Author Topic: US Navy orders General Dynamics NASSCO to stop work after small fire on USS Kearsarge  (Read 260 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Defense News 7/18/2020

A rapidly extinguished fire aboard the amphibious assault ship Kearsarge prompted the Navy to issue a “stop work order” Friday to General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard in Norfolk, Naval Sea Systems Command told Defense News Saturday.

The incident started when a spark from welding landed on nearby material, which was then quickly put out by the fire watch. Fire watch is a sailor or contractor who stands nearby with a fire hose and/or extinguisher to stop a larger blaze in its tracks.

In a statement, Naval Sea Systems Command spokesman Rory O’Connor said the “stop work” was to ensure the company followed fire safety protocols.

“On July 17, the Navy was informed of a fire aboard USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), currently conducting a Selected Restricted Availability at General Dynamics NASSCO – Norfolk,” O’Connor said.

“The fire was quickly extinguished by the fire watch and resulted in minimal damage. In response to this incident, the Navy has issued a stop work order for all ships in maintenance availabilities at GD NASSCO Norfolk to ensure compliance with all established fire protocols and procedures.”

More: https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/07/18/us-navy-orders-to-general-dynamics-nassco-to-stop-work-after-fire-on-uss-kearsarge/

Once when I was on the Lex, I went back to our compartment, and saw a fire watch there. Our compartment was right under the last arresting gear cable( a very noisy place to be during flight ops). He said they were welding on the Flight Deck. In a little bit I saw smoke come from the overhead just above a cable tray. He took his CO2 extinguisher and stuck the horn into that mess of cables and gave it a blast. Well he got blasted too, down to the deck.  A good example why they say to always have your hand only on the handle and not on the plastic horn. Apparently that cold CO2 froze all the moisture on and in those electrical cables and the horn itself and it completed a path from who knows which cable thru his stupid body.

He was fine. He just learned a lesson the hard way.