Author Topic: Surgeon general urges widespread mask use: 'It is not a suppression of your freedom'  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Sounds good to me.    I want one with a cat face on it.  Saw a photo of a woman wearing one  while holding her cat.  The face on the mask was of a black and white cat similar to the cat the woman was holding.

Ooh! Yes! I’ve seen cat and dog masks that the profits go to different shelters.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I’m thinking of getting a medieval plague mask. What do you all think?

I don't think it worked that well...I do like the look!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

Scientists tested 14 types of masks — here are the ones that worked and didn’t
By Tamar Lapin
August 9, 2020 | 3:40pm

Bandannas, gaiters and knitted masks are some of the least effective face coverings for preventing the spread of coronavirus, according to a new study.

Researchers at Duke University made the discovery while testing 14 different types of masks, according to the study published Friday.

N95 masks, often used by health care professionals, worked best to stop the transmission of respiratory droplets during regular speech.

Other good performers at stopping leakage were three-layer surgical masks and cotton masks, which can be made at home, the researchers with Duke’s physics department found. ... More at NY Post
 *****rollingeyes*****

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Scientists tested 14 types of masks — here are the ones that worked and didn’t
By Tamar Lapin
August 9, 2020 | 3:40pm

Bandannas, gaiters and knitted masks are some of the least effective face coverings for preventing the spread of coronavirus, according to a new study.

Researchers at Duke University made the discovery while testing 14 different types of masks, according to the study published Friday.

N95 masks, often used by health care professionals, worked best to stop the transmission of respiratory droplets during regular speech.

Other good performers at stopping leakage were three-layer surgical masks and cotton masks, which can be made at home, the researchers with Duke’s physics department found. ... More at NY Post
 *****rollingeyes*****

@mountaineer

The BEST ones stop ALL transmissions going AND coming,AND don't restrict your breathing.

They are the face shields used in machine shops for grinding and cutting steel. Shatterproof thick plastic lenses that flip up and sit more than an inch from your face in the lowered positions. They are open at both the top and the bottom,so there is good air circulation and they don't fog up.

Other manufacturers of welding equipment make quality versions,I just picked a Lincoln because that is what I have. Been using it for years in my workshop and while working in the yard cutting grass or brush with a weedwhacker. Beats the hell out of having stuff like briars thrown in your face.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=lincoln+face+shield
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

Well, I have two reusable face masks that are cotton and Lycra (the Lycra is in the elastic bands that go over the ears).  Then someone gave me a box of disposable face masks -- not sure what they are made of -- paper?  I doubt either type of mask wards off COVID.  Doubt any of them other than maybe the N95 masks do.  But wearing some sort of mask is required if I want to enter any business or just about any other public place.  And my wearing one makes others feel safe.  So I wear a mask for others, not for myself. 

Offline mountaineer

I  made a three layer cloth mask, and intentionally sewed it so it would fit loosely. It is required for the grocery store, church and other places I need to enter. It doesn't protect me or any other person from the virus. We are living in a $&*! Fantasy land.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I  made a three layer cloth mask, and intentionally sewed it so it would fit loosely. It is required for the grocery store, church and other places I need to enter. It doesn't protect me or any other person from the virus. We are living in a $&*! Fantasy land.

Yep!  Your mask is every bit as effective as any of the others in protecting anyone from a virus.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well, I have two reusable face masks that are cotton and Lycra (the Lycra is in the elastic bands that go over the ears).  Then someone gave me a box of disposable face masks -- not sure what they are made of -- paper?  I doubt either type of mask wards off COVID. Doubt any of them other than maybe the N95 masks do.

@Applewood

The N95 masks have N95 clearly stamped on them.

But wearing some sort of mask is required if I want to enter any business or just about any other public place.  And my wearing one makes others feel safe.  So I wear a mask for others, not for myself.

So does everyone else,whether they realize it or not.

I wear my face shield for two reasons. One is as a courtesy to others,and the other is I just got tired of explaining to pushy strangers that I was exempt from being required to wear a mask because I have COPD.

Life is just more pleasant for both me and others if I wear it,so I wear it.

Offline Applewood

Fantasy land?  More like a dystopia. 

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

The N95 masks have N95 clearly stamped on them.

Yeah, I know.  They are as scarce as hen's teeth, at least around here, so I couldn't get an N95 mask even if I wanted to.  And I would rather they be available for the medical people and others "on the front lines" than for myself.

So does everyone else, whether they realize it or not.

I wear my face shield for two reasons. One is as a courtesy to others, and the other is I just got tired of explaining to pushy strangers that I was exempt from being required to wear a mask because I have COPD.

Life is just more pleasant for both me and others if I wear it,so I wear it.

Then a face shield is a good idea for you.  Me?  I said this before.  I draw the line at masks.  I refuse to look like a character from Star Wars or Star Trek.    There are "experts" who actually say we should wear both.  Ummmmmmmm....NO!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah, I know.  They are as scarce as hen's teeth, at least around here, so I couldn't get an N95 mask even if I wanted to.  And I would rather they be available for the medical people and others "on the front lines" than for myself.

@Applewood

I found several  of them in my shop when this whole thing started,and just gave them to a local doctor's office. They couldn't find any to buy,even when they were going to for 75+ bucks a pop,and I figured they needed them more than I did.

Then a face shield is a good idea for you.

Oh,yeah.They don't restrict my breathing at all,and even stop "splatter" from other people's coughing or sneezing from reaching me. Has a nice,comfortable padded adjustable headband,so it's no bother at all to wear.

Offline DB

Then a face shield is a good idea for you.  Me?  I said this before.  I draw the line at masks.  I refuse to look like a character from Star Wars or Star Trek.    There are "experts" who actually say we should wear both.  Ummmmmmmm....NO!

I don't know that I'd trust ones printed with "N95" in the current state of things. Easy to add the stamp and sell it for more. I have no doubt the Chinese have already done so. Who's going to test it to prove that it is N95 capable...

Offline aligncare

Yep. It’s security theater for the gullible. “Let’s all pretend” like children at play.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
"Wear a face covering when you go out in public. It is not an inconvenience. It is not a suppression of your freedom. It actually Is a vehicle to achieve our goals," Adams said during a briefing with members of the White House coronavirus task force.

My ass it's not about suppression.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:48:21 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't think it worked that well...I do like the look!

@Cyber Liberty @Gefn dude walked into my local Walmart wearing one the other day.  Saw him as I was leaving.  He was getting some weird looks.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yep!  Your mask is every bit as effective as any of the others in protecting anyone from a virus.
I wear masks intermittently to protect myself from Karens with the vapors. That is all I really expect the mask to do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

I don't know that I'd trust ones printed with "N95" in the current state of things. Easy to add the stamp and sell it for more. I have no doubt the Chinese have already done so. Who's going to test it to prove that it is N95 capable...
@DB

I have said before that I already had a box of 20 N95s, box of 50 surgical masks with eye protection, and box of 25 face shields.  I had those due to being an EMT and also because I am a prepper.  I didn't need to have those due to being an EMT, but I could get them a few years ago, and my prepper mind told me to have them.  I have given away 8 of the N95s, 4 each to two older couples plus some of the other ones to them.

N95 is stamped as such on the lower half of the mask along with 3M, the company that made them, and a bunch of numbers identifying the batch. 

Had to go to dentist this past week due to a TMJ problem on left side of face.  Answered their questions on the phone about had I left the country or been close to anyone who had the virus.  I printed the forms off their website and had those filled out when I went there.

When there, had to sit in car and call them.  A woman came to get me; she took my temp while still in the car.  I was wearing a N95.  She took me inside straight to a patient room, not the lobby.
When dentist and she came in, off went the mask.  They began to examine inside my mouth and left side of face, naturally they were close to me with their hands on me.  I don't think I could be them and do that.  Talk about up close and personal... in a pandemic...

Offline mountaineer

I'm happy to report I just had to run into town to get some paint at the hardware store. Nobody there was wearing a mask.  :silly:

Offline DB

@DB

I have said before that I already had a box of 20 N95s, box of 50 surgical masks with eye protection, and box of 25 face shields.  I had those due to being an EMT and also because I am a prepper.  I didn't need to have those due to being an EMT, but I could get them a few years ago, and my prepper mind told me to have them.  I have given away 8 of the N95s, 4 each to two older couples plus some of the other ones to them.

N95 is stamped as such on the lower half of the mask along with 3M, the company that made them, and a bunch of numbers identifying the batch. 

Had to go to dentist this past week due to a TMJ problem on left side of face.  Answered their questions on the phone about had I left the country or been close to anyone who had the virus.  I printed the forms off their website and had those filled out when I went there.

When there, had to sit in car and call them.  A woman came to get me; she took my temp while still in the car.  I was wearing a N95.  She took me inside straight to a patient room, not the lobby.
When dentist and she came in, off went the mask.  They began to examine inside my mouth and left side of face, naturally they were close to me with their hands on me.  I don't think I could be them and do that.  Talk about up close and personal... in a pandemic...

I had 80 N95 masks from before all this started so I was lucky. They were also 3M. My dentist had patients wash their mouth with mouthwash when first brought into the room along with taking my temperature...

I would bet a good number of N95 masks being sold these days are counterfeit.

Offline aligncare

I'm happy to report I just had to run into town to get some paint at the hardware store. Nobody there was wearing a mask.  :silly:

I live in a largely Asian and LIV (low information voter) neighborhood. Masks are all I ever see; people  driving in cars, while jogging, shopping in stores, exercising in parks, walking along empty streets, all with masks on.

This is insane.

Online roamer_1

The BEST ones stop ALL transmissions going AND coming,AND don't restrict your breathing.

They are the face shields used in machine shops for grinding and cutting steel. Shatterproof thick plastic lenses that flip up and sit more than an inch from your face in the lowered positions. They are open at both the top and the bottom,so there is good air circulation and they don't fog up.

You know that's nonsense, right @sneakypete ? You are seeing 'transmission' as directional - It's not. Well some small fraction is...  a cough or a sneeze. alright.  But the most of it is wafting and roiling, to include what happens as the sneeze loses it's force. More like smoke. Go walk through smoke - That's how protected you are. And that's how protected mask wearers are too... A respirator is just starting to have a reasonable effect as a filter. Everything less is a pacifier, having no real effect at all.

Online roamer_1

Absolutely right.

Online roamer_1

I had 80 N95 masks from before all this started so I was lucky. They were also 3M. My dentist had patients wash their mouth with mouthwash when first brought into the room along with taking my temperature...

I would bet a good number of N95 masks being sold these days are counterfeit.

Actually, there are plenty that exceed N95. N95 is a standard. A goofy ass standard depicting a particular particulate filtering capacity. All it's there for is to make the mask 'medical' and worth 5x the money that many REAL masks used in poor environments meet or exceed. 3Ms vaunted N95 is a direct knock-off of their light-duty construction respirator - the only difference being the color and the 'N95' logo.

Offline Victoria33

I had 80 N95 masks from before all this started so I was lucky. They were also 3M. My dentist had patients wash their mouth with mouthwash when first brought into the room along with taking my temperature...  I would bet a good number of N95 masks being sold these days are counterfeit.
@DB

I agree - there are so many bad people, I'm sure some have made fate N95s.
I forgot to mention the dentist's office also had me rinse mouth for 30 seconds with Listerine mouthwash.

I also didn't say, but it is true, it is hard to breathe a long time with an N95 on because it fits so securely, and in this Texas heat of 100 degrees, it is double hard to breathe, and  sweat pours off my face.

Because I am elderly, likely older than anyone here, I am vulnerable to the disease so I don't go where people are, except to doctors when necessary. 

Don't say anything bad about Amazon - that is the way I get what I need; I amble down their streets and go into many of their stores - that is my escape from the sameness of this house.   :beer: