Author Topic: Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Ship Names  (Read 246 times)

rangerrebew

Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Ship Names
« on: June 12, 2020, 10:14:06 am »
Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Ship Names
June 11, 2020 7:07 AM

The following is the June 10, 2020 Congressional Research Service report, Navy Ship Names: Background for Congress.
From the report

Names for Navy ships traditionally have been chosen and announced by the Secretary of the Navy, under the direction of the President and in accordance with rules prescribed by Congress. Rules for giving certain types of names to certain types of Navy ships have evolved over time. There have been exceptions to the Navy’s ship-naming rules, particularly for the purpose of naming a ship for a person when the rule for that type of ship would have called for it to be named for something else. Some observers have perceived a breakdown in, or corruption of, the rules for naming Navy ships. On July 13, 2012, the Navy submitted to Congress a 73-page report on the Navy’s policies and practices for naming ships.

For ship types now being procured for the Navy, or recently procured for the Navy, naming rules can be summarized as follows:

https://news.usni.org/2020/06/11/report-to-congress-on-u-s-navy-ship-names-8

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Ship Names
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:00 am »
Coming soon....  USS Lenin, Trotsky, Marx, MLK, Malcolm X, and George Floyd.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Report to Congress on U.S. Navy Ship Names
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 10:53:27 pm »
Coming soon....  USS Lenin, Trotsky, Marx, MLK, Malcolm X, and George Floyd.
How could you forget USS(R) Kaepernick?