Author Topic: The free cookie on second and the bunt  (Read 775 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The free cookie on second and the bunt
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:38:14 pm »
One more argument against: it might tempt too many to start giving outs away again.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/06/26/the-free-cookie-on-second-and-the-bunt/

This is not what a Diamondbacks fan
should want to see if run-productive Ketel
Marte leads off the tenth with the free
cookie on second base to start the inning.

Depending upon where you spend time on social media, you can say that no sooner did the free man on second to open extra innings this year arise than at least two lines of discourse opened. 1) It makes major league baseball resemble the Nursery League. 2) To quote one such denizen directly, “[E]very player will have to learn to bunt.”

To the second came the reply, “I hope they teach them not to bunt foul on the third strike.” So I couldn’t resist with what I’m about to write, especially since it might put a finish to such nonsense as the free cookie on second to start.

I can count on one hand the bunts I’ve absolutely loved but I’d need more than two hands to count the theoretical bunt situations that weren’t, or didn’t stay that way. And, as Keith Law once wrote (in Smart Baseball), “I have yet to meet the fan who bought a ticket to a major league game because she really wanted to see guys drop some sac bunts.”

The two greatest bunts that weren’t happened in the mid-1980s.

When Pete Rose was pressured to figure out a way to save the Tying Knock—the hit where he’d meet Ty Cobb on the all-time hit list—for the home folks, he went up to hit late in a game at Wrigley Field, one swat away, with men on first and second in the top of the ninth in a tie game, the last of the set before Rose’s Reds returned to Cincinnati.

Everyone in the game including then-commissioner Peter Ueberroth thought Rose the manager would send Rose the player up only to pinch hit in that Chicago series. Or, in a situation such as he now faced, you could hear every other Reds fan and their nebulous owner (Marge Schott) at the time screaming “BUNT!” Rarely at a loss, Rose would remember, “I had thirty thousand people yelling here and one lady back in Cincinnati, every time I got a hit, kicking her dog.”

Rose the manager had his Reds eight games out of first place and Dave Parker on deck. With his owner, so many Reds fans, and Joe and Jane Fan elsewhere demanding otherwise, Rose the manager didn’t have to remind Rose the player what 23 seasons of major league experience told him: A sacrifice means the Cubs then putting Parker aboard intentionally to load the pads and leaving the bigger hitting to smaller bats.

So Rose the manager, knowing the Reds had that much better chance to win, told Rose the player to swing. (It would have been mad fun if Rose the manager could have told Rose the player, “I’ll fine your ass ten large if you even think about a bunt.”) That was probably the single most most honourable plate appearance and swinging strikeout of the baseball life Rose ultimately dishonoured.

He still got the Big Knock, passing Cobb, when the Reds went home. He got there in the first place by playing the game right, refusing to bunt because it would have taken the bat out of his best clutch hitter’s hands anyway. If you’re going to lose (the Reds did that night), you don’t just roll over and play dead for the other guys.

A year later, New York Mets relief pitcher Jesse Orosco batted in the bottom of the eighth of Game Seven in the 1986 World Series. Darryl Strawberry opened the inning with a parabolic home run to give the Mets a badly needed insurance run, but a two-run lead against those star-crossed but still-tenacious Boston Red Sox wasn’t quite enough.

“I’ll bet the house,” crooned NBC colour commentator Joe Garagiola as Orosco checked in at the plate. “He’s got to bunt.”

With one out and Mets Ray Knight on second and Rafael Santana on first, the Red Sox played Orosco to bunt and put on the rotation or “wheel” play: corner infielders charging down the base lines, middle infielders charging to cover the corner bases. What happened next made you wonder why nobody else thought of it too often, if at all.

On 1-1 Orosco squared to bunt as Red Sox pitcher Al Nipper kicked to deliver. The wheel play was on. And Orosco pulled his bat back, swung gently, and . . . “Swinging!” hollered play-by-play virtuoso Vin Scully. “And a ground ball into center field! In comes Knight, it is 8-5 Mets, and Joe, you just lost your house!”

