begin to imagine a world where things have gone so horribly wrong and desperate that someone like me is on an assault team.

@sneakypete

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
SCAR-17S(semi)    = SCAR-H(heavy)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:57:41 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 04:16:19 pm »
As a gun novice why would I pick a lever action over a semi-automatic that loads itself. Does the lever action do a better job of perhaps stopping jams over the other?

@Elderberry
Because lever action guns are just COOOOOOL!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2020, 10:44:06 pm »
@Elderberry

It was at one point going to be the replacement for the M16/M4.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 12:32:35 am »
It was at one point going to be the replacement for the M16/M4.

@txradioguy

Speaking as a former 11F4S,that seems to have been an EXCELLENT idea to me!

The M-16/5.56mm rifle and round were designed for close warfare in a jungle,with rare shots more than a few feet away. Worked fine then and there,but now our troops are working in wide-open mountainous areas,and might have to shoot across a valley at a target on a hill on the other side. Which means they need a longer and heavier bullet to fight the wind and still have enough "steam" when it gets there to take the enemy out.

They really should have adopted that rifle as the Main Battle Rifle.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:15 pm »
@txradioguy

Speaking as a former 11F4S,that seems to have been an EXCELLENT idea to me!

The M-16/5.56mm rifle and round were designed for close warfare in a jungle,with rare shots more than a few feet away. Worked fine then and there,but now our troops are working in wide-open mountainous areas,and might have to shoot across a valley at a target on a hill on the other side. Which means they need a longer and heavier bullet to fight the wind and still have enough "steam" when it gets there to take the enemy out.

They really should have adopted that rifle as the Main Battle Rifle.

@sneakypete

They'd have made a great multi purpose MBR in the way the Slyer AUG has for the Australian forces.  I'd love to have shot one at the range.

Spec Ops use them. But not according the original purchase plan. They are only using the SCAR-H model now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:58:30 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 12:57:19 am »
Great share Tex....

Was cleaning guns the other day and ran across one of the wife's guns I never really paid much attention to... It was some off brand that I didn't get a hit on with a google search years ago, but seems the internet has grown and this time I did.

It was a Ruby 38 Special.... and a little digging it was Llama-Gabilondo gun and basically was just a revolver modeled off the most popular American Smith & Wesson's Model 10. It was in great shape except for one small screw that broke the head off (not needed).

It had simpler take down than the S&W (less complicated guts).... I like it. @txradioguy

@Sighlass

My .38 special and my 1911 are Rock Island Armory pieces.  They are directly modeled after the Colt Detective Special and the greatest creation of John Browning's long career.  Both solid guns both spit out whatever I feed them.

Since I've been back from Europe and really immersed myself in guns I've discovered that name brands don't always mean a better product.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:38 am »
@Sighlass

My .38 special and my 1911 are Rock Island Armory pieces.  They are directly modeled after the Colt Detective Special and the greatest creation of John Browning's long career.  Both solid guns both spit out whatever I feed them.

@txradioguy

As much as I live the 1911 (I own 4 of them), I am going to have to argue with that and introduce Ma Deuce for that title,with special mention of the water-cooled A6 30 cal.

When Ma Deuce speaks,EVERYBODY listens.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 01:27:09 am »

When Ma Deuce speaks,EVERYBODY listens.

That's very true.  And they are sooo sweet to fire.