Author Topic: Face Shields May Be Better Than Masks for Coronavirus Protection  (Read 928 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/shields-compared-to-masks.html?cmp=SNO-ICM-FB-COVID-HLTH&socialid=3432276850

by Renée Bacher and Christina Ianzito, AARP, June 15, 2020

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to recommend wearing “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.” But some health experts say shields appear to be very effective at preventing infection — maybe even more effective than masks — for someone going about regular daily activities and not in a high-risk health care setting.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

Re: Face Shields May Be Better Than Masks for Coronavirus Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:23:17 pm »
I've seen those things.  Uh...no...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:37:23 pm »
Nope ain't gonna wear that either  **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:38:16 pm »
How about both?

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 12:37:49 am »
@txradioguy

Before the virus hit, due to being an EMT, I already had a box of N95s, a box of surgical masks with eye protection, and a box of face shields.  The least intrusive is the face shield.  For one thing, you have access to your mouth under the shield.  Going to a large clinic where there were numerous doctors and patients, I did wear an N95 AND a face shield.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 12:46:29 am »
So what would it take for you to take this seriously?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:06:28 am »
How about both?

Doctors and medical techs around here do wear both.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:03:04 am »
All along we have been led around by our noses by the WHO, CDC and so-called experts with their bogus guidelines and advice when none of them know the first thing about this virus. 

I've had enough of them and their BS.  I refuse to look like a character from Star Wars or Star Trek.  They can stick their face shields where the sun doesn't shine.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 03:16:57 am »
All along we have been led around by our noses by the WHO, CDC and so-called experts with their bogus guidelines and advice when none of them know the first thing about this virus. 

I've had enough of them and their BS.  I refuse to look like a character from Star Wars or Star Trek.  They can stick their face shields where the sun doesn't shine.

You are correct the WHO and the CDC have contradicted their comments on the virus numerous times.  Secondly they were very late in getting the word out to the rest of the world and our country when the Chinese virus first broke out.  Why should they be trusted?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 05:44:54 am »
Well the simple fact is if the virus is in the air in tiny moisture droplets the eyes will capture it and pass it into the body regardless of what you cover you mouth and nose with.

I suspect there's very little actual science to backup the claims that a fabric face mask does jack squat to block virtually any virus.

Emotion rules and everyone must conform.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:36:12 pm by DB »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 07:01:42 am »

Nothing. They've outright lied through their teeth.

Too late for that. Any trust I may have had in the government recommendations (which is damn little to start with) was washed away by the pro-riot nonsense they spouted while simultaneously keeping lawful citizens locked down - Both supposedly being just fine and proper.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 11:47:48 am »
WTF? Next they’ll recommend hermetic sealing!

Our immune system is a nearly blank slate at birth and it requires exposure to and sampling of antigens in the environment in order to develop a full array of the antibodies that will protect us from being overwhelmed by even the most normally harmless of organisms.

Microbiologists (professors and researchers) understand better than practicing medical doctors that humans exist, have always existed, in symbiosis with microbes. This balance is a necessary feature of life, it’s not an error in the design and panoply of life. Medical doctors on the other hand are mostly focused on attacking and destroying opportunistic microbes, because it becomes necessary sometimes when they overgrow and natural immunity fails.

But the overuse of antibiotics and the constant sterilization of hands and proximate environment is an impediment to and unhelpful towards developing a robust immune system.

We need to stop with the masks and shields and get back to that system of balance—to get back to life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 12:32:43 pm »
As as retired Safety Health and Environmental manager of a plant.....   

This is about the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard.  These things are only good for specific short term industrial or medical profession applications.
Adding to stupidity of being cumbersome, they can be dangerous if someone fogs one up while just doing routine things.  Man has AARP triple jumped the shark on this one.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 05:26:48 pm »
As as retired Safety Health and Environmental manager of a plant.....   

This is about the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard.  These things are only good for specific short term industrial or medical profession applications.
Adding to stupidity of being cumbersome, they can be dangerous if someone fogs one up while just doing routine things.  Man has AARP triple jumped the shark on this one.

I wear sunglasses -- bright light hurts my eyes.  Can't tell you how many times I've had to stop walking or whatever when my shades fogged up just from the mask.    One of these face shields would be worse.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »

Maybe some actual data that shows this is actually any worse than the flu.  This whole thing has been more political science than medical science from the start.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 08:42:59 pm »
Nothing. They've outright lied through their teeth.

Too late for that. Any trust I may have had in the government recommendations (which is damn little to start with) was washed away by the pro-riot nonsense they spouted while simultaneously keeping lawful citizens locked down - Both supposedly being just fine and proper.

QFT

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 08:44:20 pm »
@txradioguy

Before the virus hit, due to being an EMT, I already had a box of N95s, a box of surgical masks with eye protection, and a box of face shields.  The least intrusive is the face shield.  For one thing, you have access to your mouth under the shield.  Going to a large clinic where there were numerous doctors and patients, I did wear an N95 AND a face shield.

One thing to do it as part of your job.  It's something totally different to have the Federal Government or the state government for that matter forcing you to wear something like that for no good medical or health reason at all.