Author Topic: Gait-gate? Trump's unsteady walk prompts questions on his health  (Read 931 times)

Offline libertybele

Gait-gate? Trump's unsteady walk prompts questions on his health

From time to time, President Donald Trump will produce a doctor's note touting the excellence of his health. During the 2016 campaign, his personal New York physician, Dr. Harold Bornstein, wrote that Trump would be "the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency." (In 2017, after Bornstein told a reporter that Trump "dictated that whole letter," the doctor said Trump's people came to his office and seized all of his medical records on the president.)

Trump also argues that Joe Biden lacks the physical and mental stamina to be president. That's one more reason for heightened attention to how physically unsteady Trump appeared to be twice on Saturday at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where he delivered a commencement address.

Descending a ramp from the platform after his speech, Trump walked slowly and hesitantly, one step at a time, and looked down, as seen in this video clip. He resumed a more normal pace and gait two steps from the bottom. By Saturday night, aware of buzzing social media speculation, Trump sought to explain himself in a tweet: "The ramp, he said, was very long & steep, had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery. The last thing I was going to do is 'fall' for the Fake News to have fun with."

But Trump's claim about a slippery ramp was inconsistent with the sunny, dry weather. The grassy plain on which the commencement took place was dry, noted The Washington Post. Nor was the ramp particularly steep. Trump’s difficulty traversing stairs and ramps has come up before, most notably in January 2017, shortly after his inauguration, when he clutched the hand of Theresa May, then the British prime minister, as they walked at the White House, The New York Times recalled..............

.........The ramp walk wasn't the only disconcerting moment. During the speech, when Trump paused to take a sip of water, he began raising the glass with his right hand but couldn't lift it all the way to his mouth. He used his left hand to steady the glass and push it up from the bottom until it reached his lips, as seen in this video clip. In his address, Trump mispronounced the names of such well-known historical figures as Army Gens. Ulysses S. Grant and Douglas MacArthur..............

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/trump-health-tulsa-rally-coronavirus-floyd-racism-police-melania-book-mary-trump-bolton-biden-1.45711828

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Gait-gate? Trump's unsteady walk prompts questions on his health
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:55:35 pm »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

The ramp that I descended after my West Point Commencement speech was very long & steep, had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery. The last thing I was going to do is “fall” for the Fake News to have fun with. Final ten feet I ran down to level ground. Momentum!

10:57 PM · Jun 13, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272000237809414149

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 06:19:44 pm »
I've seen the 20-25 second video of Trump walking down the ramp. Two things stood out to me:

1. He was careful, but not unsteady.

2. There was an Army officer next to Trump the entire time. At no point did the officer assist Trump, nor did the officer's arm even move as if anticipating such a need.

This is an agenda-blown tempest in a chimeric teapot.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:47:41 pm »
The ramp appeared to my tired old eyes to be steep.  So treading carefully made sense.

Trump is 74 years old.  At that age, while he could be in good health, he may not be as steady as he once was, particularly on a steep incline.  I'm a few years younger and I know I wouldn't be running down that ramp.

I don't know about the water glass.  Can't say what's up with that.

People, when we get old, the body parts don't work like they used to.  I don't care how healthy one might be otherwise.  Doesn't necessarily mean a person can't fulfill presidential duties. 

You know, if he and his supporters hadn't mocked Hillary for her issues or Biden for his, maybe no one would have made a big deal about the ramp or the water glass.  Perhaps this hoopla is payback. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 06:52:29 pm »
I've seen the 20-25 second video of Trump walking down the ramp. Two things stood out to me:

2. There was an Army officer next to Trump the entire time. At no point did the officer assist Trump, nor did the officer's arm even move as if anticipating such a need.

What's in dispute is Trump said it was slippery, weather reports indicate that it was sunny and dry.  So of course the media will make it a focus.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 06:55:19 pm »
The ramp appeared to my tired old eyes to be steep.  So treading carefully made sense.

Trump is 74 years old.  At that age, while he could be in good health, he may not be as steady as he once was, particularly on a steep incline.  I'm a few years younger and I know I wouldn't be running down that ramp.

I don't know about the water glass.  Can't say what's up with that.

People, when we get old, the body parts don't work like they used to.  I don't care how healthy one might be otherwise.  Doesn't necessarily mean a person can't fulfill presidential duties. 

You know, if he and his supporters hadn't mocked Hillary for her issues or Biden for his, maybe no one would have made a big deal about the ramp or the water glass.  Perhaps this hoopla is payback.

If it weren't for Trump and his followers the media would be fair and unbiased? Gosh let me give that some thought.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 06:55:23 pm »
What's in dispute is Trump said it was slippery, weather reports indicate that it was sunny and dry.  So of course the media will make it a focus.

It was silly for Trump to make excuses and a phony one at that.  Something like this -- it's just not worth responding to.  Just makes this nonsense worse.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 06:57:01 pm »
If it weren't for Trump and his followers the media would be fair and unbiased? Gosh let me give that some thought.

I didn't say that.  But it sure seems by calling out Hillary and Biden for their afflictions, he invited more scrutiny into his own health. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 06:59:42 pm »

MSM is focusing on this while their dim candidate needs a bib for drool protection?  Imagine that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 07:12:45 pm »
I didn't say that.  But it sure seems by calling out Hillary and Biden for their afflictions, he invited more scrutiny into his own health.

Considering the left's treatment of Nixon for his sweaty lip, Ford for his clumsiness, Reagan for his age, Dan Quayle for his IQ, etc etc I look at Trump's comments as payback.

Seriously, I do not think the media needs a reason to unfairly criticize Trump.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:15:21 pm by skeeter »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 07:56:35 pm »

Aren’t they all.

Reminds me of Lucy and the football. No matter how many times she snatches the ball away, NeverTrumpers take a run at it.  :tongue2:

happy77

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 08:32:23 pm »

I agree. And might I add...you certainly have a great way with words!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 08:39:58 pm »
Depending on the smoothness of the surface and shoe soles, a surface does not have to be wet to be slippery.  I got rid of a pair of shoes that were too "slidey" on my home's tile floor, which has no slant like a ramp.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »

I took a wicked fall on a lovely sunny day @libertybele   ... Turns out I should have scuffed up the soles of my new shoes  happy77

The President always pays attention when he walks down stairs or ramps ...... he's been very honest about it ... and you can see his caution when he walks out of an aircraft or down steps after a rally.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 09:33:00 pm »
I took a wicked fall on a lovely sunny day @libertybele   ... Turns out I should have scuffed up the soles of my new shoes  happy77

The President always pays attention when he walks down stairs or ramps ...... he's been very honest about it ... and you can see his caution when he walks out of an aircraft or down steps after a rally.

I am not finding fault with the President.  I posted this as I have noted a couple of time when he has appeared very weary; I've been concerned about his health for awhile. He's been under enormous pressure; more pressure I'd venture to say than any other President.

I am concerned but also realize the liberal media will find fault with anything the man does.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 09:41:20 pm »
Depending on the smoothness of the surface and shoe soles, a surface does not have to be wet to be slippery.  I got rid of a pair of shoes that were too "slidey" on my home's tile floor, which has no slant like a ramp.

Anyone who is elderly, even someone like me in my early '60's takes extra precautions for fall protection and prevention.  A broken hip often is a death sentence for the elderly.  I don't blame Trump one bit.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 10:13:56 pm »
Considering the left's treatment of Nixon for his sweaty lip, Ford for his clumsiness, Reagan for his age, Dan Quayle for his IQ, etc etc I look at Trump's comments as payback.

Nor do SOME on this CONSERVATIVE HUB.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 10:17:55 pm »

The Chevy Chase Ford meme was especially puzzlesome and unfair, considering he was probably the greatest POTUS athlete in history. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

That's right... Me too... And why I hardly ever wear loafers or even sh*tkickers anymore. Pretty much hikers of one sort or another, always with plenty of traction.

I also pay strict attention when walking downhill... Big men lose limberness as they age, and being top-heavy already (and me more than most), tipping over going downhill becomes more likely. It's a flexibility thing. Even something as small as a curb - I am more likely to step off a curb sideways than forward.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 11:40:26 pm »
I have been in a wheelchair for the last week or so. We put up a ramp so I can easily roll into the house.... One of the things we used to paint it was sand, for traction. Sand works.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 03:46:44 am »
I have been in a wheelchair for the last week or so. We put up a ramp so I can easily roll into the house.... One of the things we used to paint it was sand, for traction. Sand works.

I feel ya man. I was in one of those accursed things for 7 years. Get one with a motor if you can. They are generally around used.

And we use crushed walnut shells in the paint up here... Sand is fine, but ice...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:48:24 am by roamer_1 »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 04:41:33 am »

Exactly, I have a pair of dress shoes that are very slidey on any smooth service. That ramp looked steep to me, too.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 04:56:38 am »
It can be slippery on a dry sunny day, too. A lot depends on what his shoe soles are made of and the surface of the ramp. Leather can be the worst on some surfaces, and add any sand and it can be worse, not better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dancer

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 07:57:32 am »
It can be slippery on a dry sunny day, too. A lot depends on what his shoe soles are made of and the surface of the ramp. Leather can be the worst on some surfaces, and add any sand and it can be worse, not better.
Yep.  Leather soles are a nightmare on shiny surfaces.