Author Topic: 6 Reasons Why You Should Carry Defensive Tools in Front of the Hips  (Read 770 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
USA Carry by Salvatore -June 22, 2020

There is nothing new about appendix carry for weaponry. Look at portraits of 16th Century Caribbean pirates, or perhaps Colonial-era commanding officers, and you will see flintlock pistols stuffed in waistbands forward of the hips. Carrying guns in this position was also done quite often in the much-acclaimed Wild West. While all of the cool guys running Glock 19s in wedged AIWB holsters think they are onto something cutting edge, there is nothing new under the sun.

In terms of carrying tools in front of the hips, generally referred to as appendix carry, we most often think of a holstered gun. Still, the advantages that apply to a pistol carried in this manner also apply to any other tool carried forward of the hips. A spare magazine carried appendix, on the support-hand side, will conceal better for most people compared to strong side carry, and it is more accessible to both hands. It is likely faster to access as well if you are wearing a closed front garment. Some folks carry a tourniquet forward of the hips so that it is quickly accessible to either hand. Perhaps not a bad practice, though I admit I carry my tourniquet in a hip pocket.

Beyond my gun, the second tool I typically carry forward of the hips is a small knife, opposite side from my pistol. The benefits of AIWB as they pertain to the gun also apply to the knife. What are the notable advantages of carrying defensive tools forward of the hips? There are several that stand out:

More: https://www.usacarry.com/6-reasons-carry-defensive-tools-front-hips/

Online roamer_1

Re: 6 Reasons Why You Should Carry Defensive Tools in Front of the Hips
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 03:59:14 pm »
USA Carry by Salvatore -June 22, 2020

There is nothing new about appendix carry for weaponry. Look at portraits of 16th Century Caribbean pirates, or perhaps Colonial-era commanding officers, and you will see flintlock pistols stuffed in waistbands forward of the hips. Carrying guns in this position was also done quite often in the much-acclaimed Wild West. While all of the cool guys running Glock 19s in wedged AIWB holsters think they are onto something cutting edge, there is nothing new under the sun.

YEP. Real estate on my gear belt is a serious thing... I can't wear m gun on the right hip, like so many do - Knives are far more important, day to day. The honored right hip is for my bowie, with my camp knife just forward of that, and my multitool and folding saw behind them.

Neither the left hip, which ain't no good anyway, as I ain't particularly left handed... But the left hand hip is for the small forest axe and a possibles pouch.

Turns out the best place I have found for the gun is left-hip-forward, as a cross-draw, in a rocker holster so I can squat fine, and so it always pulls straight out when I need it. It is always ready at hand, can be drawn right or left handed (which is not to be disregarded in an emergency, where one hip or the other may be on the ground and inaccessible, or where the right hand may already be disabled...), Though the left-hand draw is somewhat awkward. And most importantly, it doesn't mess with the things I need more often.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:30:04 pm »
YEP. Real estate on my gear belt is a serious thing... I can't wear m gun on the right hip, like so many do - Knives are far more important, day to day. The honored right hip is for my bowie, with my camp knife just forward of that, and my multitool and folding saw behind them.

Neither the left hip, which ain't no good anyway, as I ain't particularly left handed... But the left hand hip is for the small forest axe and a possibles pouch.

Turns out the best place I have found for the gun is left-hip-forward, as a cross-draw, in a rocker holster so I can squat fine, and so it always pulls straight out when I need it. It is always ready at hand, can be drawn right or left handed (which is not to be disregarded in an emergency, where one hip or the other may be on the ground and inaccessible, or where the right hand may already be disabled...), Though the left-hand draw is somewhat awkward. And most importantly, it doesn't mess with the things I need more often.
I'm not a big fan of having a gun pointed at my boys or femoral arteries, I too prefer a cross draw.

Are any of you familiar with Yankee Marshal's videos? You might find him a tad opinionated :silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4NhIAy1UE
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:52:07 pm by GtHawk »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:32:39 pm »
From the ladies' perspective, I can say that it's more comfortable for me - a right hander - to wear the weaponry a bit in front of the right hip.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 01:53:24 am »
I'm not a big fan of having a gun pointed at my boys or femoral arteries, I too prefer a cross draw.

Naw, it ain't like that... A rocker holster is worn outside and can just tip... The inside lock-out on the rocker leaves the holster at around 20 degrees, and the outside lock-out lets it go to about 45 degrees, which is how it rides, more or less.. So the muzzle is always pointing off my left thigh pretty much at all times. The ability to 'rock' to 20 degrees is so it is not (as) uncomfortable in a squat, and so you can sit alright, but it also aids in the pull, as the holster aligns to whatever angle you are pulling from (within 20-45 degrees)

Ain't real happy with it with the 1911... Liked it better with a cowboy colt. the weight of the barrel kept it more upright, where the 1911 is more balanced, so it tends to flop while walking... I can fix that with a bit more spring load, but won't... I am going back to a peacemaker anyway, so I haven't set it up right yet.

I settled on it because it's better than a shoulder rig, which can get worried up with the pack straps, and is hot, and sucks if you are sweating a lot.

Are any of you familiar with Yankee Marshal's videos? You might find him a tad opinionated :silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4NhIAy1UE

He's right. I never carry appendix.