Author Topic: Trump threatens to veto defense spending bill if it requires renaming bases honoring Confederate gen  (Read 2199 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump threatens to veto defense spending bill if it requires renaming bases honoring Confederate generals
by Mike Brest, Breaking News Reporter |
 | July 01, 2020 08:26 AM

President Trump threatened to veto the upcoming defense spending bill if it includes a provision that would require the government to rename bases that honor Confederate generals.

Trump issued his threat regarding the amendment from Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren on social media late Tuesday night.

"I will Veto the Defense Authorization Bill if the Elizabeth 'Pocahontas' Warren (of all people!) Amendment, which will lead to the renaming (plus other bad things!) of Fort Bragg, Fort Robert E. Lee, and many other Military Bases from which we won Two World Wars, is in the Bill!" he said without specifying what "other bad things" were included in the proposal.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-threatens-to-veto-defense-spending-bill-if-it-requires-renaming-bases-honoring-confederate-generals
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
Good Lord, 45. Read the damn room.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline FeelNoPain

Trump threatens to veto defense spending bill if it requires renaming bases honoring Confederate generals
by Mike Brest, Breaking News Reporter |
 | July 01, 2020 08:26 AM

President Trump threatened to veto the upcoming defense spending bill if it includes a provision that would require the government to rename bases that honor Confederate generals.

Seriously, why give the Left this issue?

If he has to stick his nose in this issue (instead of deferring to DOD), wouldn't Trump be better served by pushing to rename the bases after a Pat Tillman, a Robert Gould Shaw/the 54th, A Tuskegee Airman, etc and saying, "it's time to honor Americans from all walks of life who have sacrificed for our great country, not raised arms against it."
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
This would be a very stupid move,  handing the Dems a weapon on a silver platter to keep flogging the white supremacy meme.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

If he has to stick his nose in this issue (instead of deferring to DOD), wouldn't Trump be better served by pushing to rename the bases after a Pat Tillman, a Robert Gould Shaw/the 54th, A Tuskegee Airman, etc and saying, "it's time to honor Americans from all walks of life who have sacrificed for our great country, not raised arms against it."

Great post.

Offline skeeter

People associate the renaming of bases as part of the same effort that is tearing down statues. They will more likely appreciate the president standing up for tradition.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

I see you are for appeasement and captiulation.  Got cha pinned bubba.

Think it will stop there?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

This would be a very stupid move,  handing the Dems a weapon on a silver platter to keep flogging the white supremacy meme.

Do you really think many people associate the names Ft Hood or Ft Bragg with white supremacy?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Do you really think many people associate the names Ft Hood or Ft Bragg with white supremacy?

Even some briefers have succumbed to the MSM BLM laden brainwashing. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

Even some briefers have succumbed to the MSM BLM laden brainwashing.

Contrary to what they think people want this sh*t to be stopped cold.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline FeelNoPain

I see you are for appeasement and captiulation.  Got cha pinned bubba.

Think it will stop there?

@catfish1957

Here is the thing, it's not just your history and your tradition. It doesn't belong to any one person or group. What one may regard with nostalgia, pride, and reverence, other Americans regard with pain, revulsion, and horror.

There is no credible argument that I can make for having those bases named after people who killed Americans rather than people who died for the preservation of the United States. None.

It's not "appeasement" and "capitulation" if I simply don't agree with the vehemence of your stance. A question, though. Why is it so important to you that other Americans honor the Confederacy? Why do you care that these statues, flags, names are in the public square instead of in museums or on private property?

As far as where it all stops? Don't know. When I have a problem with it, I'll have a problem with it. I'm not drawing a line in the stand at the Confederacy, though.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Here is the thing, it's not just your history and your tradition. It doesn't belong to any one person or group. What one may regard with nostalgia, pride, and reverence, other Americans regard with pain, revulsion, and horror.

You are kidding right?  Revulson, pain, and horror for shit that took place over 150 years ago?  Well hell, based on your convulted reasoning, I should go bazonkers with the Norman's and thier little foray back in 1066. Hey, and while we are at it, let's destroy all the represented antiquity in Rome for all those who were wronged during their reign of terror 100 b.c - 300 a.d. Your faux outrage is a very telling. Furthermore, why should I have my heritage and what I honor be destroyed.  My confederate ancestors mostly did not have slaves, and where defending their homeland and way of life against a foreign invader. Your faux outrage is a incorrect representation of my ancestors.

There is no credible argument that I can make for having those bases named after people who killed Americans rather than people who died for the preservation of the United States. None.

Hate to tell you, but there have been two different U.S. Congressional Acts that have granted Confederate Soldiers, U.S. veteran status.  Kind of that healing and reconcilation  thing you know  BTW, you think General's Hood, and others actually branded muskets in battle and killed?  You really need to become more familiar with history,. reasoning and details of this tragic period in our country

It's not "appeasement" and "capitulation" if I simply don't agree with the vehemence of your stance. A question, though. Why is it so important to you that other Americans honor the Confederacy? Why do you care that these statues, flags, names are in the public square instead of in museums or on private property?

If you don't understand the improtance of honoring your ancestors, and traditions, I have probably just wasted 10 minutes of my life repsonding to you.  I will remain civil, and just leave it at that.

As far as where it all stops? Don't know. When I have a problem with it, I'll have a problem with it. I'm not drawing a line in the stand at the Confederacy, though.

There in lies the problem of your appeasement.  I know nothing of your heritage, or family history, but I would be really interested how you would respond when your heritage was assaulted.   I mean, Washington, Jefferson, and even abolitonist are under attack.  IMO, you should already be having a problem with it.  Your distain for my heritage, kind of infers complicity.  Sorry, to be that abrupt about it, but your acceptance of the MSM / BLM storyline is kind of sad.   

@FeelNoPain

Offline cato potatoe

People who are afraid of confederate monuments simply have too much time on their hands.  And regardless, they tend to be obnoxious and uneducated.  Why should we give their opinions any more weight than productive members of society?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
People who are afraid of confederate monuments simply have too much time on their hands.  And regardless, they tend to be obnoxious and uneducated.  Why should we give their opinions any more weight than productive members of society?

I'd agree, but it's not just words.  These statues are dropping  all over the country right now like flies

The obnoxious and uneducated are winning. 

Offline skeeter

@catfish1957

Well luckily it ain't your history either.

Think of it as just plain old history.

Offline skeeter

Its a 'first they came for the Jews' kind of thing. Soon there'll be no one else to defend what is important to (the generic) you.

Once allowed to begin it will not end. The least we can do is not accept the far left's premise.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:56:53 pm by skeeter »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

That's not the point.   This is not a political hill to die on.

I understand that southern states were permitted many years ago to ask for federal bases to named for Confederate generals out of a spirit of reconciliation.  On that basis,  I have no objection to keeping the base names.

But to veto defense monies for this reason will hand the Dems, unnecessarily, a weapon that they will exploit in the most cynical way possible.   You don't think their media lackeys will run hard with the white supremacy meme?

Far better to give on this symbolic gesture and gain black votes for the GOP's opportunity agenda.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:39:02 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline skeeter

I understand that southern states were permitted many years ago to ask for federal bases to named for Confederate generals out of a spirit of reconciliation.  On that basis,  I have objection to keeping the base names.

But to veto defense monies for this reason will hand the Dems, unnecessarily, a weapon that they will exploit in the most cynical way possible.    It is an utterly stupid move.

And I believe the result will be precisely the opposite. Americans want this totalitarian revisionist bullsh*t ended, not acceded to.

Trump already has a record of accomplishments that actually mean something substantial to the black community.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:32:13 pm by skeeter »

Offline FeelNoPain

@FeelNoPain

You are kidding right?  Revulson, pain, and horror for shit that took place over 150 years ago? 

Nostalgia, pride, and reverence for shit that took place over 150 years ago? Abstract nouns, one and all.

