Author Topic: What police can learn from a former infantry Marine about de-escalation  (Read 216 times)

rangerrebew

What police can learn from a former infantry Marine about de-escalation

'First do no harm' approach, accountability helped service members like me succeed in high-stress situations. Those rules can do the same for police.

Kevin Mott
Opinion contributor

President Donald Trump’s executive order Tuesday outlining incentives for police reform is a welcome gesture, but it's quite unlikely to rectify the tangled conundrum of racism and police brutality that has sparked protests across the country.

Since George Floyd’s death, news feeds have streamed images of police clashing with protesters. The National Guard has been activated in 23 states, and now police officers nationwide are quitting their jobs. 

While I’ve never served as a police officer in this country, I served as a member of America’s armed services. The militarized scenes playing out in Minneapolis, New York and Washington, D.C., look disappointingly like what I remember from a deployment to Afghanistan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2020/06/18/what-police-can-learn-former-infantry-marine-deescalation-column/3206857001/