Author Topic: Slavery Reparations: A Scam in the Trillions  (Read 1195 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Slavery Reparations: A Scam in the Trillions
« on: June 13, 2020, 02:13:16 pm »
Slavery Reparations: A Scam in the Trillions
Carl Horowitz

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 11:36 AM

As dozens of cities crawl from the wreckage of social media-generated rioting against supposedly pervasive white racism and police brutality, self-styled advocates for social justice are retooling a familiar campaign. They’re demanding financial reparations for slavery and its after-effects, payable from whites to blacks, in the trillions of dollars. This would promote equality, atonement and “healing.”   

Don’t believe them. Calls for reparations go back many decades. The core assumption has been the same from the start: Living whites must make amends to living blacks by emptying their pockets, preferably with the federal government overseeing the transfers. That the actual slaves and slave owners are long deceased makes no difference. As advocates see it, all white wealth in this country, if indirectly, is morally tainted, a product of “white skin privilege.”   

Reparations are a turbocharged hybrid of affirmative action and the welfare state. It’s a shakedown from any angle. Far from healing wounds, it will open them. But reparations one day may become law. A bill to that effect first introduced in Congress in 1989 (and reintroduced like clockwork thereafter) by the late Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., H.R. 40, is gradually gaining support. Virtually nobody on Capitol Hill has spoken out against it.

The National Legal and Policy Center recently published a 65-page monograph, “Slavery Reparations: Revival of a Bad Idea,” debunking the growing accepted wisdom. The report is a corrective to emotionally-charged cures prescribed by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Al Sharpton, The New York Times, the Democratic Party and sympathetic corporate executives.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/carlhorowitz/2020/06/12/slavery-reparations-a-scam-in-the-trillions-n2570562
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Slavery Reparations: A Scam in the Trillions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:05:55 am »
I never thought I would see it but yes the same calls from Christianity Today.

Repentance is not enough they say in an address to the Evangelical Church...……

https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/christianity-today-calls-for-reparations-from-churches-repentance-is-not-enough.html

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 04:31:22 am »
How many are aware of this?
We were a colony of Great Britain from 1620 till our nation/state formation
in 1789, a span of some 175 years, w/no power to accept or reject slavery.
In 1863, some 70 years later, Lincoln authored the Emancipation Proclamation
legally abolishing slavery.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 08:29:25 am »
How many are aware of this?
We were a colony of Great Britain from 1620 till our nation/state formation
in 1789, a span of some 175 years, w/no power to accept or reject slavery.
In 1863, some 70 years later, Lincoln authored the Emancipation Proclamation
legally abolishing slavery.
From 1607, actually (Jamestown, VA, and not including the Roanoke Colony which is still missing).
Yankees can't claim everything.

Lincoln did not abolish slavery in the "border states" because they had not formally seceded, and were occupied by Union Forces. Maryland, for instance, did not see abolition until later in 1864, well after the proclamation.

I'm not arguing with the concept that slavery in these United States was of a far more limited duration than the NYT claims. Since when has the NYT got it right, anyway.

I'm all for reparations. Any white person who has owned a black slave should pay that black slave for their work. No digging into the past, because we're talking about the living paying for this.

Oh, wait, there are no legally sanctioned owners or slaves still alive.
Case closed.

So no, not a penny for tribute. I have worked alongside and with blacks and people of widely varied backgrounds, from farm fields to steel plants to the oilfield, and we all sweat together. Those who won't can piss up a rope, they won't get a cent from me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 09:46:21 am »
I'm literally tired of 12% of the population holding the other 88% hostage based on the actions of long dead people working within long dead institutions that still live rent free in the heads of the black community.

They act as if our world must 24/7/365 be oriented to their world view and hanging on their every word for direction on how we must conduct every little aspect of our lives.

We are not a theocracy and I will not bow to exalting a certin skin color into a deity I must worship. It's nothing but an attempt at racial supremacy via politics because they are no longer the dominant minority group.

The black community needs to quit trying dominate the rest of the country and get with the melting pot, or be resigned to the dustbin of history, because I'm done listening and obeying to a small minority stuck in the past.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 11:09:43 pm »
Free Vulcan wrote:
"The black community needs to quit trying dominate the rest of the country and get with the melting pot, or be resigned to the dustbin of history, because I'm done listening and obeying to a small minority stuck in the past."

Glad to see that you're finally reaching where I've been for many years (decades, in fact).

Indeed, I was an early subscriber to American Renaissance (the print edition) 'way back when it first came out. Still have all the issues saved. Somebody's got to do it.

And for all those who claim that AR is a "white supremacist" publication/site, try watching one or two of Jared Taylor's recent videos on Youtube. C'mon, I dare you. His thoughts actually seem more restrained than some of the posted conversations I see right here as of late...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:23 pm »
From 1607, actually (Jamestown, VA, and not including the Roanoke Colony which is still missing).

