Author Topic: Remington’s Rumored Sale To Navajo Nation Could Spell Big Changes For Company  (Read 3736 times)

Offline skeeter

It would be interesting to see how a "sovereign" like the Navajo Nation gets dealt with as an arms manufacturer.  What are the implications for the 2nd Amendment?
I wonder. It’d be worth a trip to the nearest res for an AR suppressor and some 30rd magazines. And an afternoon of Keno.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
“It intended to shift the company [Remington] away from its consumer business, including curtailing the sale of AR-15-style weapons frequently used in mass shootings, to focus on police and defense contracts,” Sorkin said in the article. “The tribe planned to use the profits from those businesses to invest in research and development of advanced ‘smart guns’ — those with fingerprint or other technology intended to prevent anyone but the gun’s owner from using the weapon.”

I predict that the Navajo Nation will quickly rethink that strategy or will be spending time in Bankruptcy Court in the not to distant future. What's their next big business move buying a distillery and transitioning it to non alcoholic Whiskey?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
“It intended to shift the company [Remington] away from its consumer business, including curtailing the sale of AR-15-style weapons frequently used in mass shootings, to focus on police and defense contracts,” Sorkin said in the article. “The tribe planned to use the profits from those businesses to invest in research and development of advanced ‘smart guns’ — those with fingerprint or other technology intended to prevent anyone but the gun’s owner from using the weapon.”

I predict that the Navajo Nation will quickly rethink that strategy or will be spending time in Bankruptcy Court in the not to distant future. What's their next big business move buying a distillery and transitioning it to non alcoholic Whiskey?

@GtHawk

I'm not so sure of that. I didn't even know Remington made AR's.

I do know they made some mighty fine rifles and shotguns,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@GtHawk

@sneakypete
Money quote: “It intended to shift the company [Remington] away from its consumer business, including curtailing the sale of AR-15-style weapons"

Note it doesn't limit it to the AR-15 platform it includes it in it's shift away from consumer business. Sure cut the throat of your bread and butter clientele, because of course you can replace it with government entities. :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

I wonder. It’d be worth a trip to the nearest res for an AR suppressor and some 30rd magazines. And an afternoon of Keno.

Heck, I could easy be back by lunch.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
Money quote: “It intended to shift the company [Remington] away from its consumer business, including curtailing the sale of AR-15-style weapons"

Note it doesn't limit it to the AR-15 platform it includes it in it's shift away from consumer business. Sure cut the throat of your bread and butter clientele, because of course you can replace it with government entities. :shrug:

@GtHawk

HEY! If you can't trust the gooberment,who CAN you trust,right?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@roamer_1   @skeeter

I can see how suppressors would be an excellent and practical addition to a hunting rifle.

Hell,in some European countries,they are mandatory on hunting rifles.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1   @skeeter

I can see how suppressors would be an excellent and practical addition to a hunting rifle.

Hell,in some European countries,they are mandatory on hunting rifles.

@sneakypete
well yeah - especially since it has to be subsonic to be a 'silencer'. There is going to be a bang just from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.. so the whole thing is pretty stupid. All it is going to do with a normal hunting rifle is deaden the fire, not the travel, saving on ears, no doubt.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

I sure wouldn't want to risk getting nailed for possession of an unregistered NFA item.

Violations of the Act are punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison and forfeiture of all devices or firearms in violation, and the individual's right to own or possess firearms in the future. The Act provides for a penalty of $10,000 for certain violations.[36] A willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax imposed by the Act is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine ($500,000 in the case of a corporation or trust), under the general tax evasion statute.[37] For an individual, the felony fine of $100,000 for tax evasion could be increased to $250,000.[38]

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
well yeah - especially since it has to be subsonic to be a 'silencer'. There is going to be a bang just from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.. so the whole thing is pretty stupid. All it is going to do with a normal hunting rifle is deaden the fire, not the travel, saving on ears, no doubt.

@roamer_1

That was true in my time,but not anymore. The technology has really advanced in that area. Not sure how much of it is available on the civilian market,but full-power loads are the rule of the day,today.

Probably not with pistols because an effective one would add so much length to the pistol you might as well carry a carbine.

I avoided that problem in the 60's by putting a suppressor on a M-3 Grease gun. Full-power 45 ACP ball ammo is all subsonic.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Roundhill Group purchases Remington Arms’ Ilion plant

My Little Falls Oct 2, 2020

https://mylittlefalls.com/roundhill-group-purchases-remington-arms-ilion-plant/

Good news.  Sounds like the Injuns were planning to run Remington into the politically correct ground.  Roundtree running things is the equivalent of putting the Car Guys back in charge at the car manufacturing companies.  The Big Three carmakers almost didn't survive having Business Administration grads in charge.  Motorola was killed outright, when a Galvin who wasn't an Engineer took over as CEO.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good news.  Sounds like the Injuns were planning to run Remington into the politically correct ground.  Roundtree running things is the equivalent of putting the Car Guys back in charge at the car manufacturing companies.  The Big Three carmakers almost didn't survive having Business Administration grads in charge.  Motorola was killed outright, when a Galvin who wasn't an Engineer took over as CEO.

@Cyber Liberty

The problem with Biz management majors is they are nothing but lawyers with business degrees,and they see EVERYTHING in the light of immediate returns. They see everything in the light of "THIS quarters returns",with no thought at all of next quarter,never mind next year.

Anal toads,not visionaries. No imagination and no concept of the future.

IMHO,this comes from learning from toads who have never been in business themselves,but know and worship all the trending theories.

Business is really simple basics. Produce something people want to buy,and sell it for a profit,take that money,and repeat by investing your profits after expenses right back in to the business,not in buying stocks and bonds in other companies and let yours get stagnant.

These are the same cretins that think making a profit from breaking up a company and selling off it's assets is a GOOD thing because it makes their yearly profit numbers go up.

And,of course,they invariably have a clause in their contracts that gives THEM yearly bonuses based on the numbers at the end of the year,regardless of the source of the numbers.

These people are vultures,and I will never understand why anyone admires them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@GtHawk

Bushmaster.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Bushmaster.

@Smokin Joe

I used to be very familiar with Bushmaster.

Remington bought them out?

Offline Smokin Joe

@sneakypete
momentum=mass times velocity. Slower but heavier will still get the job done.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

I used to be very familiar with Bushmaster.

Remington bought them out?
Bushmaster, Marlin, DPMS, and Remington were all owned by the same outfit, Remington Outdoor Company, along with Barnes Bullets, Advanced Armament, H & R Firearms, Para USA, The Parker Gun, Dakota Arms, Tapco, and Storm Lake Barrels.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Outdoor_Company

C S Lewis

Online Lando Lincoln

Bushmaster, Marlin, DPMS, and Remington were all owned by the same outfit, Remington Outdoor Company, along with Barnes Bullets, Advanced Armament, H & R Firearms, Para USA, The Parker Gun, Dakota Arms, Tapco, and Storm Lake Barrels.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Outdoor_Company

Sturm Ruger has announced they are purchasing the Marlin line from Remington.  Thank goodness. 

https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Smokin Joe

Sturm Ruger has announced they are purchasing the Marlin line from Remington.  Thank goodness. 

https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html
Yes. One of my all time favorite rifles is a Marlin, and it was dead on accurate out of the box.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Please note that what I posted 9/27 was an update to the Navajo/bankruptcy story: Ruger Gets Marlin, Vista Gets Remington Ammo, Franklin Armory Gets Bushmaster, Sierra Gets Barnes

Here's more on the ammunition aspect of this:
Vista Outdoor Wins Bankruptcy Auction for Remington's Ammunition Business
It will bring the historic Remington name into the portfolio alongside the market-leading Federal brand.
Rich Duprey
Sep 29, 2020 at 1:37PM

Vista Outdoor (NYSE:VSTO) has emerged as the winner of an auction for the ammunition assets of bankrupt firearms manufacturer Remington Outdoor, it announced yesterday.

The ammunition and outdoor gear company will pay $81.4 million for Remington's manufacturing facility in Arkansas, its accessories business, and the intellectual property of the ammo business, including the Remington brand and trademarks.  ...
The Motley Fool

Vista owns Federal ammunition. I always figure I'm getting good ammo if I buy Remington, Winchester or Federal.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My first centerfire rifle was the Glenfield 30, an economy Marlin. I learned to expect quarter sized groups from it at 100. Many years later I lucked into a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 when it's owner was short on moola. It too is very accurate. My reloading manuals showed the Marlin to be at a power level 3 out of 4. But I had a friend I hunted often with that had a Rem. rolling block in 45/70 so I limited my loads to level 2, so he could shoot them too. Its my one gun that gets borrowed out more than all the others.

Online Lando Lincoln

I have a Henry .45-70 while my son has the Marlin. My preference?  The Marlin. I much prefer the side loading gate on the Marlin and the barrel is maybe two inches longer.  The Henry is nice, though.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What I've mostly run in my Marlin 1895 is the 300 gr Hornady JHP using around 43gr of IMR-4198.

It would be very similar to this :Steinel 45-70 govt. 300 GR Hornady JHP (High Power)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@GtHawk

They own Bushmaster and DPMS Panther Arms.  Both make their own versions of Eugene Stoner's famous rifle.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
My first centerfire rifle was the Glenfield 30, an economy Marlin. I learned to expect quarter sized groups from it at 100. Many years later I lucked into a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 when it's owner was short on moola. It too is very accurate. My reloading manuals showed the Marlin to be at a power level 3 out of 4. But I had a friend I hunted often with that had a Rem. rolling block in 45/70 so I limited my loads to level 2, so he could shoot them too. Its my one gun that gets borrowed out more than all the others.

I love my Glenfield/Marlin 30 AS I got for Father's day.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I must of been around 13 when I bought my Glenfield at Fed-Mart for around $58. I then picked up a Lee Loader and enough reloading supplies to start out. That was before I went to spend the summer at my grandparents in the country just outside of Grey Ga. I even made some loads using the powder from 3 or 4 .22LR cartridges( I didn't have any Bullseye pdr), with tissue paper filler and 4 #1 buck pellets. Three would be held by the neck and since the 30-30 had such a taper in its shoulder I felt the 4th sitting on the tissue paper right behind the 3 in the neck would be fine too.  They grouped pretty good, I thought. I found a bandolier of M2 AP hanging in a closet. I pulled bullets with pliers, and I knew the powder they used would be too slow for the 30-30. So I didn't measure, I just filled up the 30-30 case with that -06 power and tapped out enough to seat one of those AP bullets just to the shoulder. I knew to only single load pointy bullets so that's what I did. One of those AP bullets would go right through a pine tree 12 in or so in dia. But it made quite a fireball too. I knew that powder was too slow.

I loved that Glenfield.