Rose and Orosco in different ways testified to the wisdom of refusing to hand the other guys outs on trays and gift-wrapped. (With the DH universal this year, a pitcher bunting is moot for now.) Now, a lot of those otherwise dismayed at the free cookie on second to open an extra inning can’t wait to see some leadoff bunts dropped.

Except that you might be, say, the Milwaukee Brewers going to extra innings, and you might have Christian Yelich due to lead off your half of the tenth. Or, you might be the Houston Astros, and you might have Jose Altuve or Alex Bregman due to lead off the tenth. Or, you might be the Los Angeles Angels, with Mike Trout due to lead off the tenth. Or, you might be the Arizona Diamondbacks, with Ketel Marte to open. Or, you might be the Atlanta Braves, and either Freddie Freeman or Ronald Acuna, Jr. is your scheduled leadoff man.

You’re not going to take the bat out of the hands of those guys and order one of them to take a good loving look at the free cookie on second base and bunt him to third. (Not unless you’ve got someone behind them whom you can trust to deliver the clutch hit—and even then.) If you are, you’d better not be surprised when your bosses want to hang you in effigy, chase you clear across the state line, and then get really mad.

If you’re in the top of the tenth, you want to get ahead as swiftly as possible and with one of those guys leading off you’ve got a better than 50-50 chance of getting the free cookie across the plate and putting another man on base at minimum. At maximum, of course, you’ve got an excellent chance that Yelich, Altuve, Bregman, Trout, Marte, Freeman, or Acuna is going to hit for extra bases, maybe even a two-run homer. Either way, you’ve put the burden on the other guys to tie and win.

If you’re in the bottom of the tenth, you want to win just as swiftly if not more so. Do you still want to take the bats out of the hands of a Yelich, an Altuve, a Bregman, a Trout, a Marte, a Freeman, or an Acuna, and order them to drop a measly bunt when your odds of a game-winning base hit are that much more in your favour with bats like that opening your inning?

OK, you’re foolish enough to want to bunt the cookie to third leading off. Swell. In the bottom of the tenth, you’ve given yourself one less out to work with and your best bat is out of the picture. You might get lucky from there; you might not. In the top of the tenth, maybe a sacrifice fly brings the cookie home but you’ve got only a one-run lead that’s easier to overcome—and, with only one out left to play with, the bases empty and your best bat’s still out of the picture.

Yelich, Altuve, Bregman, Trout, Marte, Freeman, and Acuna might be sitting on the bench scratching their heads if not thirsting for a stiff one over that.

What about the other guys? I’ll guarantee it. If you think about bunting to open with the free cookie on second, be prepared for the other guys’ pitcher being prepared to let you bunt. Be prepared for him making you bunt. Maybe with a big grin on his face. The other guys like gift-wrapped presents, too, you know.

Because that smart a pitcher will throw your opening hitter nothing but something he can only bunt to the third base side, enabling that pitcher to pounce on the ball and throw the cookie out. If your opening hitter doesn’t exactly have enough speed to out-race a cement mixer with a flat tire, be prepared further for Area Code 1-5-3 or, if the third baseman was coming down the line and the shortstop’s moving to cover third, an Area Code 1-6-3.

Brilliant. You just outsmarted yourself into two outs and nobody on.

You think I just brewed that idea alchemically in the dungeon? It’s right out of the book of Casey Stengel, courtesy of his Mets pitcher Al Jackson:

There were men on first and second and you knew the other team wanted to bunt them over. Casey would say, “Here’s what I would do. I would let him bunt. I would throw him a little slider, and I would break toward the third base side, and I would throw his ass out at third.” Casey had the guts to tell you what he’d do in a certain situation when it came up on the ball field.

By the way, Jackson never once allowed men on second to be sacrificed to third.

Giving outs away is unsound baseball as it is. The free cookie on second base to open the extra innings is foolish enough without bringing the bunt back. Under normal circumstances, the only time you ever ought to want to bunt is if your man leads off with nobody on and a) he has speed to burn, it’s one out or less, and he can bunt for a base hit; b) he has a lame infielder (say, Miguel Cabrera) to exploit; or, c) he has a wide-open half infield to play with thanks to a defensive shift.

You give me that extra free space? I’m accepting that gift, with no intention whatsoever of seeking a refund—even when you’re a couple of outs from finishing a no-hitter but I’m only down two or three runs. In that position, I still have a chance to get runs across the plate and win. Why the hell are you giving me a free hit? (If I’m down more than three runs, maybe I don’t even think about it. And maybe you don’t, either.)

If you’re that foolish, you’re paying the penalty. Sure, I respect what your guy’s trying to accomplish, but I also respect that he didn’t pitch his kishkes off just for you to play with fire on his dollar. If my batter sees that yummy wide-open space, and he doesn’t take advantage of it and drop himself a bunt for a free base hit, he’d better have his flight out of the country booked, reserved, and boarding-passed. Because, silly me, I have a job to do too—win.

And I’ve got a future Hall of Famer on my side there. Once upon a time in his life as a Detroit Tiger, Justin Verlander took a perfect game bid into the sixth with one out and a 4-0 lead. Seattle’s Jarrod Dyson dropped a bunt and beat it out for a hit. Tiger Territory screamed blue murder—about Dyson’s bunt more than the three-run rally it launched to help send the Mariners to a 7-5 win. Verlander was more troubled by the three-run rally and eventual loss than he could ever have been about Dyson’s bunt:

It was a perfect bunt. That’s part of his game. I don’t think it was quite too late in the game given the situation to bunt, especially being how it’s a major part of what he does. So I didn’t really have any issues with it. It wasn’t like I got upset about it.

The book of unwritten rules is at least half foolish and maybe more. Just wait until you see someone deciding the unwritten rules include not even thinking about bunting with the free cookie on second base. But you don’t have to play that card to know that that, like too many bunting orders, is the fool’s errand of gifting the other guys precious outs.
--------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@goatprairie
@The Ghost
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The free cookie on second and the bunt
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:24 pm »
Meh.  The Sac Bunt is just another tactic that can work, but carries the risk of a double play and two outs.

I'm more peeved about the pitch-less walks.  But that's just me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:33:29 pm »
Meh.  The Sac Bunt is just another tactic that can work, but carries the risk of a double play and two outs.

I'm more peeved about the pitch-less walks.  But that's just me.
@Cyber Liberty
Tell you the truth, I'm on the fence about the pitch-less intentional walk.

On the one hand---why let the pitcher waste time (and arms) throwing four wide ones when everyone in the ballpark and watching on television knows they'd rather that hitter take his base than their heads off?

On the other hand---why deprive a hitter of the chance to screw the other guys' pooch such as happened here seven years ago, when Miguel Cabrera was still a Marlin . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

And more often than people think, pitchers have thrown intentional-walk pitches past their catchers letting runners move up or score . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 06:59:14 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
Tell you the truth, I'm on the fence about the pitch-less intentional walk.

On the one hand---why let the pitcher waste time (and arms) throwing four wide ones when everyone in the ballpark and watching on television knows they'd rather that hitter take his base than their heads off?

On the other hand---why deprive a hitter of the chance to screw the other guys' pooch such as happened here seven years ago, when Miguel Cabrera was still a Marlin . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

And more often than people think, pitchers have thrown intentional-walk pitches past their catchers letting runners move up or score . . .

And that is precisely why I don't like the pitchless walks.  An intentional walk should carry the risk of a wild pitch or passed ball!  We're now deprived of the opportunity of watching the error, and takes something away from the game.  JMHO.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 07:04:24 pm »
And that is precisely why I don't like the pitchless walks.  An intentional walk should carry the risk of a wild pitch or passed ball!  We're now deprived of the opportunity of watching the error, and takes something away from the game.  JMHO.
@Cyber Liberty
Here's a kind of greatest-hits collection for you, then (it includes the Cabrera hit again but you can feel free to avert your gaze; meanwhile, watch for Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan in the park for one of them) . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
One thing I should have mentioned in my essay---you get that free cookie on second to open the tenth inning, you got Ketel Marte at the plate . . . what's to stop the other guys from putting Marte on to lead off instead of taking the chance of him taking their heads off and maybe leaving you a lesser bat to do the clutch hitting?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 07:17:33 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
One thing I should have mentioned in my essay---you get that free cookie on second to open the tenth inning, you got Ketel Marte at the plate . . . what's to stop the other guys from putting Marte on to lead off instead of taking the chance of him taking their heads off and maybe leaving you a lesser bat to do the clutch hitting?

I am never a fan of free cookies.  That's what's wrong in this country, people seem to enjoy getting free stuff all the time.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 07:18:20 pm »
I am never a fan of free cookies.  That's what's wrong in this country, people seem to enjoy getting free stuff all the time.
And---just as it could if Marte gets put aboard intentionally to lead off with the cookie on second to open (once in a blue moon the spaghetti bat delivers the clutch hit)---it backfires more often than people think.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:20:28 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 07:24:49 pm »
And---just as it could if Marte gets put aboard intentionally to lead off with the cookie on second to open (once in a blue moon the spaghetti bat delivers the clutch hit)---it backfires more often than people think.

That's right.  I like when they get punished for foolish managing, and it backfires on them.  This is the stuff that makes Baseball worth watching.  I like it when a team does the Outfield Shift, only to watch a power-hitter take it to the other side for a double.  That stuff is Golden.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 07:34:41 pm »
That's right.  I like when they get punished for foolish managing, and it backfires on them.  This is the stuff that makes Baseball worth watching.  I like it when a team does the Outfield Shift, only to watch a power-hitter take it to the other side for a double.  That stuff is Golden.
Remember, I hypothesised on the overshift. If you want one great time and real reason to drop a bunt for a free base hit, there it is, if your batter happens to be a road runner and you have the bigger sticks to follow him. If not, he can shoot a cue shot to that free, wide-open side and get himself a two- or three-base hit by the time the fielders re-horse and scramble for that ball.

And there'll be plenty of managers punished for foolish managing if they open extra innings with that cookie on second, have one of their best hitters leading off, and order him to bunt instead of letting him swing away.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:35:27 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 08:03:18 pm »
And there'll be plenty of managers punished for foolish managing if they open extra innings with that cookie on second, have one of their best hitters leading off, and order him to bunt instead of letting him swing away.

I don't see having a "best batter" being ordered to bunt in that situation, but weirder things have happened.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:11 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
You misspoke.   There is nothing except maybe your fifth beer and the ensuing nap that makes baseball worth watching!

:tongue2:
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 08:13:02 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
You misspoke.   There is nothing except maybe your fifth beer and the ensuing nap that makes baseball worth watching!

:tongue2:

That's why I buy my brew by the keg.  This summer, it's taking a long time to go through a "slim" keg (5 gallons).  No baseball to prime the tap.  :beer:

ETA:  5 gallons / 16 oz = 40 pint-sized draws.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:16:05 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 08:23:30 pm »
I don't see having a "best batter" being ordered to bunt in that situation, but weirder things have happened.   :shrug:
Even that can and does happen.

Then there've been players who took on themselves to bunt and with mixed results:

* Once upon a time Casey Stengel fumed when Mickey Mantle bunted with a man on instead of hitting away---and bunted the lead runner into an out. He knew Mantle wasn't being paid to drop bunts.

* Once upon another time, big Dave Kingman---who actually had underrated speed*---decided to pull a surprise with a man on second for the Mets and the other guys playing him to go deep, and he dropped a bunt and beat it out for a base hit and first and third. It was his own idea entirely.

---------------
* - I'm convinced the real secret as to why Kingman became as one-dimensional a player as he became is because, in his early seasons with the Giants, the Giants happened to have such contradictory coaching from so many sources and Kingman---who was known even then to be sensitive and self-critical as it was---literally didn't know which end was up when it came to who wanted what, who suggested what, and what he should or shouldn't do. With those kinds of clashes in his head it should be no wonder that he never really horsed himself properly and became so all-or-nothing a hitter and so lost as a fielder.