Lincoln did not abolish slavery in the "border states" because they had not formally seceded, and were occupied by Union Forces. Maryland, for instance, did not see abolition until later in 1864, well after the proclamation.

I'm not arguing with the concept that slavery in these United States was of a far more limited duration than the NYT claims. Since when has the NYT got it right, anyway.

I'm all for reparations. Any white person who has owned a black slave should pay that black slave for their work. No digging into the past, because we're talking about the living paying for this.

Case closed.

So no, not a penny for tribute. I have worked alongside and with blacks and people of widely varied backgrounds, from farm fields to steel plants to the oilfield, and we all sweat together. Those who won't can piss up a rope, they won't get a cent from me.

I look at it this way - if I give you money, what do I get in exchange?

Does this square our account? Will you agree to never bring the subject up again not ask for any special consideration of any kind due to your disadvantaged past or past abuse? Invalidate any legislation reflecting differences in skin color? Leave our statues and monuments alone and allow the rest of the country to respect its own past without complaining?

No? Then stuff your demand for reparations.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:25:36 pm by skeeter »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 11:20:36 pm »
I'm literally tired of 12% of the population holding the other 88% hostage based on the actions of long dead people working within long dead institutions that still live rent free in the heads of the black community.

They act as if our world must 24/7/365 be oriented to their world view and hanging on their every word for direction on how we must conduct every little aspect of our lives.

We are not a theocracy and I will not bow to exalting a certin skin color into a deity I must worship. It's nothing but an attempt at racial supremacy via politics because they are no longer the dominant minority group.

The black community needs to quit trying dominate the rest of the country and get with the melting pot, or be resigned to the dustbin of history, because I'm done listening and obeying to a small minority stuck in the past.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 12:12:31 am »
Oh, wait, there are no legally sanctioned owners or slaves still alive. Case closed.
--------------------------
Smokin, I stand corrected as it was 1607.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 01:47:59 am »
I'm literally tired of 12% of the population holding the other 88% hostage based on the actions of long dead people working within long dead institutions that still live rent free in the heads of the black community. They act as if our world must 24/7/365 be oriented to their world view and hanging on their every word for direction on how we must conduct every little aspect of our lives.
We are not a theocracy and I will not bow to exalting a certain skin color into a deity I must worship. It's nothing but an attempt at racial supremacy via politics because they are no longer the dominant minority group.
----------------------------
Speaking of long dead people and long dead institutions; it would be interesting to observe
the face of Al Sharpton as he was being read the following narrative from history:
Slavery existed in the known world some 9,000 years ago, becoming pervasive most prominently
in Africa, where Tribal Warfare was chronic and continuous (until British, Belgian, French and Portuguese Colonists arrived in the 19th century).
For centuries, defeated tribesmen were summarily executed, until Tribal Chieftains realized that a marketplace existed for these captives. Hence the slave trade was born, initially in the markets of Jeddah in the Western Hejaz (Saudi Arabia).
Over centuries African slavery became an economic force across the Middle East as well as in North
America (our South), the Caribbean and Latin America.
Home truth is direct and simple. African Slavery has countless Fathers, therefore assigning
paternity/responsibility and looking for a handout, is a Fool's Errand.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 02:12:49 am »

Thanks, as a direct descendant of 400+ years of Virginians.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 02:37:02 am »

Repentance is not enough they say in an address to the Evangelical Church...……

Actually I'm not surprised; the church seems as likely to find its meaning in being "woke" as in The Holy Spirit.

Ezekiel 18

18 As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.

19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

The economic conditions of black people in America were, in relative terms, much stronger immediately before LBJ's Great Society than they are today.  The time for reparations because of slavery and Jim Crow is long passed; if reparations are due today, in Biblical terms they are due from those who are accountable for the decline in black people's relative status over the last 50 years.

James 1:20

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 02:55:15 am »
----------------------------
Speaking of long dead people and long dead institutions; it would be interesting to observe
the face of Al Sharpton as he was being read the following narrative from history:
Slavery existed in the known world some 9,000 years ago, becoming pervasive most prominently
in Africa, where Tribal Warfare was chronic and continuous (until British, Belgian, French and Portuguese Colonists arrived in the 19th century).
For centuries, defeated tribesmen were summarily executed, until Tribal Chieftains realized that a marketplace existed for these captives. Hence the slave trade was born, initially in the markets of Jeddah in the Western Hejaz (Saudi Arabia).
Over centuries African slavery became an economic force across the Middle East as well as in North
America (our South), the Caribbean and Latin America.
Home truth is direct and simple. African Slavery has countless Fathers, therefore assigning
paternity/responsibility and looking for a handout, is a Fool's Errand.
At most, one in ten of those captives in Africa (who would have been executed, had they not an established trade value) were brought to the British American colonies. Another 18.4% were shipped to British colonies in the Caribbean. Portuguese Colonies in South America got the lion's share, some 38.5%, and Spanish colonies significantly in South America as well as Central and North America and the Philippines, received another 17.5%
 of the roughly ten million Africans who were sold into slavery rather than executed by their African captors.

