State Chapters > State Politics/Government

Michigan mayor: 'I will be crucified if I vote against any Black person on a commission'

(1/1)

mystery-ak:
Michigan mayor: 'I will be crucified if I vote against any Black person on a commission'
By Morgan Gstalter - 06/20/20 01:48 PM EDT

A Michigan mayor is facing calls to resign after suggesting that she had to support the reappointment of a Black commissioner despite performance issues because she would be “crucified if I vote against any black person.”

Ypsilanti Mayor Beth Bashert made the comments regarding the reappointment of Ka’Ron Gaines to the city’s Human Relations Commission during a public Zoom meeting on Tuesday, the Ann Arbor News reported.

“Since I will be crucified if I vote against any Black person on a commission, I’m going to vote yes,” Bashert said, without acknowledging alleged absentee issues.

Several members of the council immediately erupted in protest, saying she should make votes based on qualifications.

The motion to reappointment Gaines ultimately failed on a 6-1, with Bashert being the only one to vote "yes."

Councilwoman Nicole Brown requested that Bashert apologize.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/503718-michigan-mayor-i-will-be-crucified-if-i-vote-against-any-black-person-on

PeteS in CA:
Step 1: Embrace snake.

Step 2: Get bit.

Step 3: Cancelled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version