Author Topic: Trump threatens to veto defense spending bill if it requires renaming bases honoring Confederate gen  (Read 2197 times)

Offline skeeter

Surprise!  And all you who say I never support the President don't forget this.  I agree with you @roamer_1 100%  And I support Trump in vetoing this bill 100%.  I think that Trump will lose many of his senior voters if he caves to BLM.  The Republican party has gone crazy.  We would have never thought of erasing our history in America because a band of extremists were demanding it.

And I might be able to change my mind if the people of our military were the ones to decide.  If and internal Military vote was conducted and the men and women who serve decided.
:thumbsup:

... except no one gets to erase our history, both good and bad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:24:07 pm by skeeter »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The dems are eventually going to insist we remove every monument to dead white people.  Since the monuments are located in dem cities, they may succeed.  I hope you are prepared to defend some complicated men who nevertheless accomplished great things in their time.

I am perfectly willing to defend Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and other "complicated men".   But renaming military bases strikes me as reasonable symbolism in the spirit of reconciliation.   I could give a rat's patoot about continuing to honor Confederate generals,  especially over 150 years after the end of the Civil War.  Especially if the Dems are handed a weapon by the President's veto. 

The People will stand by the President in defending the Founders.  We must pick the battles we can reasonably expect to win.   And I am sick and tired of the President catering to the idiot members of his base while screwing over his chances with those who will actually decide this election.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online roamer_1

I could give a rat's patoot about continuing to honor Confederate generals,  especially over 150 years after the end of the Civil War.     

Riiight. So cave to the left and pay damages against what happened 150 years ago.
Same damn thing. It seems to just fit your personal sensibilities better.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
First off, since our Congress is no longer functioning as they should, I think the time has come for certain decisions that affect the entire nation, they should be decided via referendum.

Case in point:  ABORTION have a national referendum on ABORTION, versus leaving it in the hands of nine very political Supreme Court (in)justices.  Chief Justice John Roberts is a political whore and not honoring his role as a judge of the Supreme Court, and Congress is worse!

To the subject of monuments versus military base names, I do not lump them in the same bucket.  They are not the same.  I think most people pass a monument and pay it little to no mind.  I am sure if you had questioned passers by on Gen Pike's statue before the rukus, 99% of the people would not know who it was, who he fought for, etc.

But regarding active military bases, establishments that train our military to represent this country, I do not accept confederate names for these bases.  I am a conservative, and while it is not something I lose sleep over, I think it makes sense to rename these bases after true heroes of this country.  We have two men that have won two Medals of Honor each.  Start with them, and then move to the highest decorated men from each war, and establish a format that we name facilities after our heroes of this nation, and not that of the Confederacy, which one and all were for a period of time, traitors to this great nation.

Online roamer_1

But regarding active military bases, establishments that train our military to represent this country, I do not accept confederate names for these bases.  I am a conservative, and while it is not something I lose sleep over, I think it makes sense to rename these bases after true heroes of this country.  We have two men that have won two Medals of Honor each.  Start with them, and then move to the highest decorated men from each war, and establish a format that we name facilities after our heroes of this nation, and not that of the Confederacy, which one and all were for a period of time, traitors to this great nation.

BULLCRAP.

You want the Confederate South to stand as your brothers, and yet refuse them their heroes ad heritage... There is a reason why all those Southern heroes are kept in memory, from a war that often pitted brother against literal brother. If you don't understand that, you're missing something.

A good portion of our military comes from that heritage, and you would curse their fathers and their honor. A heritage born in military blood. If you are willing to do that, I got nothing for you, and I would question your declaration of conservatism.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
which one and all were for a period of time, traitors to this great nation.

So you are calling a non-slave owning southerner who watched and  fought back against a  foreign invader  who threatens his livelihood, life, and well being a traitor? 

That's all I need to know about you. Please make sure I am not in the same fox hole as you....  You can join the SJW Brigade.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:56:36 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I am perfectly willing to defend Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and other "complicated men".   But renaming military bases strikes me as reasonable symbolism in the spirit of reconciliation.

There is no reconciliation though, what have they caved on in this little bruhaha? Pandering and appeasement will only embolden them further.

Online roamer_1

There is no reconciliation though, what have they caved on in this little bruhaha? Pandering and appeasement will only embolden them further.

Good call - and too easily forgotten. If they get their way, they won't shut up. They will go after more.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Jazzy is so naive to think there is any level of reconcilation that this pandering will fix.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
BULLCRAP.

You want the Confederate South to stand as your brothers, and yet refuse them their heroes ad heritage... There is a reason why all those Southern heroes are kept in memory, from a war that often pitted brother against literal brother. If you don't understand that, you're missing something.

A good portion of our military comes from that heritage, and you would curse their fathers and their honor. A heritage born in military blood. If you are willing to do that, I got nothing for you, and I would question your declaration of conservatism.

Amen @roamer_1   This should be called as what it is Liberal history revisionism.  They have been pulling this crap in public schools for a long time.  Now they want to set the hook.  NO!  This is an important part of our history.  I said to someone the other day if your relatives fought for the Confederate Army you don't dare say it anymore.

I'll tell you what kind of statues we can get rid of here in America.  Its the communist ones.

Communist Statues in the USA
Posted by Editor on June 8, 2017 in Commentary | Comments Off on Communist Statues in the USA

http://www.lawndalenews.com/2017/06/communist-statues-in-the-usa/

https://www.alipac.us/f19/communist-statues-usa-349694/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline aligncare

As a young immigrant in school I enjoyed learning about America’s storied history and they helped me develop strong feelings of patriotism for my country.

But, democrats are using intimidation and threats of violence to achieve what they cannot accomplish through the political process. Americans don’t cotton to threats, is something I also learned from American history.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
A general statement..  To my TBR bretheren who are not seeing eye to eye with me on this issue.

No hard feelings.  It is just genealogy, family history, family pride, southern values and heritage runs deep. I display the CBF to honor those who fought with bravery and valor., not the horrible instituion of slavey.    I am not sure of each of your backgrounds.  But think about it, and put yourselves in my or others shoes here who feel the same......

How would you feel if your heritage was bashed, monuments destroyed, and your ancestors graves turned over and vandalized?

I welcome repsonses......
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:00:35 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Chosen Daughter

A general statement..  To my TBR bretheren who are not seeing eye to eye with me on this issue.

No hard feelings.  It is just genealogy, family history, family pride, southern values and heritage run deep. I display the CBF to honor those who fought with bravery and valor.,    I am not sure of each of your backgrounds.  But think about it, and put yourselves in my or others here who feel the same......

How would you feel if your heritage was bashed, monuments destroyed, and your ancestors graves turned over and vandalized?

It would be horrible.  Good post.  Its hard to believe anyone wouldn't see it that way.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline aligncare

No hard feelings.  It is just genealogy, family history, family pride, southern values and heritage run deep. I display the CBF to honor those who fought with bravery and valor.,    I am not sure of each of your backgrounds.  But think about it, and put yourselves in my or others here who feel the same......

Like I said above, I love America’s history. All of it, including southern tradition.  :patriot:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Catfish wrote:
"Pretty soon we are going to run out of hills..."

The democrat-communist "cultural revolution" should be opposed.
It should be opposed in EVERY situation and confrontation that arises.

The only way Mao's cultural revolution was stopped (in some places) was when the People's Army intervened and shut the Red Guards down, with force applied where necessary. Then it ended.

So it will go here, if we don't nip the bud before it sprouts to big.
The base names should remain unchanged.
All statues should remain standing, and those torn down should be replaced to the status quo.

Offline skeeter

No hard feelings.  It is just genealogy, family history, family pride, southern values and heritage runs deep. I display the CBF to honor those who fought with bravery and valor., not the horrible instituion of slavey.    I am not sure of each of your backgrounds.  But think about it, and put yourselves in my or others shoes here who feel the same......

As someone with an ancestor who made the ultimate sacrifice on the union side I think I understand entirely. Everyone who died in that war was an American.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
As someone with an ancestor who made the ultimate sacrifice on the union side I think I understand entirely. Everyone who died in that war was an American.

Exactly.  :beer:   

All great brave Americans who lived through the worst period in our nation's history.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Preserving the names of military bases named after Confederate leaders does NOT make one a conservative. 

And in terms of facts, we romanticize the Civil War to the extent that all that died for the Confederacy were Americans.  They fought and died for the Confederacy.  While I respect their sacrifice, they were enemies of what some of you are labeling America.

I have no desire to see any statue removed, except the ones that pay homage to the communists, as in the statue of Lenin in Seattle.

And I have zero desire to any form of revision in our history, but I do understand how an active military base being named after a Confederate general would be bothersome to people in our society today.

Fact is, the vast majority of people in the south did not own slaves.  And the efforts today to condemn America for slavery and demand reparations makes zero sense to me.  I heard years ago that the majority of blacks in the USA today are not descended from slaves, that they are descended from free men that came to America or that they came to America in recent years as free men. 

However, those here that consider themselves conservative and are defensive about things like military base name changes better realize what the future holds.  The white population will continue to shrink faster than any demographic in this country through the years ahead.  Do you honestly think these issues improve with time?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
People associate the renaming of bases as part of the same effort that is tearing down statues. They will more likely appreciate the president standing up for tradition.
Agreed! Enough destruction of history.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Preserving the names of military bases named after Confederate leaders does NOT make one a conservative. 

And in terms of facts, we romanticize the Civil War to the extent that all that died for the Confederacy were Americans.  They fought and died for the Confederacy.  While I respect their sacrifice, they were enemies of what some of you are labeling America.

I have no desire to see any statue removed, except the ones that pay homage to the communists, as in the statue of Lenin in Seattle.

And I have zero desire to any form of revision in our history, but I do understand how an active military base being named after a Confederate general would be bothersome to people in our society today.

Fact is, the vast majority of people in the south did not own slaves.  And the efforts today to condemn America for slavery and demand reparations makes zero sense to me.  I heard years ago that the majority of blacks in the USA today are not descended from slaves, that they are descended from free men that came to America or that they came to America in recent years as free men. 

However, those here that consider themselves conservative and are defensive about things like military base name changes better realize what the future holds.  The white population will continue to shrink faster than any demographic in this country through the years ahead.  Do you honestly think these issues improve with time?
Considering Northern armies invaded the South, actively ransacking it and burning what they did not take or actively use, the average Confederate Soldier was likely just defending against that invasion and the wave of destruction that came with it: for their homes and loved ones, just like any of us would do if our home town was invaded or in danger of being invaded. Groveling before a conquering army would not set well with any Southerner's sense of Honor, then or now.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Catfish wrote:
"Pretty soon we are going to run out of hills..."

The democrat-communist "cultural revolution" should be opposed.
It should be opposed in EVERY situation and confrontation that arises.

The only way Mao's cultural revolution was stopped (in some places) was when the People's Army intervened and shut the Red Guards down, with force applied where necessary. Then it ended.

So it will go here, if we don't nip the bud before it sprouts to big.
The base names should remain unchanged.
All statues should remain standing, and those torn down should be replaced to the status quo.
Precisely. Let them put up their own damned statues, on their dime, if they think they have something worthy of that, but leave what is alone.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Agreed! Enough destruction of history.

This revisionism is the result of applying today's sensitivities to yesterday's events. It is irrational, anti-intellectual. Once allowed in one instance this madness will eventually spread everywhere.

Removing our roots in the past allows the left to redefine the nation in any way they wish. Which of course is the goal here.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This revisionism is the result of applying today's sensitivities to yesterday's events. It is irrational, anti-intellectual. Once allowed in one instance this madness will eventually spread everywhere.

Removing our roots in the past allows the left to redefine the nation in any way they wish. Which of course is the goal here.

Exactly what it is, and Republicans are leading the way.  Republicans are like dogs on a leash they go which ever way they think the liberals are leading them.

Offline aligncare

Exactly. We were founded on the principle that all men are created equal (in God’s eye and under law). But, why is that remarkable? Because of the historical context in which this American idea emerged. It was revolutionary at the time.

So what explains today? Well, one word: Democrats. You know the rest.

Offline skeeter

Exactly what it is, and Republicans are leading the way.  Republicans are like dogs on a leash they go which ever way they think the liberals are leading them.

True, sadly. They aren't cowards - with a few exceptions they are co-conspirators disguised as the opposition.