So, even then, and not allowing for the number of slaves owned by blacks, the free blacks who owned them (if they owned any at all), white slaves, and the complications of intermarriage among the various groups, from Mulattoes to Wesorts, even beginning (if there was a fund) to try and sort out who should get what is impossible. Keeping the Communists who have perpetrated this abortion of history and jurisprudence from pilfering the funds would be a quantum level of difficulty greater.

Considering few of the original landowners who had many slaves had much left after the War, any gain for the multiple generations of descendants is dubious, especially the multitude reduced to sharecropping on carpetbagged land or who, having lost all, went West to rebuild their lives, where blue coated soldiers were still busy doing the Total War thing and 'liberating' tens of millions of acres of land from the owners.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 04:38:06 am »
Thanks, as a direct descendant of 400+ years of Virginians.

I have documented ancesters in the late 1600s in Virginia.  Likely came from the north of Englande

Later went to N. Carolina to next spend some time in Charlston S.C. Thence Greenville SC.

Off they went through Kentucky then stayin for awhile in Spencer county Indiana. They lived there when Abe Lincoln also lived nearby.

They next headed west
into Illinois. Along the way they became Mormon converts. In or near Nauvoo, Il they were met by other Mormon converts just arrived, from England.

They were among the first wagon trains to cross the continent to Utah by foot, wagon, handcart.

Eventually settled inSouthern Utah (Parowan, near St. George and Cedar City), then moved to Big Horn County Wyoming. There my grandmother would be born, and later wed a cowboy, twice her own age, he being the son of two immigrants from Sweden in  Dakota Territory.

So for this line, my father's mother, people were ever heading west, every generation or two.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 05:13:25 am »

Case closed.

Well me too.  If a person owned a slave they should pay reparations. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 05:26:34 am »
Actually I'm not surprised; the church seems as likely to find its meaning in being "woke" as in The Holy Spirit.

Ezekiel 18

18 As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.

19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

The economic conditions of black people in America were, in relative terms, much stronger immediately before LBJ's Great Society than they are today.  The time for reparations because of slavery and Jim Crow is long passed; if reparations are due today, in Biblical terms they are due from those who are accountable for the decline in black people's relative status over the last 50 years.

Ezekiel showing there that everyone should be judged or rewarded for their own sins, or their own faithfulness.  Not the sins or faithfulness of their parents.

And of course when God gave His One and Only Son as a sin sacrifice he paid the price.  For all mankind.

And I agree with your last sentence about relative status. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 05:49:36 am »

[...]

More to the point @HoustonSam , beyond whether slaves were treated well or not by their masters,
in the aggregate the most salient point goes wanting:

Slavery was the norm. Every nation had slaves and every nation was slaves at some point...
And there is slavery yet today... all over the world.

It is exclusive to the West, Britain, some French colonies, and particularly the USA that made men free. Regardless of the tumult in reaching that end, and regardless of the time thereafter working the giggles out of it, the gift of liberty - the second greatest gift there is - so precious and so seldom found, is beyond all price.

To suggest reparations is nothing short of insult.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 05:53:41 am »
Ezekiel showing there that everyone should be judged or rewarded for their own sins, or their own faithfulness.  Not the sins or faithfulness of their parents.

And of course when God gave His One and Only Son as a sin sacrifice he paid the price.  For all mankind.

And I agree with your last sentence about relative status.

Even so, Yah judges families, towns, and nations too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:21:02 am »

Shouldn't reparations be paid by those who sold the slaves?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 12:33:03 pm »

@Chosen Daughter

Why? Christ was the first Communist.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 01:02:45 pm »

Black Americans are most likely a net financial drag on the country. They owe us reparations.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 01:06:08 pm »

Yep...  make a law.  Make every person living pay the government $1M for every slave they have owned.   That will be the reparations pool.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 02:09:18 pm »
Black Americans are most likely a net financial drag on the country. They owe us reparations.

@goatprairie

Well,if they owe us reparations for bringing them here,surely they owe US for the money we spent bringing them here,feeding and housing them,teaching them trades,teaching them English (sorta),providing protection and educations,etc,etc,etc.

Plus the money spent to fight a national war to turn most of them into house pets in their own free housing,reimburse us for the crimes committed by blacks including prison expenses,the costs of AA,the cost of schooling them,a HUGE disturbing the peace fine for creating Rap "music",and a couple hundred years of compound interest,of course.

When will my check from them be arriving?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:13:53 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!