@FeelNoPain

Well hell, based on your convulted reasoning, I should go bazonkers with the Norman's and thier little foray back in 1066. Hey, and while we are at it, let's destroy all the represented antiquity in Rome for all those who were wronged during their reign of terror 100 b.c - 300 a.d.

I'm not wise enough to see the correlation. I don't see the relevance with those events and people who took up arms against the United States.

@FeelNoPain

Your faux outrage is a very telling.

I don't have any outrage. As I told you before, I was born at Fort Bragg and it's name never impacted me. Like I also said, there are 80,621 more pertinent things that I believe black people should be more concerned with than Confederate imagery. Doesn't mean that I am so limited or hidebound that I can't see how others might have a different perspective than me.

@FeelNoPain

Furthermore, why should I have my heritage and what I honor be destroyed. 

I don't let others dictate or destroy what I choose to honor. If I love General Bragg, Stonewall, or Hood, then I'm going to continue to cherish them regardless of whether others agree with me or not. I don't need the government's sanction.

@FeelNoPain
My confederate ancestors mostly did not have slaves, and where defending their homeland and way of life against a foreign invader. Your faux outrage is a incorrect representation of my ancestors.

Regardless of the nobility of their motivation, they fought on the side that ultimately lost. There has been major cultural shift from the emphasis on the need for the spirit of reconciliation, many decades ago, when these honors were bestowed. If current citizens of the side that won would rather honor people on their side, then that is reasonable to me. You disagree. That's cool. 
Also, I don't believe that I drew any conclusion about your ancestors at all. I'm sorry if you believe that I was disparaging or disrespectful.

I do draw a line at the Founding Fathers. However, if England had been victorious, I certainly would understand British citizens not wanting to honor Thomas Jefferson, Madison, et al. If the South had won the WBTS, then I would understand the Confederate citizenry not wanting to honor Sherman, Lincoln, or Grant.

Offline AL

Democrats have always been stupid.  In 1860 the south was all democrat, the north was predominantly republican.  The 1860 census was published in June of 1860, had the south just considered the numbers, they would have never let the war continue.  The north had four times the souths military aged population.  The north had over 110,000 businesses, the south had about 20,000.  The north had over 102,000 acres of farms cultivated, the south had less than 50,000.  The north had 192 firearms manufacturers while the south had 41.  The north had 56 gunpowder manufacturers, the south had 4.  The north had over 11,000 bootmakers, the south, about 1,600.

So, the democrats of 1860 were pretty fu**ing stupid to start something with little chance of winning.  Oh yeah, in case you have ever wondered when fake news began, it goes back to at least 1861, the south was ripe with it.  Library of Congress has a lot of the souths civil war newspapers scanned and on-line.  Fake news seems to be a democrat thing.

A few bases names after some of the confederate generals didn't mean a damned thing when they were named, and still doesn't.  Trump's isn't letting the modern stupid's have their way, good for him.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Pretty soon we are going to run out of hills. 

Offline FeelNoPain

Well luckily it ain't your history either.

Think of it as just plain old history.

I thought I made that clear when I wrote, "It doesn't belong to any one person or group."

And while it's plain old history, it is interpreted differently depending on one's lens. I'm respectful of that.

Offline FeelNoPain

And I believe the result will be precisely the opposite. Americans want this totalitarian revisionist bullsh*t ended, not acceded to.

You could very well be right. So, when those Mississippi legislators, who just overwhelmingly voted to remove the icon from their state flag, are up for re-election, they will pay a price. I do find it difficult that they would be so out of step with their constituency, though.

Trump already has a record of accomplishments that actually mean something substantial to the black community.

So why muddy this record of accomplishment by following up retweeting a video proclaiming "White Power" with such staunch advocacy for the Confederacy? This is what the original thrust of my meager contribution to this thread was about, whether Trump was helping himself politically.

I see a huge shift in Trump's tone from his excellent, scripted, inclusive SOTU. We'll see if he knows what he's doing.