Author Topic: Killing Comedy: Chicago Improv Theater Closes After Owner Is Accused Of Racism  (Read 900 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2020/06/23/killing-comedy-chicago-improv-theater-closes-owner-accused-racism/

Killing Comedy: Chicago Improv Theater Closes After Owner Is Accused Of Racism

Comedy has long been a target of woke politics. In Chicago, activists started a petition accusing the owner of the iO Improv Theater of an “individual history of racism.” The petition, which started with five student permormers at the theater, demanded that owner Charna Halpern, “acknowledge the harm this has caused to individuals, communities, and the comedy world as a whole.”

In addition to the blanket apology, the petition demanded Halpern hire an “outside BIPOC Diversity & Inclusion Coordinator.” Actually, the petition didn’t want Halpern to hire her own black and Indigenous people of color (BIPOC) diversity coordinator, it wanted her to let a committee of BIPOC and LGBTQ performers and students make the hiring decision, she just had to pay for it. As a result of these demands, made in the midst of a pandemic when the theater has been closed, the iO Improv Theater is now closing for good. So what exactly was the racism that prompted all of this? The activists won’t say:

Being a bit lazy, I'll just summarize the story. Halpern organized her theater to include a special focus for "nonwhite, LGBT and disabled students" to get training, experience, and exposure. Her accusers are some of her students. She's been doing this for decades, apparently. Based on the accusers' unwillingness to provide details and evidence to support their accusation, it's very probable that one or several of them have some private personal beef that they took out on Halpern with a false accusation. And now they've destroyed her effort and their own - and others' - gateway into the entertainment industry. To me it looks like an example of the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Pretty much. Looks like today's versions of comedians think comedy must not offend anyone.  Good luck.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline The_Reader_David

Looks like today's versions of comedians think comedy must not offend anyone. 

Anyone except Christians; pious Orthodox Jews; people who aren't particularly religious, but have traditional views on sexual morality; rednecks; people living in rural parts of the U.S.; Republicans; . . .
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Anyone except Christians; pious Orthodox Jews; people who aren't particularly religious, but have traditional views on sexual morality; rednecks; people living in rural parts of the U.S.; Republicans; . . .
Yep, all fair game....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Assuming Halpern and her business partner are liberal like most in the entertainment industry, the pathetic part in this is that they've put their $$ and business where their mouth is and have made particular effort to train and boost minorities (in a business that, contrary to their talk, has not been very welcoming of minorities). IOW, help them start careers rather than being dependent on government programs.

I probably would disagree with Halpern about much, but unlike many in her industry she has laced up her work boots (metaphorically) and walked her talk. I can respect that. And now her fellow Libs/Progs have shut her down.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Assuming Halpern and her business partner are liberal like most in the entertainment industry, the pathetic part in this is that they've put their $$ and business where their mouth is and have made particular effort to train and boost minorities (in a business that, contrary to their talk, has not been very welcoming of minorities). IOW, help them start careers rather than being dependent on government programs.

I probably would disagree with Halpern about much, but unlike many in her industry she has laced up her work boots (metaphorically) and walked her talk. I can respect that. And now her fellow Libs/Progs have shut her down.
Libs eat their own. From Trotsky to Che' and beyond, it has ever been so.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis