Author Topic: NFL players uninterested in sharing the burden of lower revenues  (Read 749 times)

rangerrebew

NFL players uninterested in sharing the burden of lower revenues

Jazz ShawPosted at 8:01 am on July 10, 2020

As with many of the football faithful, I’ve been biding my time throughout the pandemic relatively sure in my belief that the NFL would find a way to pull off the 2020 season for us, even if they had to play in front of empty stadiums or employ an abbreviated schedule with less travel. After all, we’re not talking about the pampered weenies in major league baseball or the NBA here. This is football! It’s the sport where the Monsters of the Midway make the ground quake when they stride across the field. If anyone can get this done, it’s the NFL, right?

Well, it might not be as simple as all that. And the problem isn’t the novel coronavirus, protests or social unrest. The real issue may arise from the NFL Players’ Association. The league is already anticipating massive losses in revenue if stadiums aren’t allowed to sell tickets and fill the stands. Advertisers are short on cash also, so they’re not buying as many ads. And people who are out of work and struggling to make their rent aren’t as likely to be shopping for merchandise from their favorite teams. With all that in mind, the league pitched an idea where the players could put 35 percent of their salaries for this season in escrow, just to help keep the lights on. And how did the Players’ Association respond? They literally told them to “kick rocks.” (CBS Boston)

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/07/10/nfl-players-uninterested-sharing-burden-lower-revenues/

rangerrebew

Re: NFL players uninterested in sharing the burden of lower revenues
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 03:16:34 pm »
But the NFL had d*mn well better do whatever the players demand. 0380000

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 03:17:03 pm »
Why would anyone give these sub par IQ oversized overpaid children a single minute of attention this or any football season. If you must, watch college ball. Or go to your local Friday night HS game.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »
Many (most) of them will shout victimhood when the fans fail to show up, when the revenue streams dry up, when the sponsors start to bolt or demand lower advertising fees, when the broadcasters fail to enter bidding wars for broadcast rights, when the owners say they are losing $$$... etc. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 06:52:25 pm »
Many (most) of them will shout victimhood when the fans fail to show up, when the revenue streams dry up, when the sponsors start to bolt or demand lower advertising fees, when the broadcasters fail to enter bidding wars for broadcast rights, when the owners say they are losing $$$... etc.

I'm kinda/sorta on the players side on this. It's not their job to worry about the business end, their job is to play. The owners of the NFL need no sympathy from us.

NFL remains the only sure thing when it comes to television ratings. Add to that the new sources of revenue coming from gambling and internet providers.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:57:27 pm »
I'm kinda/sorta on the players side on this. It's not their job to worry about the business end, their job is to play. The owners of the NFL need no sympathy from us.

NFL remains the only sure thing when it comes to television ratings. Add to that the new sources of revenue coming from gambling and internet providers.

Correct.  The NFL is driven by TV money.  They could go through a season of not selling a single stadium ticket, and would still make a profit at the end of the year.  So no, the NFL has no interest in supporting local workers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 07:38:38 pm »
A perspective and an opinion.
Football as is Boxing, is a sport and like Chess, each is a game. Therefore, so what?
Yet for some, a game is a life and death event. Hmm.............beyond ridiculous!
More College Conferences are closing their doors to all sports as every day passes,
as they grasp that this plague is persisting, if not strengthening.
Betting here is this reality will overwhelm Pro Football and as a consequence there
will be NO SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! But guess what?
Life will persist as there are infinitely more important things than PRO FOOTBALL!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:57 pm »
There aren't too many pleasurable side notes on this pandemic, but seeing spoiled greedy professional athletes suffer might qualify.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 09:28:49 pm »
Betting here is this reality will overwhelm Pro Football and as a consequence there
will be NO SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! But guess what?
Life will persist as there are infinitely more important things than PRO FOOTBALL!

SEC Football is another matter entirely.  There will be riots unheard of since the days of secession all across the Deep South if there is no SEC football.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 09:32:40 pm »
SEC Football is another matter entirely.  There will be riots unheard of since the days of secession all across the Deep South if there is no SEC football.

Right now, I can not for the life of me picture a fall Texas night without High School Football. This is Twilight Zone stuff.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 09:52:14 pm »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 11:26:50 pm »
Right now, I can not for the life of me picture a fall Texas night without High School Football. This is Twilight Zone stuff.
It's obscene.

They played football in 1918. They played baseball in 1918—and 1919. The only sporting event of note that got canceled was the 1919 Cup Finals, and that's only because the flu hit a huge chunk of the losing team and the winning team refused to accept the Cup on those terms.

This "cancel everything" movement is proving to be utterly ineffective at stopping the spread. Give us SOME form of American sports back, PLEASE.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 11:30:09 pm »

That name is offensive to me.  TOO AGGRESSIVE AND SCARY.  Not nice to the cats.   MO-JO?  Not my English language. 
snark.