Author Topic: Masks now seen as vital tool in coronavirus fight  (Read 412 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Masks now seen as vital tool in coronavirus fight
« on: June 13, 2020, 01:46:03 pm »
Masks now seen as vital tool in coronavirus fight
By Peter Sullivan - 06/13/20 06:56 AM EDT

Evidence is mounting that widespread mask-wearing can significantly slow the spread of coronavirus and help reduce the need for future lockdowns.

Public health authorities did not initially put an emphasis on masks, but that's changed and there is now increasing consensus that they play an important role in hindering transmission of the virus at a time when wearing one has become politicized as some states and businesses have made them a requirement for certain activities.

Wearing a mask is also seen by experts as a relatively easy action that could help avoid much costlier responses like stay at home orders and closing businesses.

“It's a lot less economically disruptive to wear a mask than to shut society, so I can't understand some of the resistance to mask wearing,” Tom Frieden, the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said on a call with reporters on Thursday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/coronavirus-report/502539-masks-now-seen-as-vital-tool-in-coronavirus-fight
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Masks now seen as vital tool in coronavirus fight
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:14:08 pm »
I posted two journal articles regarding the efficacy of masks in the main coronavirus discussion thread.

The anecdotal evidence seems to strongly imply they work... and they're a far better, more workable solution than mass societal disruption. I keep one in my pocket at all times when I go into a public building, even when I sing in church. But then again, I spend a lot of time outside and away from people so I don't need to wear one as often.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 06:35:55 pm »
Widespread mask-wearing could prevent COVID-19 second waves: study

In this study, researchers linked the dynamics of spread between people with population-level models to assess the effect on the disease’s reproduction rate, or R value, of different scenarios of mask adoption combined with periods of lockdown.

The R value measures the average number of people that one infected person will pass the disease on to. An R value above 1 can lead to exponential growth.

The study found that if people wear masks whenever they are in public it is twice as effective at reducing the R value than if masks are only worn after symptoms appear.

In all scenarios the study looked at, routine face mask use by 50% or more of the population reduced COVID-19 spread to an R of less than 1.0, flattening future disease waves and allowing for less stringent lockdowns.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-masks-study/widespread-mask-wearing-could-prevent-covid-19-second-waves-study-idUSKBN23G37V

I'm all for less stringent lockdowns.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 07:59:50 pm »
Here in Connecticut, masks are required to enter supermarkets, businesses, etc.
I don't like wearing it, but I'm adhering to that requirement for now.

Although the reported new cases of the virus have been falling somewhat in the last couple of weeks, the daily reported increase remains high enough for one to conclude "this ain't over yet".

Yet I've noticed from my spreadsheet (which records total cases/new cases/deaths daily for the state, county and town) that Fairfield county (which initially had the highest numbers) is now having significantly lower numbers vis-a-vis other parts of the state.

So I think it's fair to say that -- at least here in Fairfield county -- the "first wave" has come and gone. Whether there's going to be a second one... can't say yet.

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:56:16 pm »
I am the mother of an NP who practices in a northern NJ hospital with a high-level NICU.  The hospital is running short of purposeful masks.  How come, I wonder?  Could it have anything to do with the many, many fashionistas who feel obligated to wear color coordinated masks so they can make a loverly fashion statement?  That is NOT the purpose of medical masks, you dips!  If you people feel you MUST wear something while a 'pandemic' is taking place, then PLEASE wear them properly.

Btw, a mask isn't going to do much to save your life.   Why not wash your hands after using toilet facilities?  hmmm... that might help!

What did you all say the death rate is for this Chinese virus?   ****sheep****