Author Topic: Both Left and Right Should Stop Blithely Wishing for a New Civil War  (Read 283 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
All that accomplishes is encouraging us to view our fellow Americans as enemies, to see ourselves as members of warring tribes rather than citizens of a nation.
By Steven Greenhut
https://reason.com/2020/06/12/both-left-and-right-should-stop-blithely-wishing-for-a-new-civil-war/

. . . We should never make light of what a Civil War would mean. Nor should we think that our current discord comes close to the level of division that had existed in our past. After the Civil War, the nation struggled through Reconstruction, decades of civil-rights battles because of the systemic denial of equal rights to a large portion of the citizenry and, of course, the 1960s-era protests over the Vietnam War.

These current events are the most disruptive times in many of our lifetimes, but they are nothing new—nor are they particularly awful. We are not headed toward a new civil war, so everyone—on the Left and Right—should stop using over-the-top rhetoric. It only encourages us to view our fellow Americans as enemies, to see ourselves as members of warring tribes rather than citizens of a nation, and desensitizes us to violence. The nation has real divisions, and singing Kumbaya won't heal them, but our society still functions remarkably well.

Civil wars take place when neither side sees any hope under the current arrangements. I see lots of hope. If you spend hours on social media, you might conclude otherwise. But try taking a break from reading the odd thoughts of your Aunt Agnes or arguing about politics with a "friend" you may never have even met in person. Do you see people at each other's throats when you head to the bank, store or office? Of course not.

We may not be united, but this remains a wealthy and generally peaceful nation. Even the latest conflicts can be resolved with reasonable solutions that are entirely attainable within our system. Before the riots, Americans seemed to agree on the need for police reforms. We don't need a revolution to, say, reform the union protections that keep bad officers on the force . . .

. . . Instead of bloviating about civil wars, we need to talk about restoring civil society . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Both Left and Right Should Stop Blithely Wishing for a New Civil War
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 06:52:24 pm »
"but our society still functions remarkably well."

Has Mr. Greenhut been living under a rock the past three months?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 09:56:21 pm »
We have seen Communist instigated protests co-opting race issues before, complete with the optional looting and burning package. Welcome to 1968. The salient difference, however, is that in 1968 we had politicians who had the balls to do something about the lawlessness, rather than Communist sympathizers in positions of power.

The vast majority of people who live in these areas, regardless of their race, have been thrown to the wolves for the appearance of political correctness, casualties of the lack of resolve of those politicians to do their F**king Jobs and maintain order.

Those are the people who should be marching, those who have been discarded to allow the tantrums of a minority, marching with one thought in mind.
The removal from office of those who will not do their job.

Those who should be marching, whose children have lived in terror, whose businesses or places of employ have been looted, damaged, destroyed, or burned, would represent every race and creed, because they are that majority whose voice is being silenced on social media, who get no exposure in the Press, are the people whose grievance is not being heard.

Take note AMERICA, this is what these people, both criminal actors and those who will not act, in solidarity with them, have in store for you.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:07 pm »
My answer to Mr. Greenhut:
You may not be interested in a new Civil War.
But a new Civil War may be interested in you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:48:38 am »
I'm certainly not blithe about it, but it concerns the Hell out of me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:15 am »
I don't wish for it to happen. I just recognize that it's inevitable.  :shrug:
Let it burn.