Author Topic: Marine Corps’ first female ground combat battalion commander reflects on her historic role  (Read 234 times)

rangerrebew

Marine Corps’ first female ground combat battalion commander reflects on her historic role

By Erika I. Ritchie | eritchie@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: July 3, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. | UPDATED: July 3, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.

As a young combat engineer officer, Michelle Macander was part of the U.S. Marines’ push into Iraq in 2003.

Then a first lieutenant with the Marine Wing Support Squadron 372 at Camp Pendleton, she oversaw a platoon building a base camp in Kuwait that then pushed into Iraq repairing runways and airfields so American planes could land safely.

Lt. Col. Michelle Macander salutes Major General Robert F. Castellvi during a ceremony at Camp Pendleton on Friday, December 21, 2018. Espinoza and five other Marines helped save the life of a Riverside motorcyclist after they were the first to come across the accident returning from a camping trip in Big Bear. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

Now a lieutenant colonel, Macander recalled one of her first missions there.

“There was a runway with six 50-foot craters,” she said. “We compacted it down and I certified it to land the first KC-130. I stood on a Humvee’s roof, hoping it would land. And it did.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/03/marine-corps-first-female-ground-combat-battalion-commander-reflects-on-her-historic-role/