Author Topic: NY Times op-ed clears up 'Defund the police' confusion: 'Yes, we mean literally abolish the police'  (Read 287 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
NY Times op-ed clears up 'Defund the police' confusion: 'Yes, we mean literally abolish the police'

A New York Times op-ed published Friday attempted to make clear what "Defund the police" actually means.

Since the May 25 death of George Floyd, police reform has been debated by lawmakers and elected officials across the country. Some of the most vocal protests have been pushing a "Defund the police" movement, a mantra that was notably painted on a street just steps from the White House.

However, that has sparked a debate within itself as to whether that slogan is a broad description of police reform or if it truly means the end of police in America.

Anti-criminalization activist Mariame Kaba attempted to settle the debate with the op-ed, "Yes, we mean literally abolish the police."

"Congressional Democrats want to make it easier to identify and prosecute police misconduct; Joe Biden wants to give police departments $300 million. But efforts to solve police violence through liberal reforms like these have failed for nearly a century," Kaba began. "Enough. We can’t reform the police. The only way to diminish police violence is to reduce contact between the public and the police."..............

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ny-times-op-ed-clears-up-defund-the-police-confusion-yes-we-mean-literally-abolish-the-police
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm glad to hear the NYT sacked that op-ed Editor and fixed up their policies on who can write an op-ed piece.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: